dutchware hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Etowah, HG,Bearpaw
    Insulation
    EE top, HG Bottom
    Suspension
    hugger + Whoopie

Hummingbird hammock straps...weight/material question

Are Hummingbird hammock straps made out of fairy dust? I made my own whoopies, lightweight straps and carbon fiber toggles....weighs more than twice what the hummingbird set up is. Granted, mine is a little longer but not twice the length.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    Derek over at The Ultimate Hang has reviewed Hummingbirds tree straps and soft shackles. He's also done a comparison of various suspension systems (including one from Hummingbird).

You might find that helpful.

Hammock
    Dutchware Halfwit
    Tarp
    HG hex tarp
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    It's just a thinner strap.

I wish that that the website would list the breaking strength or the weight/foot of the webbing. I did some googling and it seems like military spec IV nylon webbing has a breaking strength of only 1000 pounds. I personally would avoid these for that reason.

Dutchware sells kevlar straps which are stronger, super lightweight, and don't stretch as much as the hummingbird straps.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I've looked at this product before, and it seems fine to me, but after closer inspection of their specifications, as the member mentioned above, there are some inconsistencies. The Hummingbird website lists the material as Type IV mil-spec webbing, but Type IV is 3/4" webbing, and HH says their straps are 1" wide. I think they are actually using Type III webbing, which is 1" wide and slightly (about 16%) thinner than Type IV. According to specification A-A-55301, it's the 1" Type III webbing that has a minimum breaking strength of 1000 pounds, while the 3/4" Type IV, even though it's thicker, can break at 875 pounds. To use mil-spec nylon webbing that matches the same load capacity, HH would probably have to use 1.5" webbing conforming to MIL-W-17337-F (approximately the same thickness as Type III but 50% wider with a stronger weave), which is what is spec'd for life preservers and load-carrying equipment, with a breaking strength of around 1800 pounds. (I used to build rifle slings out of 17337.) For comparison, I believe the premium poly webbing that Dutch sells has a minimum breaking strength of over 1500 pounds, about 50% stronger, and typical 7/64" Amsteep whoopies are stronger than that (1600 pounds before de-rating for splices). If you use a live load safety factor for hammock applications of between 3:1 and 5:1, I'd say that the safety margin could be somewhat diminished for heavier hangers, since both the webbing and the Spectra line are rated for lighter duty; that said, as Derek mentions in his review, HH says the point of failure in their testing is in the Spectra Line construction rather than the webbing. I will say that, from my own testing and first-hand experience with there types of mil-spec nylon webbing, under the live load of an average human body or two, there is not much stretch at all in 5 feet of the 1.5"17337 stuff, although there may be a bit more in the 1" that HH uses.

https://www.milspecmonkey.com/materials/A-A-55301.pdf
    https://www.milspecmonkey.com/materi...337F-nylon.pdf
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 10-28-2016 at 09:15.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar Straps
    Anyone know where you can purchase that 1500 lbs spectra cord? It looks about as thin as dynaglide but with a higher breaking strength.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phincubator; EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Is anyone aware of any reports of this suspension system failing?

• + New Posts