Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I sleep out in my urban backyard enough to notice that humidity, wind, temp all make a difference in how much the sounds of the city carry. I don't use earplugs and eschew sleep meds. On occasion, if I foresee a "noisier than usual" night, I might abandon a planned backyard hang however, once I am between the quilts, I rarely bail. I guess my hammock is too comfortable to leave whether I am sleeping or not.

I sleep with my cell phone on my chest (alarm clock). If I find myself awake and not immediately falling back to sleep, I start a podcast. I set the "off" timer for 15 minutes and rarely have to restart the podcast.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    When we moved to our current location, the main street light was out - a feature, not a bug. I had come from a neighborhood that didn't have street lights and at night, amazing but true, you could see stars. But the guy next door - who has since moved - complained to the city and they fixed the light. Now we have this huge freeway size "spot light" shining in everyone's second story windows. And it is location just in my vision path when I lie in the hammock. So when sleeping at home, I either use a sock or my Envy-S that has a built in peek-a-boo cover. Animals aren't bad but the guy two doors down turns his pickup on about 6 AM and lets it warm up for half an hour - or so it seems.

Once on an Island near Quadra off the east coast of Vancouver Island, I felt something brush my butt as it manouvered under the hammock. What ever it was, it kept on moving. I've considered getting one of those motion activated hunting cameras but for less than $10, I have a motion activated night light. I can put that off from the hammock and maybe the light will come on if there is something "interesting" to see. When the light won't disturb others, it is also handy for those "nightly tree visits" - I have illumination when I get up and move back the hammock and the light goes out by itself a few minutes after everything (me) settles down.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    When we moved to our current location, the main street light was out - a feature, not a bug. I had come from a neighborhood that didn't have street lights and at night, amazing but true, you could see stars. But the guy next door - who has since moved - complained to the city and they fixed the light. Now we have this huge freeway size "spot light" shining in everyone's second story windows. And it is location just in my vision path when I lie in the hammock. So when sleeping at home, I either use a sock or my Envy-S that has a built in peek-a-boo cover. Animals aren't bad but the guy two doors down turns his pickup on about 6 AM and lets it warm up for half an hour - or so it seems.

Once on an Island near Quadra off the east coast of Vancouver Island, I felt something brush my butt as it manouvered under the hammock. What ever it was, it kept on moving. I've considered getting one of those motion activated hunting cameras but for less than $10, I have a motion activated night light. I can put that off from the hammock and maybe the light will come on if there is something "interesting" to see. When the light won't disturb others, it is also handy for those "nightly tree visits" - I have illumination when I get up and move back the hammock and the light goes out by itself a few minutes after everything (me) settles down.
    Which night light do you use? This would be a nice mini security system for the animals.

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    My backyard is not too bad, however my neighbor did let out his 2 big dogs at 4am the one night. As for the light, i tend to put up a tarp when out back just incase i need to block out rain or the occasional forgetful neighbor who left their deck light on all night. Obviously this won't help if you have a CF tarp or a light colored one.
    When the wife asks, I simply say "Shug made me do it".

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Lights? Over cover, buff pulled down over the eyes, knit cap pulled down over the eyes, hang a dark wool blanket over the ridgeline. I am expert at shutting out the light to get some more hammock sleep time.

Noise, you adjust, hang in there. Nature is amazingly noisy all times of the day. You will learn, on a sub conscious level, which noises constitute safety and therefore relaxation versus alarm sounds activating alert mode. You will adjust.

After having spent more than a year sleeping outside in the woods, the biggest changed moving back inside? How quiet it was in the house. I didn't like it one bit and it took some time to be able to relax.

I miss my birdsong, squirrels, possum, trees creaking, wind blowing, rain pelting and deer sounding like Godzilla as the clumsily walk by.

The cars and trucks fade into the background as they are unimportant in feeling the everts of the day or evening.

Even the unholy screams of fox mating season will be welcome once you tune in.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    As the packaging has been thrown away, I don't have a name for the motion activated light but they are easy to find on Amazon. I sometimes put one on a shelf in the island campsite compost toilet so the women folk have a light in there when they go in at night. They work better than flashlights because people have a tendency to swing flashlight beams around, which can be disturbing to others. The motion light is more local and hands free. But I do make sure it doesn't disturb anyone else. At home, a tarp would work to keep out ambient light - 'cept where I can hang the hammock, I don't have a place to stake out a tarp. But a hammock sock and closing my eyes seems to work okay.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
    Lights? Over cover, buff pulled down over the eyes, knit cap pulled down over the eyes, hang a dark wool blanket over the ridgeline. I am expert at shutting out the light to get some more hammock sleep time.

Noise, you adjust, hang in there. Nature is amazingly noisy all times of the day. You will learn, on a sub conscious level, which noises constitute safety and therefore relaxation versus alarm sounds activating alert mode. You will adjust.

After having spent more than a year sleeping outside in the woods, the biggest changed moving back inside? How quiet it was in the house. I didn't like it one bit and it took some time to be able to relax.

I miss my birdsong, squirrels, possum, trees creaking, wind blowing, rain pelting and deer sounding like Godzilla as the clumsily walk by.

The cars and trucks fade into the background as they are unimportant in feeling the everts of the day or evening.

Even the unholy screams of fox mating season will be welcome once you tune in.
    Thanks Ratdog. I know I will get used to all of it but the light. My issue is it's not cold enough to put all that on top of me yet or I've fry in the hammock. Hopefully it will cool down enough to have a frost before Thanksgiving but down here in the south you never know.

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images
    My neighbor should not be dog people. One barks non stop and another IS going to bite someone in time pure evil. So every hour the hood is bark city. I am used to it now though first time I tried it didnt go well. I also don't like ear plugs.
    In the shadows

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Now that the guy has moved, why not "un-fix" that street light? :-)

If cars, motorcycles and flood lights are keeping you awake, I don't think nature is your problem. Sounds like your solution

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast