Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by T- Minus View Post
    Everyone want's a turkey for Thanksgiving but nobody wants to ring its neck. As sad as it seems people have become more detached from the sources of goods with modernized equipment and procedures to feed, clothe, and support the civilized functions of the human race on a mass scale. And when the see what is actually done to make the things we use on a daily basis we all the sudden grow a conscience. At that point it is a little to late. I don't blame the harvesters, nor the buyers, but I do blame the detachment and depth of sacrifice of those that misuse natures bounty and those that take advantage of others to do so, weather it be animal, plant or mineral; and raising the alarm bell on one while doing the same on another is outright hypocritical. It boils down to having respect of what you have, how you live, and what you put into the world just as much as what you take from it, and I hope that boils down to goodness and kind deeds at the end of the day.
    I wonder if turkey down is any good? As much turkey as gets eaten here . . .

Quote Originally Posted by bamudd View Post
    I think hummingbird down is probably pretty light...

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Here are a couple links to help you draw your own conclusions and make more informed decisions:

The PETA article -- with some photos, but not a video, so you can more easily scrutinize the statements they make: Exposed: Despite 'Responsible Down Standards,' Farms Still Live-Plucking Geese

It's worth noting that PETA's overall stand is that Animals are not ours to eat, wear, experiment on, use for entertainment, or abuse in any other way. So to that organization, there is no responsible way to harvest down at all.

A response article from the Responsible Down Standard: New Down Standard Faces First Fight With PETA
    (not all that well written, but does the job, and gives a starting point to look further)

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by bamudd View Post
    I know turkey feathers are used in pillows and %of fill in some jackets. On a side note most foul release feather like some animals molt generally once a year but some species up to 3x, Geese feathers are more like quills like a porcupine that are embedded into deeper layers of the skin vs on the surface. So naturally visually it is more graphic and also why other foul were not shown. FYI geese that don't molt migrate and normally those that do normally do so by late July.
    Last edited by T- Minus; 10-27-2016 at 15:54.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by T- Minus View Post
    I know turkey feathers are used in pillows and %of fill in some jackets. On a side note most foul release feather like some animals molt generally once a year but some species up to 3x, Geese feathers are more like quills like a porcupine that are embedded into deeper layers of the skin vs on the surface. So naturally visually it is more graphic and also why other foul were not shown. FYI geese that don't molt migrate and normally those that do normally do so by late July.
    I didn't know that about geese feathers. I haven't actually watched the video, but I've plucked various birds that I've shot before and while I still wouldn't do it live because there's no way it would be pleasant, it's never been gory or gross. Never hunted goose though . . .

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    With so much evil going on in the world, you can only worry about so much.

To be honest, a goose is near the bottom of my list.

I am more horrified by the millions of people killed in the Middle East and North Africa by Americans over the past 15 years than any plucked goose.

Carll

I'd say this thread has run it's course...

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234