Dutch 1.0 hexon or 1.6 wide hexon

Hey guys, I'm having a really tough time deciding on my first hammock. I'm still under the illusion that I'll just get the one
    At least since there are so many new things to buy for hammocking, I can't afford both at the same time.
    I am 6'2" and weigh around 210lbs, and I like to go light, without sacrificing too much comfort.

At the moment I sleep on the ground with just a pad and poncho tarp.

From the lightness perspective, the 1.0 seems to be the best bet, but I'm worried about the comfort without the extra width, but that is very hard to say without trying it out.
    Are there any guys roughly my size who have tried both?
    Is the extra comfort worth around double the weight?

Thanks a lot for your advice!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Maybe go to a local group hammock hang and you will most likely see and possibly be able to try out different hammocks. I've got a 12 x 6 HexonWide 1.6 single layer hammock and it's really comfortable. You said you like to go light--so a 12x6 is probably not your best choice. Maybe try 11xfiveand half or 11x5
    Good luck Ghashul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghashul View Post
    Hey guys, I'm having a really tough time deciding on my first hammock. I'm still under the illusion that I'll just get the one
    At least since there are so many new things to buy for hammocking, I can't afford both at the same time.
    I am 6'2" and weigh around 210lbs, and I like to go light, without sacrificing too much comfort.

At the moment I sleep on the ground with just a pad and poncho tarp.

From the lightness perspective, the 1.0 seems to be the best bet, but I'm worried about the comfort without the extra width, but that is very hard to say without trying it out.
    Are there any guys roughly my size who have tried both?
    Is the extra comfort worth around double the weight?

Thanks a lot for your advice!

I'm 6'2" 225 and I have both Hexon 1.0 and Hexon 1.6 wide, as well as standard width Hexon 1.6. I wouldn't necessarily say the wide 1.6 is "extra comfort" per se. It allows some variance in positioning over the standard width but once you get the sweet spot dialed in the comfort is basically the same. Now where the real difference comes is the material itself...1.0 vs 1.6. The 1.0 is slightly "stretchy" and doesn't offer as much support as the something like a 1.6 or even a PolyD 1.4. Don't get me wrong, Hexon 1.0 is a very strong fabric, it just has a slight give to it that may be troublesome for those with back issues. Personally I enjoy more the comfort of a 1.4 or 1.6 fabric in standard width most of the time. I just don't roll out my wide Hexon much at all as I can get perfectly comfortable in a standard width and I do like to save ounces in my pack when I can.

1.0 Robic XL from ripstopbytheroll.com is also worthy of mention as it's a lightweight 1.0 fabric yet wide as well...I think it's 68" wide vs" 70" for the wide hexon.

Enjoy your search for your perfect hammock fabric. I believe I'm up to at least 9 different types of hammock fabrics owned now...

I'd love to go to a group hang, but I doubt there are any near me. I'm staying in the very south of Spain until January, when I'm going back to Denmark. 12x6 sounds great, but you're probably right it's too heavy for me. Also would require a big tarp.

I don't have back issues as such, but I do prefer beds firm, and I guess that translates to low stretch in a hammock?

Does the robic xl stretch the same as hexon 1.0?

I was looking at dutchware both because hexon get great reviews, and because their prices are very nice for a beginning hammocker ☺️

My thoughts are getting it with knotty mods and structural ridgeline.

Thanks for the input so far, really helps discover things to consider that I hadn't thought of myself!

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Approximately yes...maybe slightly less but the difference may be purely psychological

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    If you find you prefer firmer beds/mattresses, I would suggest looking into the Hexon1.6. It is appreciably more firm and supportive than the Hexon 1.0. As others mentioned, the width is a bit of a different animal. In my limited experience (I just have one wide hammock that I have been using for ~3 months) the extra width makes the sweetspot for sleeping larger, but not noticeably more comfortable. This is highly subjective.

Personally, I am 5'11" ~195lbs and I love my Hexon1.0 10ft hammock. It is a great balance of lightweight and comfort/strength. Though, if I was less picky about weight, I would probably use Hexon1.6 for that little bump in comfort.

Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I think fabric is related to your weight and personal preference on firmness.
    I'm 185 lbs and like a softer bed...probably explains why I've
    had problems with the 1.6 hexon fabric. Now I'm thinking of trying the 1.0 LOL
    And in the RR I prefer an air mat lightly inflated...probably due to my preference for softness.
    Well folks...the learning process is half the fun.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    I enjoy working for my heat...it seems to make my food taste better. -Richard Proenneke

2TiedUp YouTube Channel

Hammock
    Dutchware 1.0 hexon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I have both, I always end up using the 1.0 I sleep better and it seems more comfortable to me. I'm 5'10 and 215 pounds. I thought I would like the wide but I haven't used it since I got the 1.0
    Last edited by JHarbin; 10-26-2016 at 21:01.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    No. The Robic has considerably less stretch. I made a double layer hammock from the 1.0oz Robic XL and the 1.0oz Hexon. The Hexon DL is nice and firm, but still has a little bit of give as you would expect from a nylon ripstop. The Robic DL feels like a lightweight polyester hammock because it has so little stretch. It's not yet uncomfortable to me - I didn't like the single layer hammock made from RbtR's 1.6oz polyester ripstop at all, because it almost feels like I'm lying on the floor - but I prefer the Hexon DL. With a single layer, the differences won't be as marked, though.

One more thing: if you want a Robic hammock, you'll either have to sew one yourself, or order with a hammock maker. RbtR doesn't sell hammocks made from their fabrics in contrast to Dutch.

With regards to the original question, you won't know what you like before you tried it. You could buy both, try them, and sell the one you like less. Since you're saving a little bit on shipping, you should be able to sell with little to no loss. It seems to me that hammocks are getting very popular in Skandinavia...

If you want to stick with ordering one, you can just as well throw a coin. I would go with the 1.6oz Hexon, since it is more robust - and of course the extra width is nice.

Thank you all so much for your input! I just put in my order for the hexon 1.6 wide.
    I'm sure I will love it, and can easily supplement with a lighter one at a later time!

Can't wait to get it!

• + New Posts