Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimswms View Post
    Team FTB! It's levain from ADV..
    both of my 90 degree hammocks are hung up for some backyard camping with my daughter. I can post a picture of pack size tomorrow, but the ver 2.0 is significantly smaller packed. It's truly tiny. You'll be impressed. I'm still on the fence, but I might even prefer the older gamma ul to the new ver 2, if you can find one..
    The nice thing about pads for this hammock is, unlike the amok, you can use any pad available to you since it isn't needed for structure, so find an UL pad that packs small enough and and your good.

Greetings gym thank you for the response. And especially thank you for posting the size of the version to Hamid in it stuff sack. It does indeed look a lot smaller than my warbonnet. The next question is to do some research and figure it out all the differences between this 90 degree and my typical asymmetrical hammocks.

I do have some 2/3 length under quilts that I could combine with a torso pad to work for my bottom insulation. Sadly there is nobody over here for me to test out a 90-degree hammock to see if it's something that I like or not. Also with a new Manufacturing location the entry prices they lot more than it used to be when it was assembled in Indonesia so it will be an expensive proposition to switch over to one as I will need a brand new tarp, the $ 400 + dollar hammock as well as a pad. None of my existing gear will transfer over sadly. Hence all my questions trying to determine if this is an upgrade that I would enjoy.

Again thank you for your posted pictures of it in a stuff sack!

Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    An important point to clarify. It is not really a "squeezing" issue without a pad, because even without a pad I find there is no squeeze effect, unlike say, a WBRR. That is to say, even without a pad the hammocktent does not squeeze you in like other designs.

It is more an issue of the hammocktent collapsing with you as you turn on your side and curl up. It isn't necessarily a problem, but something to be aware of. Due to the collapsing head to foot is why most folks like to add some rigidity with a pad or a half pad. A torso length pad with some insulation from clothing or a sit pad works fine. Again, some folks give it a go without any pad.
    Thank you for that information. My assumption that the squeezing was from the shoulders getting pressed together was wrong obviously. With a torso pad do you not still get the head and feet and is collapsing on you? I'm wondering being a short *** at 5 foot 6 if I would have less of a collapsing problem with a torso pad?

This is the only thread I've read on this hammock tent 90 degree hammock. If there are any other forums or any other information out there that anyone can point me towards for additional research that would be appreciated.

Hammock
    90 degree hammock 1.0
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    Costco DIY quilts
    Suspension
    What was included
    Mind if I reply? I'm 5'4" and have tried sleeping in the hammock without any pad at all. I don't have a torso pad to be able to comment on that. What I found sleeping without a pad was I wiggled around a lot during the night because the foot section would collapse toward my head and I was pushing it out during the night. It would also sometimes cause ridges that were uncomfortable. I'm a very fussy sleeper. I like to have everything just right. If you are not, you could probably do just fine without a pad and just a quilt in the pocket. You could probably alter a current under quilt to go in the pocket. I decided it was worth the weight to carry a pad.

Hammock
    JustBill's Biggy Deluxe
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Zepp/LL Ghost Pepr
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by team FTB View Post
    Thank you Johnny Gunz. Can you elaborate a bit more when you call it a different type of animal? Obviously it's world's different then my asymmetrical hammocks but I'm just wondering if you can expand on that point so I'm aware of everything that is different. For me since I would need a new tarp a new hammock as well as pads it will be an expenditure and I just want to make sure I know everything about this hammock and how it compares to the asymmetrical hammocks from Hennessy and Warbonnet that I've used.

As you mentioned one of the things that attracts me to the 90-degree hammock is the way that it can be hung between trees that are a little narrower than 15 ft. Often times that will be the case and so it frees up treat choices tremendously.
    By that, I mean it is very different from a gathered end hammock. Just as with a bridge hammock, the way it supports you is totally different. The typical problems of GE users, calf ridges, much-less-than-flat lay, etc, don't apply here. But, issues like head to foot pressure may exist. At your height, I think a 90* would work very well. A pad would eliminate that issue for you, though. I do feel some pressure at my head and foot, but I'm 6'2". Insulation is also different, with a pad being ideal, but not necessary. I was able to squirm into a mummy bag in my 90*. It wasn't easy, but laying it wide open and unzipped, it worked. That is a nightmare for me in a gathered end. You might could get away with a good sleeping bag and filling the pad compartment with extra clothing. If you camp in warmer weather, you may not need anything but a light bag.

The 90* is a very comfortable hammock and requires no finding the right angle, suspension height, or lay. It's like a bridge hammock, in that it can be viewed as a floating cot. My wife isn't a hammock fan and stated she would not hammock camp...until she laid in the 90*. She immediately said, "I can sleep in this!" I would suggest watching the for sale section for an old style Gamma. I wouldn't even worry about needing an UL version. Mine is standard and is crazy light. Or, reach out to Luke and see if he has anything laying around. Good luck!
    But for the grace of God, there, I go...

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gunz View Post
    The 90* is a very comfortable hammock and requires no finding the right angle, suspension height, or lay. It's like a bridge hammock, in that it can be viewed as a floating cot.
    this

the tension via the ridgelines is directly OUT towards your sides. it's not a head to foot tension like a gathered end, or a bridge (altho bridge has spreader bars to mitigate that)

and if your location is thailand, and if my google-fu is accurate you probably don't need much insulation at all. a thin closed cell foam mat is probably all you need at the most

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by team FTB View Post
    Thank you for that information. My assumption that the squeezing was from the shoulders getting pressed together was wrong obviously. With a torso pad do you not still get the head and feet and is collapsing on you? I'm wondering being a short *** at 5 foot 6 if I would have less of a collapsing problem with a torso pad?

This is the only thread I've read on this hammock tent 90 degree hammock. If there are any other forums or any other information out there that anyone can point me towards for additional research that would be appreciated.
    With a short or torso pad you don't have the head end collapsing, just the foot end and this is miitigated somewhat by having clothing or a sit pad in the foot end for insulation. Again, this is for UL backpacking which usually means some trade offs. The other nice thing about this is it does make a better camp chair, it is easier to get in and out, and it tends to poke the tarp less as you get in and out.

There are a couple ways to find more threads. If you scroll down to the bottom you will see other threads that have similar themes, e.g. 90 degree hammocks. Or put 90 degree hammock or hammocktent into the search function and voile!

Pattio60 I would strongly encourage you to either try out several bottom insulation methods before heading out, especially if it will be in the low 30. It kind of like with kids...do your best to make it a positive experience for your hubby because a bad case of the CBS (cold butt syndrome) could quickly leave a bad impression of hammock camping. As for his desire to use a sleeping bad, I use sleeping bags as top quilts all the time, i.e. drape it over me, and I would suggest your husband try the same thing because although it is possible to get inside a sleeping bag in a hammock it is a wrestling match. Having said that, it is easier in a hammocktent than other hammock types as Johnny noted. Also, I think most of us hammocktenters abandon the suspension strings in favor of some other system precisely for what you have observed, i.e. the strings can be tough to deal with. I use either the pentagonal buckles off my former WBRR with 1 inch nylon or kevlar tree straps, a marlin spike, or the Becket knot. I've mentioned this to Luke and his rationale is his focus is on minimizing weight, one of the paramount benefit of the hammocktent, and leaves it up to the owner to tweak what works best for them.

Team FTB: The latest version of the hammocktent is indeed expensive. There is two ways to address this. Purchase it and if it doesn't meet your expectations sell it on the FS forum. Few hammocktents come up for sale and the ones that do go quickly. Or purchase one of the lesser models, e.g. the Beta, and see how it suits you. Luke has some on sale for 50% off (about $77) that I too am battling the temptation to purchase a Beta for non-backpacking purposes.

Hammock
    WB RR, Amok, GammaUL
    Tarp
    SLD Custom, WB SF
    Insulation
    Asst'd
    Suspension
    Spiders on webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Hey, does anyone have experience with the Beta vs. the Gamma UL? I was thinking about picking up one for truck camping and saving my Gamma UL strictly for backpacking.
    Hey OTD. I have the Gamma UL and the Beta. I purchased the Beta earlier this summer to ultimately use for colder weather camping. It only weighs a couple ounces more than the original Gamma UL, and packs only slightly larger, so is certainly backpack worthy.

My thoughts on using the Beta for cold weather camping are these: You won't be needing the bugnet, and (most important to me) it is easier to arrange a combination of pad and quilt because the head end zipper access is not hindered by the bugnet. You can easily reach in to adjust things from the head end.

I love both. My biggest gripe with the Gamma UL is the poor access to the sleeve from the head end. When Luke announced version 2, I thought for sure that would be addressed. Maybe not a huge deal for most.

I have been using a Large Sea to Summit Insulated Ultralight air pad (1 lb 4 oz, R value 3.3) with both hammocks, thinking I may supplement it with a Costco down throw for colder weather.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Thanks for the info kghiker. I like the idea of being netless for non-bug season use. I hadn't thought much about the head end access. I use it to store stuff occasionally because there isn't much storage alternatives available. You will definitely need to augment the S2S pad. I tried the S2S Large Comfort Lite and I didn't think it insulated near as well as the Expeds so I pass it along.

Hammock
    WB RR, Amok, GammaUL
    Tarp
    SLD Custom, WB SF
    Insulation
    Asst'd
    Suspension
    Spiders on webbing
    Images
    OTD, I really appreciate all the information and experimentation that you've put forth on the 90 degree hammocks. My initial frustration with the head end sleeve access came from trying to insert down quilts into the sleeve, and spreading them out properly. Without the bugnet blocking your way, this is easy to accomplish from the head end on the Beta. I use a mesh ridge line organizer for storage.

Was your S2S Comfort Lite the insulated version? I have used my Insulated Ultralight only down into the upper 40's, but was very comfortable. I'm not sure how low I can go without supplementation. I really like its weight and small pack size, but I also have an Exped Downmat 5 Lite and a Big Agnes Double Stuffed Z pad (R value just under 6, light, but very bulky) so I have some options for colder weather.

I think that you would like the Beta. I'm half tempted to order another since they won't be around much longer.

kg

Hammock
    90 degree hammock 1.0
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    Costco DIY quilts
    Suspension
    What was included
    I went and got an Big Agnes Insulated air pad ultra. (Regular wide}. It is supposed to be ok to 15*f. Its warm out so I can't say anything about warmth but boy... Its a lot more comfortable than my Klymit v luxe. There is no bunching at my feet at all. Solo glad I got it! Question... Do you think I would need additional under insulation if it was in the 20s or 30s? Or would a really good sleeping bag be ok?

• + New Posts
  • Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast