Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    What Cordage are you using for your tarp. Is it 1.25 mm Z Line or something else?
    It is indeed 1.25mm ZLine. Of course Dutch just came out with his 1.0mm Dutchwire, which is just a smaller diameter of the same cord. I am probably going to pick up some of that, for the panel pulls.

And a couple more things that I should have added to my list of notes:

1. I put 0.5" beastee dee rings on all tie outs. They add a bit of weight, but they do give it a very finished look. My hope was to make it easy on myself for winter when I swap to larger diameter cord in lineloc 3s for ease of use with gloves/snow. It also adds a place where I can tie off another attachment, which brings me to the other point...

2. Shock cord with mini side release buckles from Dutch on the doors. These are great. I can easily shut of an end by clipping in, and I can clip the doors up by connecting buckles from oposite ends. Quick, simple, easy, and clean. I may switch to somthing a little more versatile later (maybe dutch door hooks) and use my RL loops (small loops of 1/4" nylon flat cord stuck to the inside of ridgeline) to clip the doors out of the way.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

This is basically the exact tarp I want to build. I'm guessing the width is "two widths of cuben" How long is the ridgeline? 11 feet?

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    dnadig, yep, it is basically two "widths of cuben" wide. A little less because I put a shallow cat cut along each side as well.

The ridgeline is right at 11 feet. Part of me thinks I should have gone slightly shorter, actually. I typically hang in a 10ft or 10.5ft hammock, so the 11ft tarp gives lots of coverage on the ends, about 16". However, because the tarp is longer, I have to hang it a little higher above the hammock to avoid the hammock suspension. Because cuben isn't all that wide, this means there is more exposure on the sides.

If I were to do it again, I would likely shorten it to 10ft. This would give me 10" of coverage on each end, which is still quite a bit considering you can close the doors in very easily, and it would give me an extra ~4" of coverage on the sides, and it would be tad lighter. I would also make the ridgeline reinforcements out of the same 1.43 cuben as the rest of the reinforcements, instead of using the heavier hybrid fabric. I think its just overkill.

Hopefully your build goes well!

Thanks. I'll try and take pics. I'm working with the .51 Cuben exclusively, and will make reinforcements from layering (at least that's the plan). We'll see how it goes. I ordered some D-rings and triangles for the connection points, and am just going to go slow and try and be meticulous. If it all goes horribly wrong? Well, lots of stuff sacks!!!

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    I would say use 2 layers of the 0.51 cuben for reinforcements then; maybe one on each side of the tarp for a "sandwich" reinforcement. If you tape/bond your pieces, I think that would be plenty strong.

And that's true, you could have lots of stuff sacks! and maybe a pack liner or two. Take your time and I doubt it will come to that. Other than 2 stuff sacks, this tarp was basically my first time handling cuben.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123