diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Here is the thread from when I was playing with a Single Line Suspension.
    Thanks Olddog, appreciate the link. Never saw this one. I like where you landed with your design. Do you still use this suspension, or has it evolved?
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    I call it an over reaching span. When I set up and my tarp ridgeline is too short, I can lash it through my tree huggers and be safe for the most part, but my tarp moves around a lot and makes noise when I do that. So I try not to, if at all possible

Cheers,
    the Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Hey, i'm looking for the term used to describe when a hammock and tarp share the same suspension. Bowing to the knowledge of the community. Note: if you're going to give me an acronym like SLS, please spell it out.
    I think it's funny that you knew the acronym, but didn't know you knew the acronym!

That was how I set mine up when I first started hanging, but it only really works if you're on the bleeding edge of adequate size for your rig, and it's kind of a pain to set up, because tarps and cords stretch, and due to sharing a suspension there's not much room for variation, so one hang your tarp might be fine, while the next hang it's too loose, because of the tree spacing. I did end up figuring out a way to use small bungies to help even it out, but since then. I've switched to using much bigger winter tarps which definitely won't work with SLS

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    No, it has been retired and replaced with Kevlar straps and version 1 Speedhooks. MAD777, our group engineer, kept reminding me of the excess loads this system places on the trees. It was great being able to span between trees that no one else could use but you did need to be cautious of the size of trees
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by WalksIn2Trees View Post
    I think it's funny that you knew the acronym, but didn't know you knew the acronym!
    Yeah, I thought it might be SLS but wasn't positive.

Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    No, it has been retired and replaced with Kevlar straps and version 1 Speedhooks. MAD777, our group engineer, kept reminding me of the excess loads this system places on the trees. It was great being able to span between trees that no one else could use but you did need to be cautious of the size of trees
    Thanks. I'm using a different setup than your diagram, but liked the concept on yours. The flaw in my current setup is that I can't setup the tarp until the hammock is hung. Not good on a rainy day. I'll be changing that when I get some time to fiddle with my setup. That's why I've been trying to find the right term, to search around to see how others have solved the problem. I hadn't planned on doing a SLS, but I had to improvise a tarp on a trip and hanging it off the hammock suspension was the easiest way to make it happen. Discovered I liked the result, and appreciated the simplicity as I packed and rehung it over the next couple of days.

Appreciate all the responses.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    I was always confused by SLS and SRL....the two kinda blended together when I read it. I thought the single line suspension was when you did something like a single line between two trees and you'd prussic your hammock to it. I didn't think about it being the tarp and hammock sharing the same suspension.
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

Quote Originally Posted by wa4chq View Post
    I was always confused by SLS and SRL....the two kinda blended together when I read it. I thought the single line suspension was when you did something like a single line between two trees and you'd prussic your hammock to it. I didn't think about it being the tarp and hammock sharing the same suspension.
    +1 on this.

Some might be confused about the tarp ridge line names too. CRL= Continuous Ridge Line
    What is the name for the type of ridge line that is divided into two separate pieces? I'm having a total mind blank!!!

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Thanks gents. You guys just reminded me where I saw this first.

@FireInMyBones Jeremy, I think your vids were the first place I saw a setup combining tarp and hammock. Di you know if it has a name or did you give it one?

https://youtu.be/RGOS0-XvQgk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I never gave it a name other than the "Deluxe Suspension." I have heard other terms like the SLS, but I never felt it was quite adequate, just a product description. I'm certainly open to the input of the majority/ community. The one difference I thought of between the Single Line Suspension and what I use is the double water break. The math took a while to figure out, but moving the tarp further up the line is the best start.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I think he calls it a "deluxe suspension system."

"The deluxe suspension system is our unique, all-in-one strap suspension that is detachable from the hammock and is custom-designed to hang your tarp on the same strap as the hammock. The optional deluxe suspension is an additional $40. Suspension weight is 155g/5.45oz."
    Thank you, sir for doing the leg work while I was away.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12