Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles

Cottage Vendors- How Long is Too Long

I have been thinking about this for the last week or so. Looking at the lead time on several popular products around here, it appears that that the lead time is somewhere in the 2-8 week timeframe. Understanding that some of the extended lead times are on some of the more popular items (Dream Hammocks, most things from Warbonnet etc...). My question is that if the demand is there, then why don't these vendors grow their business instead of making their customers wait? I don't want this thread to turn into a "order what you need sooner" or "this is not Amazon" thread. But it is more of a physiological discussion on business, and the rules of supply and demand. Traditionally if you are struggling with demand, someone else will step up to fill that demand. I understand that there are a ton of unique factors in the Hammock industry, but for the most part running a business is still running a business..... why not invest and grow?

Images
    How do you stock up if you offer so many options (fabrics, colors, thinkness, single/ multi layers, duck or goose down, over stuffing, different length, different width) and to top that all off there may only be one person doing the sewing.
    Think about it. 8 weeks by the artist or 4 weeks by a trainee.

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    A lot has to do with the size of the businesses.

They are generally very, very small companies, maybe only 1 or 2 people sometimes, at most a handful of people. They run on pretty small profit margins.

So if a small company has a 6 week lead time, they would have to significantly increase their workforce, maybe even double their workforce to cut that lead time down. There just isn't any profit there.

A few small companies have very short lead times, Jacks R Better being one. They accomplish this by only offering a few models, each in a single color, with very few options. That way they can have all of their products in stock. Also, if you order stuff from Durchware, like a HG quilt, he has them pre-made ready to ship.

They are custom made products, they take time even with a very efficient work force.

Every day is a good day.

Hammock
    DIY Hyper 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and pad
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    How do you stock up if you offer so many options (fabrics, colors, thinkness, single/ multi layers, duck or goose down, over stuffing, different length, different width) and to top that all off there may only be one person doing the sewing.
    Think about it. 8 weeks by the artist or 4 weeks by a trainee.
    In terms of the trainee part, maybe offer different levels, like what is made by the trainee cost less than the artist. This would allow the trainee to gain experience, and also give an option the the more budget minded person while still getting customization.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    When I ordered my 2007 Mini Cooper S to have all the options I wanted it took a little over 2 months for it to be built and shipped to the US. That is a plant with a lot more workers than these cottage vendors could ever employ. So waiting 2-8 weeks on a custom made hammock, tarp or quilts is pretty fast if you ask me.

I think these services like Amazon prime as spoiled us where we hate to have to wait. I'm guilty of it because when I order something from amazon I hate waiting 2 days.

The wait on the cottage vendor stuff is well worth it though.
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Txscout View Post
    In terms of the trainee part, maybe offer different levels, like what is made by the trainee cost less than the artist. This would allow the trainee to gain experience, and also give an option the the more budget minded person while still getting customization.

But then a company is saying "I'll sell you a product that doesn't quite meet our standards at a discount".

That's fine for a blemished product, or a sale on a returned item, but it diminishes the reputation of the business. Every cottage vendors I've dealt with has excellent quality control standards, and they wouldn't let a subpar product leave their doors. Their name is on the product, and they have to stand by it. They couldn't do that offering a "trainee made discount" product.

Every day is a good day.

Hammock
    DIY Hyper 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and pad
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedogomer View Post
    But then a company is saying "I'll sell you a product that doesn't quite meet our standards at a discount".

That's fine for a blemished product, or a sale on a returned item, but it diminishes the reputation of the business. Every cottage vendors I've dealt with has excellent quality control standards, and they wouldn't let a subpar product leave their doors. Their name is on the product, and they have to stand by it. They couldn't do that offering a "trainee made discount" product.
    Or maybe they could set up two brands, like what Lincoln and Miller have done with their equipment, creating longevity and Hobart as entry level options. That way it is not affecting their brand directly, but they can still be training new artists. Maybe also have these only offer standard options, such as the most popular and cost effective choices. Quality wouldn't necessarily have to be comprimised.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    "Why not invest and grow?"

Valid question. I will not answer for a vendor, but here's a little bit:

1) In any business, one of the biggest challenges is KEEPING good people. Hiring them is hard enough, but keeping them...WOW. If vendors ramp up production due to the experts they have on staff, and those experts move on (to start their own company, to take a higher $$$ opportunity, etc), the vendor then has to "punt" by telling its customers that "wait times are going up due to 'temporary staffing issues' ". The smaller the company, the harder the hit from losing a key player(s). And HR issues are a pain.

2) Many small vendors don't want to grow beyond a certain point. Reasons vary. Perhaps they like things as they are. It's their business, after all.

3) Too much inventory on hand hurts profits. So why not do better at inventory management? Can be tough while you run a business, your original job if their is one, and a family.

4) They have to deal with supplier issues just like you (the customer) do. If they make a promise and their supplier doesn't come through ... then promised deadlines aren't met and they get flamed on a forum

5) All this doesn't matter if they sell to a big corporation (good for the vendor), and we complain that "Company ________ doesn't do things like good ole __________ used to when he/she ran things"

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    IMHO hammock camping is (supposed to be) a leisure activity. I mean, while we all count the days until our new custom-built underquilt arrives in the mail, who's really in a hurry for hammock camping gear that, with proper care, will serve someone for many years to come? With respect to the OP and an acceptance of the aforementioned points, I think the following is a perfectly acceptable philosophy for most cottage vendors to adopt...

That said, most of the vendors on this forum, if you contact them and explain politely that you have a specific deadline, will actually do their best to expedite your order, mostly out of the kindness of their hearts. I think that's great...

Also, if you want to look at the cold economic fundamentals of this niche market, each cottage vendor develops specific products with very individual feature sets and design elements, sometimes years in development. These small vendors put a lot of themselves into their products. Long lead times typically apply only to hand-built customized items made with unique combinations of materials. So while all 11-foot netless hammocks may seem the same to the uninitiated, if you want a Dutch, you want a Dutch. And if you want a Dream Hammock, you want a Dream Hammock. You're buying from a custom-crafted piece of gear from a specific vendor because that vendor offers aspects of that particular piece of gear that sets it apart from anything that is roughly comparable; you can't necessarily just decide to go get exactly the same thing from somewhere else because the lead time is a week too long -- you'll have to settle for something different. That works for some folks, and not for others...
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 10-23-2016 at 18:52.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains

Cottage Vendors- How Long is Too Long

Some good points here. I'll just add a couple thoughts.

You can buy Hostess cupcakes or handmade from a bakery. Does every small family bakery want to become Sara Lee or Hostess? I sure hope not because handmade custom cupcakes are a special treat. Just think, if they all sold out....all we'd have are those dark brown cupcakes with the white curly cue on them. That's not to say they are bad, but.....

There's a place for mass produced and a place for custom. Cottage vendors would not exist if no one was buying. If they sold out and became mass produced, new cottage vendors would spring up to innovate and fill the custom market demand. It is very difficult to be both a higher volume and custom....I work in manufacturing, believe me, been there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast