Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Irregularpulse View Post
    If cars, motorcycles and flood lights are keeping you awake, I don't think nature is your problem. Sounds like your solution
    Good point I was just trying to grab some outside time and new gear testing so all was not lost.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Thanks Ratdog. I know I will get used to all of it but the light. My issue is it's not cold enough to put all that on top of me yet or I've fry in the hammock. Hopefully it will cool down enough to have a frost before Thanksgiving but down here in the south you never know.
    Ha, should've looked at your info, been since the 90's since I worked at Redstone Arsenal. I hear ya, when it's warmer, covering can be a bit of a challenge. So can street lights. One of the advantages on my DIY hammock stand, now I'm not restricted to trees for hanging and can go hang out of direct line of the local street light. Has helped for sure. But I miss the swaying from the trees on a breezy night.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Bit of a tangent here, but I also dislike most "temporary" neighbors...the obnoxious ones that show up in the woods and make all kinds of noise. I'm getting to the point where I'll give up a nice view of the lake, camping by a river, or by any cool "feature". Everyone else has the same idea. Hiking away 1/4 mile and getting tucked into the woods will by my plan from now on. I had some idiots camping across a small lake last weekend and they were loud as hell. At least they went to bed by 10pm though.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Bit of a tangent here, but I also dislike most "temporary" neighbors...the obnoxious ones that show up in the woods and make all kinds of noise. I'm getting to the point where I'll give up a nice view of the lake, camping by a river, or by any cool "feature". Everyone else has the same idea. Hiking away 1/4 mile and getting tucked into the woods will by my plan from now on. I had some idiots camping across a small lake last weekend and they were loud as hell. At least they went to bed by 10pm though.
    Sounds like my last 2 trips, except I didn't leave my spot.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Am I the only one that finds the night time loud?
    Nope, you aren't. I started a post a short while back about earplugs, because I have just about had it with hanging in the back yard. Earplugs just don't seem to be doing the job, at least the ones I have been using. I haven't yet started working on the suggestions made in that thread, but will reply when I do. I'm no light sleeper, but the irregularity of the noise is what gets me, I guess. Especially the low frequencies from poor car/cycle exhaust.

I don't have many animal noises to deal with, and maybe that's because there is a long span of woods nearby, and the critters can spread out a little more.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    Sounds like my last 2 trips, except I didn't leave my spot.
    I didn't feel like it being after 9pm already so I put the earbuds in and watched a show on my iphone. Then I went to bed. Luckily they weren't up all night. Next time I'm going to stay away from the crowd...crowd being 2+ people

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Campdavid View Post
    Now that the guy has moved, why not "un-fix" that street light? :-)
    I did contact the city as soon as the neighbor moved and the City said it didn't have a path/policy to have a light removed or turned off. So you can move into a neighborhood that doesn't have lights, but - at least for now - you can't turn one back to dark (in Bend, Oregon). The city people said they were afraid they'd be sued if someone tripped on a curb or something. The also mentioned crime deterrent. Of course while the light was on, someone came though with a pickup and a flatbed and picked up a lot of big toys (snowmobiles, etc.). As far as "projectiles" option to adjust the light, a police officer moved into a house right next to the light. However, I'm guessing, as he has the lumens of the sun shining in his windows at night (the real estate people only show the house during the day), he is probably considering some "accident" himself.

As there is now and energy saving push for turning off unnecessary lights, I'll talk to the city again.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I did contact the city as soon as the neighbor moved and the City said it didn't have a path/policy to have a light removed or turned off. So you can move into a neighborhood that doesn't have lights, but - at least for now - you can't turn one back to dark (in Bend, Oregon). The city people said they were afraid they'd be sued if someone tripped on a curb or something. The also mentioned crime deterrent. Of course while the light was on, someone came though with a pickup and a flatbed and picked up a lot of big toys (snowmobiles, etc.). As far as "projectiles" option to adjust the light, a police officer moved into a house right next to the light. However, I'm guessing, as he has the lumens of the sun shining in his windows at night (the real estate people only show the house during the day), he is probably considering some "accident" himself.

As there is now and energy saving push for turning off unnecessary lights, I'll talk to the city again.
    The cop next door must leave for work sometime and those forked things with the rubber bands are silent (hopefully that description is allowed by the mods if not, I apologize. Also this is a bit "tongue in cheek" I would never condone destroying public property nor would I incite a riot).

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123