Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images

WV>Watoga SP>10/21-23/2016 >WaHHA: Hang Reports

As always had a great time in Watoga! I rode down with WVWanderer on Friday. We started out later because of the reports of rain. Our timing was perfect. It rained the whole way down but stopped just before 5 p.m. when we arrived. We had time to setup, eat, and socialize.

Low temps were 42 Fri night and 41 on Saturday. Pretty much everyone said they were plenty warm enough because we had prepared for lower temps.

Leisurely breakfast around the fire on Saturday and later that morning Country Roads and I did a 90 min walk up and back on the Greenbrier Trail. Blustery day but only a sprinkle of rain here and there.

Got back to camp for lunch at our group spot. Others who were out hiking or fishing started coming back. We then got a hammock tour of Davy Ray's DIY bridge setup. Then it was time to drive over to the pavilion and start an early potluck dinner. When WVWanderer and I got there there was already a roaring fire in the fire place that felt great. Once again, plenty of good food and Ferret surprised us all with a Dutch oven apple crisp dessert that warmed the belly and tasted fantastic.

For a small group we had an amazing raffle. Country Roads donated a DIY hammock and suspension, an underquilt and a tarp, plus some other prizes. There were Dutchware certificates, a 2QZQ tree table, a new daypack from REI and quite a number of another prizes. The grand prize was a wonderful DIY bridge hammock with insulation by WV.

That took us into dark-thirty and the group headed back to the Riverside campground and gathered around the fire and enjoyed Ed's wonderful playing on the guitar. I called it an early night.

Next morning was warm and sunny! We had a leisurely shared breakfast and a tour of WV's bridge hammocks. Ron and I pulled out around noon and enjoyed lunch with Pat and DeWayne in Marlington at the Greenbrier Grill and Lodge. Nice place along the Greenbrier River with outside deck and excellent food.

It was hard to say goodbye to the weekend, but it was time to get on the road. We got back to Morgantown at 5 pm. Enough time to throw clothes in washing machine and put away gear.

Thanks so much WV for hosting us. I had a great time and it was wonderful to get back to Watoga and see everyone.

Nothing better than a potluck with a fire when it's cold!

Greenbrier River

Davy Ray's DIY Bridge

Dave (WV), Barb, and Donna (ZQ) at potluck.

Jimmy (Ferret) making his now famous dutch oven apple crisp. Ummmmmm, yuuuuuuummmmmm.

WV's raffle prize bridge

Jim and Pat (Country Roads) at Sunday breakfast.

Davy Ray and Ron (WVWanderer)

Barb, WV and Leo's back.

Tim (2Q) and Jimmy (Ferret)

Watoga
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 10-24-2016 at 14:06.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    DIY
    Images

Smile WaHHA is dead; long live WaHHA!

What a nice bunch of people! Thanks to all who came. I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures, especially ferret's.

There probably won't be a WaHHA at Riverside Campground again, but there's a good chance we'll have a Wilderness WaHHA at Watoga's Laurel Run Primitive Campground next June. Primitive = outhouse instead of heated bath house. It's accessible by road or by trail. There are other beautiful groves in the park that would suitable for many hammocks, and the park superintendent suggested there might eventually be a "leave no trace hammock hang site," opening up the possibility of backpacking within the park - something I've always wanted, but seemed out of reach. There are, after all, 44 miles of trails in its 10,000 acres.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I had such a great time at the hang! (except for locking my keys in my car Sunday morning...but that got taken care of pretty quickly...) Thank you so much to WV for organizing everything! Thanks to everyone who came out and shared food and stories. WAHHA is always a wonderful experience! Here is a short 4 minute video of the hang. Enjoy!

Peace,

EdLee
    To understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    Email: [email protected]
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/EdwardVLeeII

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    Looks like a great time. Thanks for sharing Ed. Wish i could have attended, but i had to work all weekend. Next time.........
    When the wife asks, I simply say "Shug made me do it".

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Such a nice place! Thank you WV for all your behind the scenes work to make this hang happen. EdLee: so glad you made it home okay & thanks for the great slide show!

Hammock
    CCH Robic 11ft, XLC
    Tarp
    CCH 11ft Tarp/door
    Insulation
    CCH 20* TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    dutch hooks clips
    Images
    It looks like a great time was had by all! I wish I could have made it but work and some issues with my wife's health kept me from going. Ed as always great photos. Was that you playing the music on the slide show? Thank you WV for setting everything up, maybe one day I will make it.
    Life is short, and sometimes very hard, but, NEVER GIVE UP!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Come back again for ferret's bear video! Meanwhile, think about a wilderness WaHHA at Watoga's Laurel Run Primitive Campground in June. Could be either drive in or hike in.

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images
    That is a great video Ed. I think overall we had a good time as well. Sorry we had to head out early.
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

Little clip of the bear we came across on our hike. Thanks, WV!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Great bear video! Thanks for posting!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb