Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images

WV > Dolly Sods 9-11 Dec

Hey Folks,

I'm looking to do a two nighter to Dolly Sods 9-11 December. I've never been, so I'm trying to solicit some advice/expertise from those who have done it before. I'm looking to do what I'm assuming is the trip most foks wind up doing. It's here and pictured below.

My biggest question is about the weather. Weather Underground say it's historically it's about a high of 60 and low of 30ish. Does that seem accurate? How is precipitation that time of year?

How crowded is it? How hard is it to hang? Fires allowed?

Come-alongs always welcome.

Thanks for any input! Looking forward to it or else go crazy.

mnf-dollysods-bp2-w.jpg
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Plenty of places to hang and fires allowed. I've never been in December so I'm not sure how the weather is.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    The weather can change in a very short time. Be prepared. The historical average doesn't tell you much because the fluctuations are rapid and sometimes extreme. You can compensate by choosing routes and campsite locations to suit the weather. Country Roads may chime in here; she has lots of experience at DS.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Late update for the area was 10/6/2016 - campfire ban was still in effect. The WV fire season started Oct 1 and continues until Jan 1. Link to notice page for Mon Nat. Forest: http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/mnf/al...ces/?aid=37098 You could also call them and double check.
    So, if the ban is lifted, you can have a fire between 5 pm and 7 am. December temps can range from 60's during the days to teens during the day. Nights range from single digits (last year comes to mind) to the mid-40's. Definitely take your 3-season gear. Look for sheltered campsites (spruces or hills), since the wind can be brutal (although it often calms down at night and picks up again during the day). On weekdays in December, you may not see anyone; weekends you will probably see some people. There are still some hunting seasons in then, so wear at least a bit of blaze orange. Hanging a hammock is not a problem (even at the referenced beach - there is a spruce grove you can hang in adjacent to the sandy beach). Unless we get a lot of rain, the stream crossings should be okay. The water will be cold, but not near as cold as the spring time water temps. When you cross a stream, you should pick up the main trail almost directly across from where you entered the creek. If you see a trail heading up or down stream, it may be a trail to campsites. Look for the cairns on the other side. Most trails are now marked with signage, but sometimes the signs fall over or get knocked down by bears.
    If you do head up the Lions Head, there is a less treacherous route than the rock scramble. From the Big stonecoal intersection, the route is about 1/3 mile from there. Keep a look out for a set of double cairns, one on each side of the main trail. The route will be up hill (on the left from Big stonecoal). It is steep, but less dangerous. The trail to the Lions head will be at the far end of the pine grove. If you are coming in from the Breathed Mtn trail end, the route will be a short distance past the most southern point of Rocky point trail (look for the double cairns after you come off the really rocky treadway). Check the forecast before you leave home. The area can get VERY heavy from late Oct onward. There was a light snow up that way last weekend. If you do go, remember: pictures or it didn't happen

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    MacCat standard
    Insulation
    Undergound Quilt
    Suspension
    Arrowhead whoopies
    The weather is very erratic that time of year. To give you an idea, the first two pics in this post are from the day after Thanksgiving in 2014 and 2015. We needed snowshoes in 2014 and I hiked in shorts in 2015.

http://backpackandbeer.blogspot.com/...olly-sods.html

Hammock
    Dutch and Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG WP 12ft / UGQ W
    Insulation
    HG, UGQ and WB
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff
    I'd love to go that time of year.. Dec 10 is my wife's birthday though. Sounds like a ton of fun.. we went in mid July when it was around 100deg back home, we experienced low 70s during the day, and upper 50s at night. I'd imagine that December could be anywhere from mid teens(or lower) to 30s for the low, and it can get pretty windy there too.. Bring the down and have fun!

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    Thank you immensely for all the input. It sounds like it's basically up in the air as to weather. I'm going to keep an eye on things and come up with a backup pan I believe. My 10° degree quilts sound like they may be borderline depending upon how things go.

CR! Thanks for the awesome write up. That's definite info I enjoy seeing.

Again, everyone thank you very much. Hopefully, the weather will work out for me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    You are welcome. You can't have too much information. I like to consult hammockforums people when I am going to a new place; they are very generous with great info.
    Last Weds morning, I woke up to low 50's; this Monday night, it will most likely be in the low 20's or lower. That is what makes the Sods so much fun.

• + New Posts