Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Side Sleeper - Bridge Vs. Gathered End vs. ?

Hi All,

Long time lurker, but recently joined and first time poster. I've been a ground dweller for the past 7 years and have an lightweight setup (11lb base weight). Living in Philly and not owning a car, I usually only get to do 3 or 4 four day/50 mile trips a year so I've dealt with the bad nights sleep. In the past I've always done my trips with my fiancee, but I did my first solo trip about a month ago and thru hiked the Massanutten Mountain Trail. I absolutely loved the experience and can foresee myself doing many more solo trips so I want my sleep to be as comfortable as possible. Even though I hiked 26 miles/30 miles/16 miles, i still slept terribly essentially waking up to switch from my side to stomach every 30 minutes because I just couldn't get comfortable. I've been using a Big Agnes Double Z pad which is about 3" thick. Not sure how you can get more comfortable than that, so I'm doubting it's possible. After watching just about every one of Shug's video's, he's brainwashed me with the idea that hammocks will change the way I backpack. Thanks Shug

My initial apprehensive from switching to the hammock is that I’m strictly a side/stomach sleeper. I’m not sure if it’s sleep apnea, but if I sleep on my back it's guaranteed that I'll wake myself up within an hour by snoring/snorting. I’ll continue to do every half hour or hour if I don’t switch to my side or stomach. If I sleep on my side or stomach I sleep like a baby and wake fully rested (in a normal bed, that is).

I’ve done as much research as possible, but it seems conflicting about which type of hammock is best for side sleepers. I’ve found at least 20 threads on the subject, but one person will say bridge hammocks are too narrow to side sleep and then someone else will say it works fine. I’ve seen other threads where people have said the BBWB is great for side sleeping since you can get a really flat lay, even though it’s gathered end. I do have a very basic Eno Doublenest that we bring on our trips, but it's only used to relax at camp. I’ve tried sleeping in it and I do the same snore/wake myself up routine. Obviously it’s not the most comfortable hammock out there though.

Since I’m not sure I’ll be able to sleep in a hammock in the first place I’d rather not invest $200 and find out it’s just not possible for me. After doing quite a bit of research last week I came to the conclusion that a bridge hammock would work the best so I decided I’d try DIY and make my own for about $70. Worst case, we have a new ultralight hammock to bring with us on trips. I'm questioning my decision now.

So all that being said (apologize it was so long), what's your recommendation Hammock Forums?

Many thanks for your sage advice in advance.

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Outside of getting out to a nearby group hang or borrowing a particular hammock, I think that a DIY attempt is a good idea. If you're able to though, actually trying potential varieties would be your best bet. You can even DIY an 11' gathered end hammock very inexpensively if you're so inclined.
    For me there was a massive difference in comfort and sleep quality when I moved from an ENO to more traditional 10' or 11' camping hammocks many years ago. I couldn't imagine going back to sleeping in an ENO at this point.

I'm 100% a side/stomach sleeper in a bed but love my 11' gathered end hammocks and sleep in them more comfortably on my back. I can sleep on my side in them, but I actually find it more comfortable on my back now. It took me a few times to get used to it, but I have no problems getting comfortable or waking up during the night while on my back now.

I've also gone the DIY route recently with a bridge hammock project. Although I don't have a lot of time in it, I'm enjoying it equally as my gathered end hammocks. It was based on Bic/Hikingdads design and I found at my size, 5'8", ≈150lbs, I can sleep very comfortably on my side in it, more so than my gathered end hammocks. I've slept on my back in it just fine as well.

Welcome to the forums and good luck in your search. Hopefully you'll get some good advice in responses here.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I am a 100% side sleeper in my bed but in my gathered end hammock I sleep either on my side or my back. Others say the bridge hammock is the way to go for side sleepers and they could be right. Each person's experience appears to be very different when it comes to hammock sleeping.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    WBRR
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Images
    99% side sleeper in bed and 100% back sleeper in my bridge hammock. I don't find side sleeping in my bridge hammock all that comfortable. There are also more leg positions sleeping on my back in a hammock.

Hammock
    Town's End bridge
    Tarp
    MWG Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/Thermarest
    Suspension
    straps/buckles
    Images
    50/50 stomach/side sleeper here. I can only rarely get to sleep on my back (read " totally exhausted") in any format, including hammocks. I tried side sleeping in a gathered-end (WB XLC) with minimal success. Notable improvement in a bridge, though I have to get creative in finding the side position, due to the narrowness of the bridge design. I use a wide inflatable pad on the RR and use the short version of the head spreader bar for maximum comfort. Pads in GE hammocks, however, leave much to be desired.
    Last edited by happydensity; 10-27-2016 at 07:31.

Hammock
    Clark TX-250, WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    Vertex, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just a quick note....side sleeping in that Warbonet is a bit more comfortable if you ensure that you hang your feet end of the hammock higher than your head end. In mine it makes a huge difference. If they are hung at the same height...you can still get a sideways lay but it tends to send you sliding towards the foot end of the hammock and makes any position less comfortable than keeping the head side lower. Try it....you might find its what you've been missing.

Secondly...get under quilts....hammocks are tight for space period and jamming pads or low fill mattresses to help stay warm can also be a real problem for side sleepers. I'm sure there are those who do fine but THIS side sleeper who's 6'3" and 265LBS.....eats up enough room by himself without all those accoutrements. The under quilts give you room in your hammock to adjust to many sleep positions.
    "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln.

Hammock
    Clark TX-250, WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    Vertex, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    finally....I know a guy who tried everything and eventually had to go to ground. I know its heresy in here to speak of this but for some, a tyvek ground cover, a nice thermal air mattress and a good ground bag with an air pillow.....covered by a low hung tarp is the only answer for some. He was in heaven while the rest of us hung in trees around him. One day......rain's going to get em....but until then, he's winning at life in his new arrangement.
    "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I only sleep in a bed once or twice a week and almost always on my side when I do. The rest of the week I sleep in a bridge hammock and I sleep on my back 90% of the time and my side 10% of the time. When backpacking I sleep in a gathered-end hammock. Always on my back. I've never been able to get comfortable on my side in a gathered-end hammock. If you're convinced that you can only sleep on your side I'd go with a bridge hammock.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Thanks all, truly appreciate all your input.

Based on all your feedback, and since I've already purchased all the material to make the bridge, I figure why not continue with the plan. I already knew the only way I'd truly know if I could make it work out on the trail would be to spend a night in one. Everyone is different so I really need to just try it for myself. For $70, there's not much to lose.

I had already planned on doing a hybrid between Bic's and Griz's. Bic's videos showing how to sew and essentially put the hammock together in addition to making your own whoopie slings/suspension were extremely helpful. I do like the endcaps on Griz's, and he has a helpful chart on the parabola, so I'm going with that. I'm also going to do a bit longer than Griz since I may have my arm above me side sleeping. Going to use my trekking poles at the support, so I'll need to figure that out. Hope I can get the dowels through the handles. Finally, I'm going to try to "machine" my own aluminum end sets. Dutch's look awesome, but at $28 and 1/3 of the entire price of the hammock, it's pretty steep if it doesn't work out.

Can't wait until the fiancee finds me stringing this up in the living room for the night.

Wish me luck...

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I am a dedicated side sleeper and am very comfortable in my gathered end.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast