Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Lower: WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopi

Quick Questions about WBBB XLC

Hello all:

Just got in last week from my first use with my new BB XLC. It literally arrived the day before I departed on a trip, so I didn't have much time to play with it before I hit the trail. I've got a couple of questions.

1) Is it normal, when laying in it with feet in the foot box and head offset by the same angle, for the zipper on the hammock to be next to my face instead of above it? I'm coming from the eno world, which the hammock typically extended well above my head, even in the offset sleeping position.

Literally, if I opened my eyes, I was staring at zipper at about nose level, with nothing but top cover above my head. This also resulted in the top cover being about .75" from my face, even staked out. The side with the shelf was also about 18" above my shoulder on the other side.

Is this how it should be? As mentioned, this is my first asym hammock.

2) I was using the winter top cover under my superfly tarp. Temps were down in the upper 20s/lower 30s. I got a LOT of condensation inside the top cover. Is there a way to minimize this?

3) In one spot where I rigged my hammock, the internal ridgeline was somewhat tight, but not guitar string tight by any means after I set it up. Then, when I climbed in, the internal ridgeline sagged in the middle, such that it was only a couple of inches above my face. My hang angles showed right at 30 deg. using the iphone app. What adjustment do I need to change to prevent this from happening? Trees further apart? Higher placement of the tree straps? Tighter or looser suspension? It was kind of annoying to have a cold, damp-from-condensation top cover adhering to my cheek every time I moved.

I'm sure I just need some practice getting it all rigged up just right, but it would help if I knew what to expect.

Many thanks!
    unconfirmed

Images
    1. That is normal, but the height of the topcpver/net is also effected by the angle of the bungee you stake out, so if you stake the bungee closer to the hammock (down steeper), the edge of the topcover will be lower and if you stake it farther away or to a sapling or something higher up the edge of the topcover will be higher, so it is adjustable in that way.

2. condensation will sometimes happen no matter what and sometimes not at all, depending on a number of factors including temp, humidity, wind, user, etc. if you are in a high humidity situation and you want to minimize it, leave the zipper open 6" or so.

3. IT doesn;'t matter so much how the RL is when nobody is in it, what matters is more how it is when loaded. If the RL sags and you want to tighten it, tighten the suspension, if the RL is too tight and you want to loosen it loosen the suspension. Doesn't have to be exact, but generally tighten the suspension enough so it doesn't sag when you're in it but not super tight, if it is super tight loosen slightly

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Whoopi
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    1. That is normal, but the height of the topcpver/net is also effected by the angle of the bungee you stake out, so if you stake the bungee closer to the hammock (down steeper), the edge of the topcover will be lower and if you stake it farther away or to a sapling or something higher up the edge of the topcover will be higher, so it is adjustable in that way.

2. condensation will sometimes happen no matter what and sometimes not at all, depending on a number of factors including temp, humidity, wind, user, etc. if you are in a high humidity situation and you want to minimize it, leave the zipper open 6" or so.

3. IT doesn;'t matter so much how the RL is when nobody is in it, what matters is more how it is when loaded. If the RL sags and you want to tighten it, tighten the suspension, if the RL is too tight and you want to loosen it loosen the suspension. Doesn't have to be exact, but generally tighten the suspension enough so it doesn't sag when you're in it but not super tight, if it is super tight loosen slightly
    Brandon: Thanks for the info! Nothing like hearing directly from the boss.

I really like the hammock, and it slept great. Thank you for getting it out to me in time for my trip, even if the Wooki didn't make it. Ryan jumped through some hoops to help it happen, and I very much appreciate it.

RE: #3: I had the whoopies pulled almost all the way tight b/c of the closeness of the trees. I estimate the trees were about 14' apart, based on having about 18" on either end of my superfly tarp. The second night in this particular spot, I tried to tighten it up a bit, but it didn't seem to make a huge difference. The hammock was pretty much straight across without me sitting in it, but when I climbed in, it still sagged. Am I missing something?

Images
    Hard to say but you shouldn't be pulling the suspension so tight that the Rl, and both suspensions make a straight line. Tightenting the suspension tightens the RL, loosening the suspension loosens the RL.

Can you have somebody lay in the hammock and take a picture of the RL is sagging but so I can also see the suspension angle at the same time?

if the trees are too close that could certainly kep you from being able to tighten the hammock enough to tighten the RL

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Whoopi
    Brandon: Yes, but it may be over the weekend sometime. I'll post something as soon as I can.

Thanks!

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Your trees were too close dude. Plenty of YouTube videos to help you out.

Hammock
    HH D-Explorer Asym, ENO D-nest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    HHSS, Jærven
    Suspension
    Straps+rope, Atlas

Quick Questions about WBBB XLC

Yippee!
    My new BB XLC arrived on Tuesday, and tonight it will be broken in.

My Tower Hill hammock in the IKEA hammock stand has been my bed for the past month. The hammocks are set up under roof in a non-insulated room on our veranda. I'm glad the suspension of the XLC worked with the hanging points I've made. My son is going to sleep in the TH hammock, so we're going to have a nice time outdoors. It's going to be a 40F/4C night.
    Now to the quick question:
    The diagonal lay of the BB XLC - feet in foot box, but torso - in the middle or off to the left side? Just trying to find my optimal position...
    I love a good nights sleep as well as anybody - I just love mine elevated...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Whoopi
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    Hard to say but you shouldn't be pulling the suspension so tight that the Rl, and both suspensions make a straight line. Tightenting the suspension tightens the RL, loosening the suspension loosens the RL.

Can you have somebody lay in the hammock and take a picture of the RL is sagging but so I can also see the suspension angle at the same time?

if the trees are too close that could certainly kep you from being able to tighten the hammock enough to tighten the RL
    Brandon: It must have been the trees. Hung the hammock in two different places more separately spaced this weekend and it was quite tight. Thanks for your help!

• + New Posts