HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Question Waiting on new TQ, current TQ not enough....

With temps tonight to be around 38°, tomorrow night around 33° and weds night 36° plus wind chill each night, I'm finally going to get to hang in some truly cold temps. I'm set with my JRB winter nest UQ, a diy military poncho UQP I made today and my HH exped with typhoon fly pitched nice and tight with doors on. My only concern is my TQ. I woke up cold on top around 4am Sunday morning with the temp around 40° and breezy. Its rating is supposedly around 32°, but there's no way I can go any colder without supplementing it. I was wearing synthetic base layer bottoms, top and boxers ,heavy wool sox, fleece beanie and thin fleece gloves and was using my Snugpak TQ. After i woke up freezing on top, i put on a light down vest, pulled my TQ up to my chin and then spread my Snugpak insulated poncho liner over the top of the TQ to add another thin layer of insulation. That did the trick and I warmed right up and fell back to sleep. I was comfortable going to sleep: the UQ was right up against my back and butt and I could feel it warm up instantly when I got in and situated. It was pretty windy, so no condensation issues. A few times I felt a big gust go right through my UQ and take my stored up heat with it lol. I plan on using the diy poncho UQP when its windy now to combat the wind robbing heat loss.

So, untill my new 0° down TQ arrives, what should I do to supplement the thin, synthetic, Snugpak TQ? Do I wear my down vest or add a fleece blanket or the poncho liner on top when I get in at night? Add layers of clothing over my base layer? I was using the tie outs on the hammock with the loops on the UQ and that kinda kept the UQ from going up high enough to block wind and keep my feet and shoulder warm. Tonight I'm going to not use the tie outs and see if it helps. I live on a hill on the water and its always windy when the temps drop so I even tried changing which trees Im using to get better protection from my tarp tonight. I have everything dialed in, just need a better TQ now that I've maxed out the Snugpak TQ. I could use a netless hammock and try the Snugpak coccon out finally I guess, but I really like the winter nest under me now that I have a down UQ finally lol.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    On a few occasions I've just laid the down jacket on top of me inside the quilt. Instant 2+ inches of loft right there! Pretty hard to get cold then, but it's only covering that part of your body, so you may still get cold.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    layering of insulation is as old an idea as putting a jacket on over a sweater when you get cold.

where I'm from in the South, a good sleeping "system" utilizes a 20* 3-season bag/quilt and a 40* summer quilt. these can be used separately in their own seasons, or layered to reach down to zero. this is cheaper than a specific single bag for each of the seasons.

in the colder North, the temps can be shifted to cover the lowest one might reasonably expect and can still be supplemented by wearing insulation such as base layers, hat, fleece, puffy, etc...

typically, if one of the bags is made with down and the other synthetic, the down would be used as the inner layer. if both are the same insulation, the lighter weight/temp would be used as the outer layer.

in my system, I use a bag at 20* rather than a quilt, to manage drafts better. it is made of down and my TQ is a 40* synthetic. it's a good system...

• + New Posts