Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images

Man mother nature and neighbors are hard to sleep through sometimes :)

I slept out Friday night in my Warbonnet Ridgerunner and made it fine. Ear plugins did the trick and there was enough breeze to help quieten down all the racket. Tried again last night in my Warbonnet Blackbird XLC and I bailed at 4 am. The dag gone neighbor left his flood lights on and I could never really fall asleep. Combine that with the loudest I've ever heard nature and I needed to get some sleep. The acorns falling on the hammock all night, combined with the loudest cars/motorcycles that seem to come out after midnight made this all but impossible to sleep. It seems like I can hear loud cars from the main road that's about 4 miles away late at night. The straw that broke the camels back was the blood curdling animal scream followed by a growl and I bailed. I heard all of this even with my ear plugs in. I may have to start taking a sleeping pill to sleep out at night.
    Am I the only one that finds the night time loud?

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    They don't bother me, until I hear something snuffling against my tent or tarp. But if the dogs aren't bothered then neither am I.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    They don't bother me, until I hear something snuffling against my tent or tarp. But if the dogs aren't bothered then neither am I.
    Yea, having a dog for watch duty seems to be the way to go.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Funny thing is, the noisiest place to hang seems to be the backyard. We have more critters running around in one acre of woods than I ever hear in the "real woods." That and, like you mentioned, cars, motorcycles, neighbors.

My solution, white noise app on my phone. Find a sound you like, turn it up and keep close by. Helps to cancel out other sounds. Use mine all the time.

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    The flood light sucks, but a simple call should remedy that if not a bb gun works great. Barking dog that has to bark at everything and relentless, I have found that pepper spay works great , not saying spray the dog but you can mark your turf and it annoys them enough to go on to something else. As far as the Motorcycles, your on your own the good news is they go as fast as they come.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Living in suburbia, it's rarely ever quiet around here. Usually, it's police/ambulance sirens that are the biggest noise factors while I'm trying to sleep late at night. For the most part, I sleep through those noises without a problem as I'm well accustomed to it. However, there is one thing that wakes me up during the early hours of the morning on an almost constant basis.
    I have a neighbor across the street who likes to hang out on her front porch every morning and talk/yell really loud. I don't know if she's talking on the phone or to someone who's out there with her, but she is definitely a very vocal woman. Half the time, she's yelling at her dog "shut the ____ up!" when it starts barking about who knows what. It's always something around here. And people wonder why I try to go camping often as possible and in areas where most people don't go to. Home life though... Gotta love it.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Images
    TS why don't you just drive up to Monte Sano State Park and hang your hammock for the night in the camp ground or jump on one of the trails for a short hike to a remote location and hang?
    When I lived in Huntsville (1968-80), Green Mtn & Huntsville mtn were not developed yet there was just a dirt road that ran along the top. Many very nice overlooks into the valleys from either side.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    TS why don't you just drive up to Monte Sano State Park and hang your hammock for the night in the camp ground or jump on one of the trails for a short hike to a remote location and hang?
    When I lived in Huntsville (1968-80), Green Mtn & Huntsville mtn were not developed yet there was just a dirt road that ran along the top. Many very nice overlooks into the valleys from either side.
    The issue is you can only camp in the camp ground on Monte Sano and I've done every trail about 7 times up there. The Land Trust of Alabama has taken over most of Green Mountain and they do not allow camping either. I need to go ahead and take the time to drive to Sipsey Wilderness but my wife just had surgery so I want to stay kinda close.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    The issue is you can only camp in the camp ground on Monte Sano and I've done every trail about 7 times up there. The Land Trust of Alabama has taken over most of Green Mountain and they do not allow camping either. I need to go ahead and take the time to drive to Sipsey Wilderness but my wife just had surgery so I want to stay kinda close.
    What about across the Tenn river. My brother lives in Lacy'sSpring my parents did as well before they died. There are county roads that will take you to the rivers edge. Might be some nice places to hang along the bank.
    My brother just bought a full WB XLC/wookie kit and could probably show you some great places to hang across the river sadly he does not get into the internet so I have not been able to get him to join our forum. He does watch shug's video's from his cell phone. crazy.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I don't think I could sleep out in my back yard. Too many barking dogs, too much traffic, there's a train that comes through at night blowing its horn, and etc.

I can sleep great out in the woods with all the "natural" sounds but the manmade/caused noise... uh uh.

I feel your pain!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast