Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider 1.5

HyperD vs Hexon

I was wondering how the stretch of 1.6 HyperD compares to 1.0 Hexon. Also was curious as to how the softness of 1.6 Hexon compares to the softness of 1.6 Hyper D. Which of the 1.6s would you say is softer?

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    1.0 Hexon will stretch more than the HyperD 1.6 but not enough to make a difference in the comfort IMO. On the softness, I feel like both of the 1.6's are nice but the Hexon wins out. If you want super soft though, the Hexon 1.0 is the winner for me. I have hammocks in all three and my favorite is the Hexon 1.0.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider 1.5
    Yeah, I have a half-wit in hexon 1.0. I really love the feel and stretch of the fabric, but I'm about to order another Dream Hammock in a lightweight single layer and he doesn't do single layer hammocks in anything below 1.6 now, so I'm trying to find something comparable. Didn't know which would have the most similar stretch and softness to the 1.0, Hexon 1.6 or HyperD 1.6.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Here's a good description of the fabrics as well.
    https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...=1#post1695834

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have built hammocks from both Hexon and HyperD. I love both fabrics, but they're very different. The Hexon is rough (or rather textured?) in a nice way - like cotton. Of course the 1.0oz Hexon is softer than the 2.4oz Hexon, but the 1.6oz HyperD feels a lot softer than the 1.0oz Hexon. The HyperD has a sleek look and touch, and it's a bit shiny. To me it feels velvety.

1.6oz Hexon single layer hammock vs. 1.6oz HyperD single layer hammock:
    The 1.6oz Hexon feels stronger and more robust than the 1.6oz HyperD. Although they're both labelled as 1.6oz, the 1.6oz Hexon is more a 1.7oz fabric while the 1.6oz HyperD is slightly under 1.6oz (I weighed different hammock blanks myself). I can't really say which hammock has more stretch because they both have too much for my liking and I wasn't able to do more than take a short nap before my back told me that it doesn't like the give.

1.0oz Hexon double layer hammock vs. 1.0oz HyperD double layer hammock:
    I like both hammocks, but they feel completely different. The 1.0oz Hexon DL has a bit less stretch than a 1.9oz ripstop nylon single layer hammock but a lot more than the 1.0oz HyperD DL. The 1.0oz HyperD DL instantly became one of my favorites because it has very little stretch but doesn't feel "dead" in the way many polyester hammocks feel. A 1.0oz Robic XL DL hammock I made had clearly less stretch, though.

I didn't make any 1.0oz single layer hammocks, so I can't compare the 1.0oz Hexon to the 1.6oz HyperD - but from the way the double layer hammocks behave, my guess is that the 1.6oz HyperD has a lot less stretch than the 1.0oz Hexon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
    Which of the 1.6s would you say is softer?
    If you are talking about "cuddly" soft, I'd say the HyperD, no question. But both fabrics are very soft compared with a plain 1.9oz ripstop nylon.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider 1.5
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I have built hammocks from both Hexon and HyperD. I love both fabrics, but they're very different. The Hexon is rough (or rather textured?) in a nice way - like cotton. Of course the 1.0oz Hexon is softer than the 2.4oz Hexon, but the 1.6oz HyperD feels a lot softer than the 1.0oz Hexon. The HyperD has a sleek look and touch, and it's a bit shiny. To me it feels velvety.

1.6oz Hexon single layer hammock vs. 1.6oz HyperD single layer hammock:
    The 1.6oz Hexon feels stronger and more robust than the 1.6oz HyperD. Although they're both labelled as 1.6oz, the 1.6oz Hexon is more a 1.7oz fabric while the 1.6oz HyperD is slightly under 1.6oz (I weighed different hammock blanks myself). I can't really say which hammock has more stretch because they both have too much for my liking and I wasn't able to do more than take a short nap before my back told me that it doesn't like the give.

1.0oz Hexon double layer hammock vs. 1.0oz HyperD double layer hammock:
    I like both hammocks, but they feel completely different. The 1.0oz Hexon DL has a bit less stretch than a 1.9oz ripstop nylon single layer hammock but a lot more than the 1.0oz HyperD DL. The 1.0oz HyperD DL instantly became one of my favorites because it has very little stretch but doesn't feel "dead" in the way many polyester hammocks feel. A 1.0oz Robic XL DL hammock I made had clearly less stretch, though.

I didn't make any 1.0oz single layer hammocks, so I can't compare the 1.0oz Hexon to the 1.6oz HyperD - but from the way the double layer hammocks behave, my guess is that the 1.6oz HyperD has a lot less stretch than the 1.0oz Hexon.

If you are talking about "cuddly" soft, I'd say the HyperD, no question. But both fabrics are very soft compared with a plain 1.9oz ripstop nylon.
    Great information, thank you for all your time describing it for me. This is a big help.

• + New Posts