Tarp
    HG WP
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Webbing / Buckles

Warbonnet Blackbird Bug Net Management

Hello Everyone,

I've been using my WBBB for a couple years now and have always been curious about managing the integrated bug net without staking it out. For clarification, I am solely talking about the entrance side of the hammock, not the shelf pullout. I currently have the Hammock Gear Winter palace and I want to minimize the amount of abrasion the tarp experiences, one of which location is where the bug net is pulled out and staked. I have staked the bug net out closer to the hammock but I don't like the constriction the bug net has when in that setup. I have also set the tarp up higher which may be the long term solution but in the event of torrential downpoor, when abrasion would be at its highest likelyhood, I would like to have the tarp a little lower to maximize coverage from side blowing winds. I have considered creating some attachment point on the inside of my tarp so that the bug net could be pulled out from there and then I could circumvent the abrasion problem while also having to bring one less stake with me.

Has anyone had any experience configuring the WBBB bug net in a non-conventional way? The pullout always seems to get in the way and is generally a nuisance but nonetheless is crucial to the overall functionality of the bug net.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Have you tried not staking it at all? This is how I use this hammock and it works just fine.
    Last edited by TrailSlug; 10-24-2016 at 19:38.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    HG WP
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Webbing / Buckles
    Yes I have, the bug net ends up falling on the left side of my face. If I removed the shock cord maybe some of the extra weight off would release some of the vertical force and allow it to flatten out horizontally.

Images
    If you have to set the Hammock Gear Winter palace up in storm mode (low and tight) do to high winds and rain you don't need the bugnet so unzip and tie it back.
    In high winds there is a good chance your tarp wall will be up against you. You don't want anything abrasive.

I've owned a 10' wbbb and 11' XLC and never needed the net pullout on the side you enter/exit.
    I have always been able to position myself in the hammock to keep the net off my face without the tyout. YMMV

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    I haven't staked my bug net out in recent memory, it's usually tied back out of the way. And as far as pull outs on the tarp, haven't used them in recent memory either. I guess I never sensed that there was a problem with abrasion. I too have a 10' BB and an 11' XLC.

David

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    The bugnet hits me in the face if I don't stake it.

I have installed a quick disconnect to manage the tie out during low use times or when exiting the hammock.

Normally I'll stake it out to the same location as the middle guy out on the tarp. Which is fine as long as the tarp is high enough.

Another option, I've installed split rings on the grosgrain loops of the tarp guy out points. I'll run the net tie out thru the center guy out point and then to the stake. Clipping it directly to the tarp doesn't usually work.

I use an UQP so rarely do i stake the tarp that low.

If I do stake the tarp out in bunker mode, I'll leave the netting off or pulled back because as was mentioned, if it's that stormy, likely bugs won't be flying.

I've toyed with the idea of installing a spreader pole but I don't want it that close to my face should something fail for whatever reason.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I like the stake out for the shelf on my WBBB1.7DL. I really do NOT like the pull out for the bug net on the entry side because it always seems to be in my way zippering,unzippering,getting in and out etc.So when I camped out last week I just let if flop on my face which was slightly less annoying than fooling with it.

Next time I use it,it will be staked and all my movement coming and going will be oriented toward the foot end of the hammock to prevent getting all tripped up in that low staked pull out.I must say that the DL layer for a piece of pad is a great addition,even with an underquilt.Tried the full length pad in it-no joy.Feathers for this old guy........

Hammock
    WBBBXLC
    Tarp
    DIY 4 season Cat
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Web Buckles
    I too, have the same dilemma when camping with my XLC. My next option is building a new tarp. I built a 4 season tarp from RSBTR. Works beautifully and looks just like the superfly. Main issue is I would like the tarp to have more height and still be close to the ground when tied off. I am expanding the tarp by 50% on each side which should allow me to stand near vertical next to my hammock (I'm 6'2''). I am currently using the pole modification to hold the tarp body open giving me lots of room inside. Next step is to add tie out clips to the inside of the hammock where the pole guides are. This will allow the hammock netting to be pulled away and still stay up out of the way of entry and exiting. I have tried it with the tarp I have now and it does work just needs to be a little higher on the tarp.
    A Scout IS!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    With my Edge, I alway's run the tie out to the same stake as the corner of the edge and never had an issue with the net. Was planning to do the same with a New Winter Palace when I finally get it. Could you possibly Button Hook the Net Pull out to the Corner D-Ring? Is there an inner loop on the inside of the Exterior Pull Outs of the Tarp that you could tie too? Although I would trust Ratdog's statement that it doesn't usually work. I use the net all the time when sleeping in all seasons - just the why I choose, However, If I get the Ridgline taunt enough then usually the net doesn't take much "pull" to get it off the face. Good Thread!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I have tried not staking it out and it annoys the life out of me. if I don't have it tied back I will typically toggle it to the corner tarp tie out. that's one less stake needed and it's easy to disconnect in the morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast