Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I use hammocks with integrated bug nets and find the bug net adds a little warmth in the winter time and also keeps my TQ and other stuff in the hammock if I am restless during the night.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    I use hammocks with integrated bug nets and find the bug net adds a little warmth in the winter time and also keeps my TQ and other stuff in the hammock if I am restless during the night.
    I agree. It holds a bit of warmth, keeps off some moisture, blocks some wind, and keeps my gear in place. That's a lot of uses for a few ounces.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre / Exped
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    With my Hammock Bliss Sky Bed Bug Free, the bugnet is integrated and does not zip-off. There are also a few pockets on the inside of the hammock. It has been easier for me to just set it up like normal, rather than put the pad in the sleeve and then flip it over to sleep on the 'bottom' side just to ditch the bugnet. Honestly I don't find the net obtrusive at all.

With the Ridgerunner, I'll probably leave the net rolled up during the winter, but for most of the year where I camp there's a possibilities of bugs or spiders. I put up a tarp last weekend even though it wasn't going to rain, just to make sure spiders didn't paradrop on me from above. That and leaves were still falling in Oklahoma.

I took my ENO bug net off this winter for the first time. I just didn't want to mess with it. It'll be a good test to see if there is that much of a difference in heat retention.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hi,

I leave my netting on all year as in the winter it serves as a bit of a wind block. The only downside is that frost will likely form on the netting and you first movements each morning usually result a little cursing as you get a little "snowfall" on your face.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    Dutch Wide , WB Sock, BIASbuginato
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    BeetleB & K straps
    Just unneeded extra weight, drop it. If you need your bug-net to add warmth you best take more layers, or upgrade your quilts. Of course I have been blessed with ZERO bug issues in the southeast. Seems like the mosquitoes have abandoned the wilderness areas and other trails I visit, for a better feast in the suburbs(more humans).

Hammock
    Dutch Wide , WB Sock, BIASbuginato
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    BeetleB & K straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadwater View Post
    I've got a WBBB too, and even though I'd love to always keep the bugnet off in cooler temps, at populated campsites (and even some not populated sites), I leave it on for MICE. My buddy woke up to one in his hammock using his face as a bathroom, and that sealed the deal for me. It wasn't that heavily a used campsite either, and there wasn't any food on the ground.
    Geez, makes me wonder what he did to deserve that level of bad Karma! Maybe his cat-hole from the night before was next to the mouses burrow...

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    What net?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Mine comes off as soon as mosquitos are gone. Usually i wait until I'm sure the daytime highs won't pass 65. This year though I didn't think about it, so it stayed on until I got annoyed with it enough to realize it wasn't necessary anymore.

As for the wee bit of extra warmth it might provide, temps here have already dropped below the level where it's even noticeable... And it's only just hitting sub-30° lows. I find the convenience of being able to exit the hammock unimpeded far outweighs the dubious R-value the net provides

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    If you need your bug-net to add warmth you best take more layers, or upgrade your quilts.
    I don't need it for the warmth, that is just a bonus. Depending on the TQ and UQ I am using, I am good to at least 0 degrees ( fahrenheit ). I try to keep the layers I need to carry to a minimum as too many layers if not loose enough can restrict blood flow and make you colder ( an issue I am very familiar with as I am on blood thinners ). I train for the cold every day at work as I work in refrigerated store rooms and freezer spaces at a grocery store.

I was curious as how much warmth one could get from using a bug net. I used 3 thermometers, one in my hammock hanging from the ridge line, one on a table outside the hammock and under my tarp and the third on a picnic table about 50 feet away. The difference was about 5 degrees warmer than the thermometer reading just outside the hammock and 10 degrees warmer than the reading from the thermometer on the picnic table. I did this at a couple of hangs and got similar readings. Not a great addition but I will take it. This was by no means a scientific study but I felt gave me a good idea of what I could expect.

If you feel you don't need a bug net, then don't use it. Like i said before, I like it for keeping the bugs out when they are active and the rest of the time for keeping my gear inside my hammock at night.

Have not run into any mice wanting to share my hammock with me and I would prefer not to share with them.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast