Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    undecided
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Need some help choosing a UQ

I am looking to purchase a new UQ to replace my ENO (not quite 40 degree) UQ for colder weather. I pretty much have it narrowed down to two options. The Warbonnet Wooki (https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/pr...i-underquilts/) and the Enlightened Equipment Revolt (http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revolt/). Both seem to have significant pros, and a few minor cons.

For reference, I have the Warbonnet BB, and tend to camp in warmer temps but have been experimenting with tying to go colder. Have not done so much due to lack of really good insulation. I also do a mix of plop and drop and backpacking, so weight is a consideration. Any thoughts or opinions for those who have field tested either/both would be appreciated.

Hammock
    DIY 12ft Hyper D 1.6
    Tarp
    HG The Quest
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit and Zep
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Images
    I'm a big fan of my revolt. Some need to add some extra shock cord for longer hammocks, I thought I did until I really hung in it and figured out they actually gave me just enough shock cord for a good snug fit. If that's an issue I think they can help you with that if you tell them what length your hammock is. I got a 39 degree steel outside and navy blue inside and I think it looks awesome and it pack so tiny!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If you only want an underquilt for your WBBB, the Wooki is an excellent choice. Since it does not have shock cords, it doesn't put pressure on your head or feet - something that every other underquilt I have used so far has done. The biggest disadvantage is, that it only fits the WBBB or a hammock of exactly the same length. It can be modded to fit other lengths, but that can be fiddly. I have done it with good success, though.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    undecided
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks. Good advice. I have to admit I am thoroughly intrigued by the Wooki. I love the idea that it perfectly fits the BB and has no fuss setup which makes things easy. My concern is how it will fair in less cold temps. With no way to adjust it, will it turn my hammock into an inferno if it is in the 40s or 50s at night?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I can't really answer that question because I'm a super cold sleeper. I used the 20° Wooki in September when temperatures at night were probably around 68°F and I found it perfect. I doubt that it would make me sweat below 85°F. But then I started shivering when temps dropped to 60°F - so I'm special

However, I don't think that too much warmth will be a huge problem with the Wooki - unless you sleep really hot. Due to the design, it does not cradle you but only touches you from underneath. It's closer to lying on a mattress than using an underquilt with shock cords. If you really start to get hot, there have been quite a few suggestions on how to vent the Wooki that sound good.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I would highly recommend the Wookie. It's an amazing quilt that is as simple to use as any quilt I've ever tried. I like my HG 20° quilt but do not enjoy have to fiddle with all the bungee adjustments to keep the quilt in place. The Wookie is as simple as a snap and a click and your done.

• + New Posts