Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which Dutch to choose?

My son and I finally gave in and have been talked out of the tents and into the trees by several of my fellow scout leaders. Since Dutch has come highly recommended by each of them we plan on starting with gear from him.

I see the 11' hammocks on closeout that come with tree straps, 'biners, and everything to get us hanging. Sounds like a great deal, but then I see the other 11' netless hammocks Dutch has for $42 that don't include the hardware or straps.

Is there a difference between the two hammocks other than the inclusion of hardware/straps?

Thanks, gang!

- Roo

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Principally, the 11-foot Netless models ($42), for which Dutch is famous, are US-made (right there in PA, I believe) with single-piece blanks in the hammock body (as either a single layer or double layer) in your choice of high-quality material; a lot of forum members consider them one of the most comfortable offerings available. They are light, sturdy, breathable, customizable, and built to last.

The 11-foot Lounging Double Hammocks ($35 on closeout) are not actually made by Dutch and his crew, but rather manufactured overseas, using a three-piece single-layer body (a standard-width center section with an extra strip of fabric seamed on either side to get the wider "double hammock" width); their material, while fine for lounging and casual use, is of somewhat lesser quality, and is likely to be heavier and less breathable than any of the offerings from which the true Dutch 11-foot Netless can be made.

If you're looking for a quality camping hammock you'll really enjoy, the Dutch Netless is absolutely the way to go; Dutch offers such thoughtful design and craftsmanship at an affordable price it's hard to consider something else.

If you want to dip a casual toe into hammock waters, try the all-in-one Lounging Double Hammock package that Dutch offers with suspension goodies included; his import hammock is longer, wider, and better priced than most other overseas-made options, and it comes ready to hang, so it represents a fantastic value for very little cash outlay. However, be forewarned if you go this route that you're probably going to really like hanging in hammocks, and you're probably going to decide to upgrade from the import lounger to the proper Dutch Netless anyway, so...

HTH...
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 10-22-2016 at 20:46.

Hammock
    Banshee / Chameleon
    Tarp
    TrailHeadz Topo
    Insulation
    CRO / JRB /TH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    Huge difference. The closeouts if you look closely were from a mass purchase. The Dutch hammocks that have come so highly recommended are the ones that start around $42... Personally I went with the best of both worlds and have a half-wit as my goto hammock. I won't speak to those closeouts as I've not hung in them, but Dutch will only sell worthy products as a reputation is king in the hammocking community.

Chillaxin at 30 degrees
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.”
    ― Norman Maclean

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I couldn't have answered it better than it already was. When people suggest or mention my hammocks. They don't mean the lounging close out hammocks. Thay are better than the same style you see on the market because they are 11 foot long but they are heavy and not as much a camping hammock as a lounging hammock. I got them as part of a deal and they are priced to move. I doubt I will be getting them again. If you want a camping hammock. Look at the netless hammock. Buy your second hammock first.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images
    The last part of what dutch just said is key. Buy your second hammock first. Buy once welcome to the forums
    In the shadows

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Dutch are the straps that come with the closeout hammocks polyester or nylon?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroma View Post
    Dutch are the straps that come with the closeout hammocks polyester or nylon?
    They are polyester. Pretty good quality but a little heavy as to be expected with daisy chain straps. The Biner is steel and can be a deadly weapon if you sling it around.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    I love my Dutch netless. I got the complete hanging kit with whoopie slings...easy enough to figure out and adjust, even for someone with no help. I also added the bugnet, even though it's generally not a necessity here for most of the year. I can't say enough good things about my set-up.

+1 for the 11 foot netless. Mine is 1.6 Argon, and I spent Friday night and Saturday night hanging in my yard learning to use an under quilt with it.

These are a good value as the base of a modular system. You can add your choice of suspension type, bug net, insulation top and bottom, and tarp. The confusing thing is that you have to learn a lot to know what you want in terms of all the options. But that's also the fun part for a lot of us.

Just as a for instance, I waited two years before getting my first under quilt. I still don't know enough to say if I got the right one or not. But it's fun to "research" by sleeping outside.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Thanks, everyone. I've done quite a bit of research here and online over the past week, enjoyed reading 'The Ultimate Hang' over the weekend, and picked up a couple of the famous $20 Costco down covers to make us top quilts. The kid told me his color choice last night so I'll be placing an order with Dutch sometime this week or next. I really appreciate all of the guidance here and am looking forward to hanging around.

- Roo

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast