Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast
    All right, gotcha!
    I got a v1 and a V2, but the V2 seems to have some curve as I don't have the knee problems in there.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Yes, you are right about the V2. Luke built some lift into the V2.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    It looks like you have the general idea. The loops below the figure eight are about 1/4-3/8 inch at the head end of the hammock. The ones at the thigh to the lower calves start at 3/8", get progressively longer to about 1.1/4" under the knee, and then taper back to 1/2" at the lower calves. I have the earlier HT90s that have the 1/2 inch fabric band where the suspension attaches to the hammock body. I am able to tuck the loops under the fabric band since they are at the very end of the suspension. The newer design HTs don't have this fabric band, and the loops would be exposed. But that shouldn't be a problem. In the pic you can also see the marker color where the very bottom of the suspension is. This is the tip of the figure eight knot in order to make sure the figure eight loop and suspension are formed at the bottom of the suspension. Attachment 185674
    I assume the knot mods do not interfere with side sleeping, even with legs straight out? I have not noticed any knee extension without a pad( using the INNER quilt approach). Often(but not always) with a full length, fully inflated pad, I do. But, in cold weather when I don't need the net closed, I have noticed that I can have my feet a little beyond the end of the hammock with my NeoAir pad, and I end up with my knees flexed like in a recliner. Extremely comfortable, but naturally I would prefer to have my feet inside the hammock and net with the same comfort. So I might need to experiment with your mod.

Images
    Wow! Sad, maybe some one else wil take over this product if not patent protected.

Products

Production of the 90 Degree Hammock and Tarp-Tent has been phased out.
    If I am reading that right, there goes another one.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Wow! Sad, maybe some one else wil take over this product if not patent protected.

If I am reading that right, there goes another one.

I agree. Every account I hear of this tent is that is/was the most comfortable ever, even compared to other 90° tents. I hope somebody gets going on it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBonBon View Post
    I agree. Every account I hear of this tent is that is/was the most comfortable ever, even compared to other 90° tents. I hope somebody gets going on it.

I have seen too many vendors, often makers of high quality products, just go away over the years. Sometimes due to some failings of their own, lie suddenly not being responsive to customers. But often I think standards remained high until the sudden end. I guess it is just a tough business, or something. Lots of competition I guess. Or maybe hard to make enough profit compared to the hours put into it. Or maybe folks just get tired of this line of work and want to move on.

Though there are several, right now I am thinking of one of the pioneers: Speer Hammocks. Great hammocks and makers of the wonderful Pea Pods, Snugfit UQ, and SPE. Then one day, they suddenly were no longer around, but at least another great vendor had taken over their product line: TTTG(?), or better known as makers of the HIGHLY praised Switchback hammocks(still got mine, still a fav). Lo and behold a year or 2 later, people are asking: hey, how can I get in touch with this guy? Then after a while, we figure it out: you can't. They are out of business. Gone are the Switchbacks, and Speer with them. I hated to see them go.

Now, apparently the same applies to HammockTent90. I really do think mine is a great hammock. It might well be the most overall comfy hammock I have used. One thing I always thought was a mistake from a business standpoint, particularly for an expensive hammock with expensive shipping to the states: After V1 was no longer available, seems like all models had a 200 lb max rated weight. There are a whole bunch of hangers above 200, usually including me. ( Mine is the old version rated to 220 or so). But it is definitely UL, and when it finally wears out, I am going to have to make my own on this pattern. (or find some one to do it for me) But I will use heavier fabrics rated for heavier users.

Of course, it might be he is simply coming out with a different version, and not actually out of business. But, no hint about that, either way, at the website. To me the really great thing about this 90º is that it did not actually require a pad. And thick insulation could be added to the 3" deep pad pocket, with or without a pad. Now, admittedly, things are pretty weird with no pad, especially when changing positions. OTOH, when on my back, there was no hint of knee extension as there sometimes was with a full length pad. And most important, while very comfy with a pad for side sleeping, at least as good as anything else I have tried, with no pad, it was hands down the most comfy I have ever tried for fetal position sleeping. Hate to see another one go. But I guess business is business.

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I have seen too many vendors, often makers of high quality products, just go away over the years. Sometimes due to some failings of their own, lie suddenly not being responsive to customers. But often I think standards remained high until the sudden end. I guess it is just a tough business, or something. Lots of competition I guess. Or maybe hard to make enough profit compared to the hours put into it. Or maybe folks just get tired of this line of work and want to move on.

Though there are several, right now I am thinking of one of the pioneers: Speer Hammocks. Great hammocks and makers of the wonderful Pea Pods, Snugfit UQ, and SPE. Then one day, they suddenly were no longer around, but at least another great vendor had taken over their product line: TTTG(?), or better known as makers of the HIGHLY praised Switchback hammocks(still got mine, still a fav). Lo and behold a year or 2 later, people are asking: hey, how can I get in touch with this guy? Then after a while, we figure it out: you can't. They are out of business. Gone are the Switchbacks, and Speer with them. I hated to see them go.

Now, apparently the same applies to HammockTent90. I really do think mine is a great hammock. It might well be the most overall comfy hammock I have used. One thing I always thought was a mistake from a business standpoint, particularly for an expensive hammock with expensive shipping to the states: After V1 was no longer available, seems like all models had a 200 lb max rated weight. There are a whole bunch of hangers above 200, usually including me. ( Mine is the old version rated to 220 or so). But it is definitely UL, and when it finally wears out, I am going to have to make my own on this pattern. (or find some one to do it for me) But I will use heavier fabrics rated for heavier users.

Of course, it might be he is simply coming out with a different version, and not actually out of business. But, no hint about that, either way, at the website. To me the really great thing about this 90º is that it did not actually require a pad. And thick insulation could be added to the 3" deep pad pocket, with or without a pad. Now, admittedly, things are pretty weird with no pad, especially when changing positions. OTOH, when on my back, there was no hint of knee extension as there sometimes was with a full length pad. And most important, while very comfy with a pad for side sleeping, at least as good as anything else I have tried, with no pad, it was hands down the most comfy I have ever tried for fetal position sleeping. Hate to see another one go. But I guess business is business.
    Awhile back, I emailed him. He said he's closed up. I've been playing with GE hammocks the last couple years, but I'm sure I'll go back to the 90degree. There really is no comparison in comfort and versatility. I sure am liking the large tarp though with a GE. I keep thinking of contacting Jared to see if he can do a 90 deg style tarp longer on one side to create a massive porch. That might be ideal.

Have you looked at the Cross Hammock?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimswms View Post
    Awhile back, I emailed him. He said he's closed up. I've been playing with GE hammocks the last couple years, but I'm sure I'll go back to the 90degree. There really is no comparison in comfort and versatility. I sure am liking the large tarp though with a GE. I keep thinking of contacting Jared to see if he can do a 90 deg style tarp longer on one side to create a massive porch. That might be ideal.

Have you looked at the Cross Hammock?
    I have not, but I will. But I have sort of hoped that- when folks who have a good product go out of business, that other vendors who are doing well would step in and offer their version of the out of business companies product. That is, if a patent did not interfere with doing so. For example: I have missed being able to by a Speer Pea Pod for several years now, but no reason at all that another quilt maker could not offer their version of the same product. Maybe even with a few improvements of their own. Or, this Hammockent 90. Only this time, gave a version that is good for 250 or even 400 lbs, rather than limiting the user base by having a max weight of 200 lbs. Why not?

Of course, before that will happen, these vendors would have to determine that there was some market demand, or they are unlikely to waste their time and money on developing it. Although, they could make them on some sort of custom order basis. But I suppose if any of us want these products in the future, we will have to make our own.

Images
    The Cross Hammock looks pretty much like the HammockTent90. And also has to be ordered from Europe( shipping charges! ) and is very expensive. But, at least it has a weight rating between 176 and 264 lbs, depending on model. But, at least we can still get one if we really want one. I wonder if the pad pocket is like the unique/deep pocket on the HT? I have always liked the ability to use a thick pad without raising center of gravity, or use an INNER quilt, or a combo of both.

EDIT: on looking closer, I see the Cross H. does not have a pad pocket per se, but rather slots on each end for placing the head and foot end of the pad. Although, there is a double layer model, but it might not accept pads. But, I like the looks of this hammock. But, whoo Buddy, what a price.

Looks to me like about $320-$476 (after converting to US dollars) depending on which extras(like net or double layer), and after adding the $66 for shipping to USA. Now that is an expensive hammock. But, I'd love to try one.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 06-10-2021 at 15:22.

Crosshammock is a German cottage in the market since several years already.
    All handmade in Germany by the owner. Very fair priced if you ask me - note that the tarptent 2.0 was much higher priced (and the 1.0 obviously a huge miscalculation with the 2.0 price as a result.)

Also tarp options available - and happy to customise things upon request as products are made to order.
    I've heard of extra long mats for tall people etc.
    Also the adjustable head section is great for reading.
    And yes, they do ship internationally.

https://crosshammock.com/

I've tried both, tarptent and crosshammock and they're equally comfy for me.
    Happy to answer questions as good as I can.

• + New Posts
  • Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast