Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO DoubleNester
    Tarp
    need help deciding
    Suspension
    Atlas straps

Angry Threatening to call the police

Well i just had a very interesting encounter. I was at my college just chiilin in my hammock. i was set up beside our beautiful pond about 2-3feet off the ground, studying; when i felt a tap on my shoulder. i turn around and it is a security officer who informed me that i need to take down my hammock immediately. Confused i asked why and she just said, well because its policy. i then asked well, what policy might that be, because i really want to know if i carry a hammock with me where ever i go.

again, she just stated that.... well, its policy. feeling a little defensive i posted the question, I ride a motorcycle through here 5 times a week and almost get hit 3 out of those times, and your saying you dont have a policy against potentially the most self endangering form of transportation, but you have a no hammock policy at a pond 300ft away from the nearest building on a nature trail? again... its policy.

Frustrated and completely angry, i reluctantly agreed to get up. At that time over her radio i heard, Tell the student that if he dosent take down i will be forced to call orange county police and we will let them have it. So i proceeded to pack up and head off to type this post.

Now my question to the users of this forum is: is there any way i could form a competent argument against this or am i between a rock and a hard place? I would like to continue using my hammock but if i cant, well i cant. Has this ever happened to you or something similar? and if so is there a way i can solve this with out it turning into a "yah huuh, well na uuh" argument?

Hammock
    Big Man Bridge by V_Allen
    Tarp
    DIY by Boston
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Let me guess UCF rent-a-cop

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    1. Here's an article about a school who banned hammocks. It might give you some insight on why schools do this: http://www.wsj.com/articles/want-to-...cks-1443052981

2. As a former college administrator, I believe the most effective way to change policy is to go through your student government association. If you are able to show evidence to negate the reasons for anti-hammock policy, then the school will be more likely to change the rules. If you are really wanting change, reach out to The Michigan State University Hammocking Club (the one mentioned in the above article). They might have some other good advice for you.

3. Good luck and keep us posted.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

Hammock
    11' Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Glk3, DIY TQs
    Suspension
    Mltibkles, Dutch
    Images
    People in power tend to abuse it. this situation could literally reflect anything at all and there isn't a way out of it except to comply. Could it be the security person? Maybe. Her boss? Maybe? Someone having a bad day and just not liking you? Maybe. Anyway you cut it it comes down to someone wanting to make themselves feel better.

I've run into things like this before, not hammock related, and almost always with administrators, nurses, teachers, guys with t-shirts that say "staff". Just shake your head sadly at them, give a crooked grin, and try your best to move on with your day. Is it dumb? Yeah, but no sense is railing against it wasting your energy.

Hammock
    WBBB dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly/Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Strap or Whoopies
    I would recommend going to the administration and verify if it exists. If it does, ask them politely to see it. You can then present a case that it's not wrong and should be changed. If you approach it politely, you might get farther. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    Yes....you need to contact the security department, ask for the chief of security, explain the scenario, and request a policy title and number. If it's available online, research it and see what it actually says. My suspicion is that it is NOT available online....in that case, ask the security chief where you can go to get a hardcopy of the policy. Be prepared to pay for that harcopy.....it's likely they will charge for it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    You may as well give up. There are simply too many people on campus that do not know what they are doing so the easy solution- ban it for all. This is the American way.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    I would do as others have suggested, but with the expectation that nothing will change. It would be interested to see the policy. Time for a Lamzack

I'm assuming there aren't any policies regarding the grass. I say that jokingly, but....
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE94 View Post
    I'm assuming there aren't any policies regarding the grass. I say that jokingly, but....
    Come on now. That would cause all kinds of issues if we allow college kids to abuse the grass. Side walks only please ....

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    You may as well give up. There are simply too many people on campus that do not know what they are doing so the easy solution- ban it for all. This is the American way.
    I disagree. I don't think giving up is the American way. I say FIGHT!
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast