Hammock
    DH/DIY
    Insulation
    WB wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing/ Whoopie

Topcover vent

Hello.
    I`m an owner of a dangerbird with topcover. havent used the topcover yet. it do not have the vent. how well do the vent actual work for condensation?

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Worked great on my ThunderBird, no complaints. The vent on my T.Bird took care of the condensation. However we are all different and we Hang in different conditions. You might get the same effect by simply unzipping your topcover a bit to keep air circulating.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Venting helps however you can manage it.

I had a 3 season North Face 2 person tent. With the fly off, the top was entirely netting, with the fly on, it had a top vent, but the vent didn't work at all and would condensate the inside if I didn't guy out the fly at the bottom too, to let air in.

Propper venting is an art in itself (that I haven't entirely mastered), that changes as conditions change, though in certain conditions, there's nothing you can really do without heating the space to push the dew point to the outside of the space.

If snow or ice is stuck to the outside, you'll have condensation on the inside surface no matter what. If you're in the middle of a bank of fog, the outsides of everything will be wet, even inside your cover. Where the air goes, so also goes the humidity

Yes you can unzip to vent... But HOW MUCH is the question... You won't know if you unzipped too little until enough moisture collects for you to notice. Depending on conditions, you might not know until the morning, when you get up to pee and realize that the inside is dripping.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    In winter, it doesn't help much at all. I slept out last year at -12° F, and I woke up around 3 AM because nature called and unzipping the side of my Sparrow w/ vented overcover unleashed an avalanche of snow. Maybe in conditions less extreme it wouldn't be so bad, but I don't really need an overcover until it's well below freezing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    DH/DIY
    Insulation
    WB wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing/ Whoopie
    I know the condensation can freese inside, it did that on my spindrift. But the spindrift does not have any vent beside zippers. So i hoped if i made a vent in the cover for my diy i redused condensaton.
    Last edited by Kevinslotten; 10-29-2016 at 18:21.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinslotten View Post
    Hello.
    I`m an owner of a dangerbird with topcover. havent used the topcover yet. it do not have the vent. how well do the vent actual work for condensation?
    You can easily adjust the amount of venting on your DangerBird by how far you zip the overcover on. The mistake many folks make is thinking they must zip the overcover on completely without providing any airflow inside the hammock. This will build up excess moisture inside the hammock and create a warm, but sweaty environment. Different folks seem to produce different amounts of moisture inside the hammock and one of the tricky things is to monitor the venting you personally need. I will reach up during the night after I've been in the hammock a little while and feel for excess moisture on the inside of the overcover.

I'm a pretty cold sleeper and often zip the overcover on just up to my shoulders, leaving a very large opening at head end of the hammock. This does a great job for me of blocking wind gusts and slightly restricting airflow across my body.

Hope this helps.
    Randy

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ, yeti
    Suspension
    Tree strap,whoopie
    I am also considering of buying a DH with topcover but i am not certain what to take: with or without ventilation...isn't it so that when you take it with ventilation that the durability gets a little less?

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingels View Post
    I am also considering of buying a DH with topcover but i am not certain what to take: with or without ventilation...isn't it so that when you take it with ventilation that the durability gets a little less?
    I really dont think with or without vent effects the durability at all, but you really dont need the vent as you can just not zip it all the way shut, leave as much or as little open as you find what amount of an opening works best for you.This can change anyway depending on how cold it is and other weather facters.
    I have a Thunderbird and find about a foot or so of an opening works best for me, so far i have not had any condensation issues at all.
    Good luck with your decision, You really cant go wrong with a DH, imo!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ, yeti
    Suspension
    Tree strap,whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    I really dont think with or without vent effects the durability at all, but you really dont need the vent as you can just not zip it all the way shut, leave as much or as little open as you find what amount of an opening works best for you.This can change anyway depending on how cold it is and other weather facters.
    I have a Thunderbird and find about a foot or so of an opening works best for me, so far i have not had any condensation issues at all.
    Good luck with your decision, You really cant go wrong with a DH, imo!!!
    Exactly my opinion to...
    you can leave the hammock open and ventilatie that way but i do think that the durability is less...1: you have the stitched part between mesh and the fabric.
    2: mesh is less strong than fabric, isn't it?

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    Worked great on my ThunderBird, no complaints. The vent on my T.Bird took care of the condensation. However we are all different and we Hang in different conditions. You might get the same effect by simply unzipping your topcover a bit to keep air circulating.
    That's what I do, it's an experiment each time with wind and tarp height above ridge line, but it's been workable.

• + New Posts