Overland Ultralight
    Tarp
    Custom cuben fiber
    Insulation
    Integrated Down
    Suspension
    OverlandSingleLine

Thoughts on a single line suspension

I was hoping to get some input on thoughts about using a single line structural/tarp suspension, similar to the Carolina Red/KoKomo suspension from Phantom Grappler. I have been putting the final touches on the hammocks that I have been making and have been thinking about switching everything over to the single line approach. The version I have been using has a fixed structural ridgeline and UCRs on the end. At the bottom of the prussick knot on the UCR, I have a burried loop which works great for the tarp tie out. I am using 7/64" Amsteel for the regular one and Dynaglide for an ultralight version.

I would love to hear experiences, why you like it or don't, what worked for you and what hasn't. Thanks!

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    Single Line Suspension.jpgSLS.jpg

These were my thoughts from a while back. My concern is being able to get enough tension on the system, while retaining the ability to loosen it later.

Hammock
    Overland Ultralight
    Tarp
    Custom cuben fiber
    Insulation
    Integrated Down
    Suspension
    OverlandSingleLine
    I have been trying to simplify everything in an effort to keep it all attached including the tree straps and eliminate all of the hardware. I love the idea of having everything I need without the risk of losing a clip or any other hardware. (i love my dutch clips, but i have lost one before and those little suckers arent cheap). Here is a drawing of the system I have been making using Dyneema webbing and Amsteel from Dutch. I am using snake skins on the hammock and a double ended stuff sack to store it all away. I easily attach the tarp to the tieout loops at the end of the UCR bury. Let me know what you think.

IMG_0132.jpg

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    mschoe and bowl-maker the journey of single line suspension is a mesmerizing trail. I gotta make a new video showing how easy it is to rig Kokomo--it's fast--just not as fast as JeremyFireinMyBones. If your rig works for you--then that is customized to your gear--Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Overland Ultralight
    Tarp
    Custom cuben fiber
    Insulation
    Integrated Down
    Suspension
    OverlandSingleLine
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    mschoe and bowl-maker the journey of single line suspension is a mesmerizing trail. I gotta make a new video showing how easy it is to rig Kokomo--it's fast--just not as fast as JeremyFireinMyBones. If your rig works for you--then that is customized to your gear--Good luck!

Thanks! I have definitely taken some cues from your work and I appreciate the encouragement. I am planning on trying to sell this system with my hammocks when I get it a little more dialed in. Part of the effort is to reduce the time it takes to make one (or 100 for that matter). It currently takes 15 minutes to make the suspension and 2 of the grappler shackles.

I am currently working on a modification that would make the ridgeline removable/adjustable. How important is it to have an adjustable ridgeline vs a fixed one?

Images
    Keep us posted on your SLS adventures.

I had a bit of a dalliance with 'em, but eventually went back to separates.
    Didn't find a good way of stopping the tension on the tarp changing when you got in the hammock.
    But, more importantly, I missed the adaptability of being able to pitch my tarp high or low, depending in weather conditins.

Hammock
    Overland Ultralight
    Tarp
    Custom cuben fiber
    Insulation
    Integrated Down
    Suspension
    OverlandSingleLine
    Will do, I have been testing out an idea this weekend which is a slight modification to the system where the ridgeline is actually moveable, or able to be disconnected. It is a soft shackle attached with a prussik on one end and the ridgeline with a stopper knot attached with a prussick on the other side. The stopper knot is slipped through the shackle when you want a ridgeline, and can tightened as needed with the tarp when it is attached. I found that based on the work that Phantom Grappler did on the Kokomo suspension, that 20" seems to work great based on a 10' tarp and the 10.5' hammocks I am making.

Has anyone found a better way to attach the ridgeline to the main hammock line other than a prussik?

Hammock
    Overland Ultralight
    Tarp
    Custom cuben fiber
    Insulation
    Integrated Down
    Suspension
    OverlandSingleLine
    Here are some recent photos.

Single line suspension system:

Ridgeline:

Soft Shackle:

Grapplers Shackle

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    I've always used a single line suspension, although I do use toggles to connected to tree straps and I used the Dutch speed hooks to connect to my continuous loop on the hammock.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

• + New Posts