Dutch 10' Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    SLD w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

Hammock Tent Vendor 90 Degree Hammock

I saw a post on BPL about someone selling a Hammock Tent Gamma UL. I was confused because I've never heard this company. I checked out the website and surprisingly they sell hammocks that are similar to the Amok Draumr. You lay perpendicularly against the suspension. Their other products are pretty unique too. They have a daisy chain suspension, but not in the usual 1" flat webbing. Instead, they use a polypropylene line (imagine an 8mm rope with holes in the middle every 9 cm). Their tarp is similar to Hammock Gear's Standard Tarp with doors, but again turned perpendicularly, so it sticks to the left and right of the suspesnion more and the doors are more vertical. Apparently ZPacks makes it for them.

This got me wondering why we do not see as many perpendicular hammocks out there? They look comfortable. Is it a hassle to build? Or maybe there are urability concerns?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    Their are a few threads kicking around about Luke's 90° I have the hammock and tarp and really like them.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ccchans View Post
    This got me wondering why we do not see as many perpendicular hammocks out there? They look comfortable. Is it a hassle to build? Or maybe there are urability concerns?
    I have had the opportunity to lie in a few perpendicular hammocks, including the 90° hammock, and I'm planning to build one myself after I figured out how I can hang it at home. While this hammock design can be quite comfortable, there are a few reasons why they are not more popular.

1. All perpendicular hammocks I have seen more or less need a pad to be really comfortable.
    2. Even if you are fine without a pad, it's difficult to make an underquilt work.
    3. Comfort is dependent on the pad. Some work great, others not so much. This seriously limits your choices.
    4. Since the hammock needs a pad, there's a limit on how long it can be. Afaik there's no solution for people who are taller than ~6'.
    5. You need a tarp tailored to the hammock: it needs a short ridgeline but long sides. At the moment you have to stick with the tarps the manufacturers offer or DIY something.

Additionally, perpendicular hammocks sway from head to toe, not from side to side. I don't deal with this movement too well. But it might not be a big issue for somebody else.

With all hammocks I tried, I had a lay that was less flat than what I get in my favorite gathered end hammocks. If you sew one yourself, you can adjust the curve to some degree, but I wonder if there's a reason why all perpendicular hammocks I tested had a curve built in like that.
    Last edited by hutzelbein; 10-21-2016 at 01:11.

Hammock
    Dutch 10' Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    SLD w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Those are all valid points. When you say curve, do you mean vertically like a banana shaped hammock, it horizontally like a letter 'C' laying flat on the ground?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ccchans View Post
    Those are all valid points. When you say curve, do you mean vertically like a banana shaped hammock, it horizontally like a letter 'C' laying flat on the ground?
    I'm not sure if I picture this correctly. But with "curved" I meant that when lying on your back, head and feet come up quite a bit. However, it felt different than a gathered end; I don't remember feeling that my knees were hyperextended, but for my taste, my head was up too high. With a gathered end hammock, you can simply go more diagonal to control the curve (I actually like a slight curve) - with the perpendicular hammocks you have to live with the curve the maker thought was comfortable. Unless you cut the strings and change the length to get a different shape.

Hi guys,

already asking around in the German hammock forum, but there are so much more hammocktent users around here:
    Anyone has tried to take the pad into the hammocktent 90° hammock? Does it work?
    Surely not as great as in the pad pocket, yet I wonder if compared to a gathered end it's more of a viable option
    (considering that the Delta UL is currently less than half-price compared to the Gamma and I would like to give a 90° a first try and not blow too much money right away)

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    I haven't tried it in mine since I have the sleeve but I would imagine it would work.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0 and 90° Hammock Gam
    Tarp
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Insulation
    Exped downmath;)
    Suspension
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Images
    Was 50% off price on the gamma this week....I got two more for the kids
    Love my Hammock Tent Gamma....have a warbonnet and a AMOK...but the gamma beats all...for me
    DSC06973.jpg by Rickard Andersson, on Flickr
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/65072883@N04/

Hammock
    Dutch 10' Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    SLD w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    I wish I had not seen this deal... Just when I thought I was done shopping for Black Friday haha

The delta is 50% off not the gamma?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast