Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Regarding Redearmedia's picture above.

A couple nights ago I thought to myself "Yo, self, what would it be like if you took your Downmat UL 7 LW and only inflated it enough so that it resembled the loft of an UQ?" Actually, it is a much longer story, but suffice it to say that I, and others e.g. Luke and J. Gunz, lean toward preferring having the hammock partially collapse, versus the more rigid experience of a full length inflated pad. Such an experience can be had with a down or synthetic UQ or by using a short "torso" pad coupled with either a foot pad, jacket, or light UQ such as the Costco down throw. I've mentioned the benefits of this configuration in either this thread or another 90* thread, so I won't belabor the point.

This started when I picked up a short (48"x20") Downmat 7 off ebay. It was suppose to be 25" wide, and inspite of asking the seller 3 times to double check this, it was only 20"...partial refund and now at price I couldn't return. But this short pad got me to thinking if I barely inflated my downmat 7 UL LW and folded it in half, would it work as a short wide pad? Naw, not so good as it wasn't torso length and made a bulge for my upper body and a dip for the lower. So I unfolded it and gave it a go. I had a truly marvelous night, both back and side sleeping. Plus the benefits of a hammock that would partially collapse. I highly recommend giving this a try. Remember to just inflate it enough to mimic a down UQ, stuff in the pad pocket (you might have to fold in half lengthwise to get it in), and enjoy!

Also, in my research the only short and wide inflatable is the NeoAir Trekker. I was wondering if anyone has access to one of these pads and can give it an experiential test? These pads only have an R rating of 3, but for summer use or if coupled with another option, e.g. Costco throw or CCF, maybe able to grapple with colder conditions?

Hammock
    JustBill's Biggy Deluxe
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Zepp/LL Ghost Pepr
    Images
    I will definitely try this. I wonder what affect this would have on the temp. rating? Thanks for the update.
    But for the grace of God, there, I go...

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Everyone tends to be a little different regarding comfortable sleeping temps. From some of the stalwart temperature endurance reports of folks using a folded Kleneex as a UQ hereabouts, I realize I am somewhat of a wuss when it comes to tolerating CBS.

Having said that, the temperatures in the dogtrot where I have been using the hammock this winter are around 32-40F. I know it has gone down to below 32 during the recent spate of cold weather (-20 to -10 nights) because of the ice on the dog water dish. Nights with the partially inflated Downmat 7 UL LW haave been comfortable enough to sleep well. I even used the sleeping bag in quilt form to test if the additional insulation from the mummy bag was biasing the results. I will be back to testing this this evening and hope I don't have to eat some crow.

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold View Post
    I did. Swapped in Dutch spiders. No problem switching suspension on one. Took me about 2 minutes. Ran a a continuous loop on either side and then straps with Dutchware spiders on them.
    So you kept the rings to attach the loop?

Quote Originally Posted by happywizz View Post
    No difference on the ground. Only difference is that you will miss the elastic tie outs on the corners. But thats no problem. I uploaded two foto's one with cc only and one with a extra alumium layer on top. The latter is nice as you glide easier in and out of the hammock and provides some extra insulation. With this configuration I can go to about -4 C (tested)
    Thx.
    I got quite cold on the aluminum, maybe due to a lil sweat which can't be absorbed by it and then cooling?
    Can't tell temps, but def. above 0°C.

How thick is your closed cell mat?
    Does it overlap a lot where it doubles to provide additional insulation there?

Quote Originally Posted by hang-loose View Post
    So you kept the rings to attach the loop?
    I found it easy to remove the rings while the continuous loop remained on the hammock.

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by sandworm40 View Post
    My Gamma UL came with the small continuous loop and the two descender rings. I did not like the minor difficulty of releasing the tension on the lines. I kept the small continuous loop, and am using the 2" kevlar tree straps from Dutchware with two 10' lengths of half-inch wide mule tape webbing looped on one end from AntiGravityGear. I attach the mule tape to the continuous loops with a Becket hitch.
    So glad to hear that since its exactly what I thought I'd try. I have to wonder what is keeping one from doing that with the stock ropes. I just haven't had a chance to try it out. I think they'll be too slippery..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Spent last night in my WBRR with the arrowhead Ridgecreek and lightly inflated Downmat 7 UL LW ( inflated just enough to resemble a UQ). Light inflation worked great in the garage at around 25*F. But I must say I find my 90* to be SO much more comfortable...period. That is not to say I would sell the WBRR, I really like the removable bug netting, easy in/out, and footbox. But after spending considerable time using the 90* this winter I find the 90* simply is far better for lack of shoulder squeeze and feeling much more spacious compared to the slightly cramped feeling of the WBRR when side sleeping.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Spent last night in my WBRR with the arrowhead Ridgecreek and lightly inflated Downmat 7 UL LW ( inflated just enough to resemble a UQ). Light inflation worked great in the garage at around 25*F. But I must say I find my 90* to be SO much more comfortable...period. That is not to say I would sell the WBRR, I really like the removable bug netting, easy in/out, and footbox. But after spending considerable time using the 90* this winter I find the 90* simply is far better for lack of shoulder squeeze and feeling much more spacious compared to the slightly cramped feeling of the WBRR when side sleeping.
    I also have both hammocks,and I agree the 90 is just more comfy overall.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

I'm 6'2" with size 13 feet and the 90* is just a bit too short for me. If I lay on my back my feet get pushed up and forced into a no pun intended 90* angle which is not so relaxing. If I scoot way to the head end I can get some relief from that feeling but I end up sliding back to the center. Sleeping on the side is much better but overall it's still too short for me. I've migrated to the WBRR and the 90* Gamma UL is dedicated to my wife if she ever wants to hang. It really is a nice piece of kit. The only other down side that I see is the dedicated tarp is very expensive at $400. It's made for Luke by ZPacks so it's a very nice tarp but still that's a lot of money. Others have reported decent results using various other tarps so ymmv. I never used it in tarp weather so I cannot say what works best.

I've had the best results using the Big Agnes Q-Core SLX Long Wide pad and the Exped SynMat UL7. I found the larger outer chambers of the Q-Core keep the hammock bed more completely open than the Exped. Not a huge difference but if you are buying a new pad it's worth a look.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast