Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I'm guessing the cat cut on the ridge line is part marketing (lighter specs) and part to give a nice taut looking line. There are numerous threads about ridge lines over vs under the tarp. For me, it's over most the time with a consideration of under during winter if I expect a snow load. In those cases I make sure I don't use a tarp with a cat cut ridge line. I haven't experienced the need for a much greater tarp height but I don't pay much attention to it either.I just need it above the hammock, angled so it doesn't pool water, and covering the hammock on both ends.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    For me, it's over most the time with a consideration of under during winter if I expect a snow load. In those cases I make sure I don't use a tarp with a cat cut ridge line.
    I don't see that as precluding a ridgeline under. After all, a rope suspended from two fixed points automatically forms a catenary curve. You just need to match the catenary of your ridgeline cord to that of the tarp (usually by slacking it a bit).

I am seriously considering my next tarp having a catenary ridge, not especially for tautness, but so that I can easily pitch it right down onto my hammock SRL in foul weather. I can do this with my short 11' tarp, because it doesn't project very far beyond my hammock ends. But with my 13' tarp, it fouls my 30° suspension lines, so I struggle to get it as low as the short one. Hence the short one gives me better side cover than the long one.

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The "Ridge line under" concern is because of possible wear against the seam sealer - especially in windy, stormy conditions. The under cord will form some catenary shape. But I doubt it will sag as much as the tarp itself. And the under cord can provide a path for water to get under the tarp. But there are threads and threads about over vs under. In fact, I'm going to post one in the weather sub-forum as we are quickly approaching snow time.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    The under cord will form some catenary shape.
    A cord can form any (true) catenary curve, dependant on length of cord vs length of span. As long as your tarp uses a true cat curve, then you could match it (by loosening the cord).
    But I doubt it will sag as much as the tarp itself.
    By this I assume you mean you are concerned about differential stretch, tarp vs cord. But that would be the same for a straight ridgeline as for a curved one.
    The other points about water tracking and wear are also the same for a cat and a straight.
    I use end tie-outs, snow is a very remote possibility here in the mild mild west!

--
    Gadget

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12