Tarp
    HG Cuben / Wasps
    Insulation
    HG and UGQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Randerson View Post
    Hey CBX133,
    Cave Creek Hammocks is my company, so I'm a little partial, haha! Always glad to to find more local hangers. If you ever want to meet up and check out/talk gear, let me know. 50" is standard width for me, and 55" is wide, but can always talk about custom width if needed. Feel free to send a PM or email me at [email protected]
    Rick

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
    Very cool to see a local company in the hammock game. Makes sense now seeing your links in your sig now hehe. Will definitely have to talk more, as I'm always down to talk about gear.

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    I use my ClimaSheild Apex quilt on the ground quite a bit. I also use it in the hammock. I am 5'11" and around 190lbs, so fairly similar.

I built it to be right at 55" wide at the shoulders. In my opinion, this is a good width. It gives me a good tuck on the sides to seal out drafts. I don't have any issues sleeping on my side with it. I have started using a breathable lightweight bivy recently, which helps with the draft issue. If you are going to be using a more open shelter (tarp, 'mid) on the ground and don't use a bivy, I could see bumping the width a little more. I also think the half taper helps with this, as it gives good coverage around the hips.

I suggest looking very closely at different companies' pad attachment system. For ground use, this can make or break a quilt. If the attachment doesn't stay put, it will let in drafts. If you can't easily adjust it, it is pain in the butt. If it takes a long time to put on, it is frustrating. I personally have had really good luck with Enlightened Equipment's pad attachment (and my copies thereof). I have also used Katabatic's system, which is the bee's knees.

To sum up, I suggest a 55-58" width, depending on the shelter you use, and make sure to do some serious research about the pad attachment system.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12