Hammock
    HammockTent 90° 2.0
    Tarp
    SLD, Zpacks
    Insulation
    Exped, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs
    Thanks Rob, gives me some temp perspective even though everyone has different personal cold/warm limits.
    Jim Clark

Hammock
    90 degree Gamma Hammock
    Tarp
    Rab sil III
    Insulation
    exped synmat
    Quote Originally Posted by team FTB View Post
    Here is what i found on the website for the UL Synmat:

Packed Size 3.3 x 9 inches / 3.7 x 9.4 inches / 4 x 11 inches / 3.7 x 11 inches

So it looks like the packed size of a medium is 3.7 x 9.4 inches

My whole Warbonnet BB double layer hammock, Edge tarp, down under and over quilts (20f), suspension and tree straps packs down to 9 x 8.

As a comparison my Bibler bivy sack, NeoAir Xlite small pad(packs down to 3.3 x 9), and top quilt when packed is 6.5x 9.

Now obviously not proof positive but it seems to my simpleton mind the bulk of the pads, even minimal UL pads is more bulk than equivalent down quilts. I believe the UL backpackers also hold this view. Sadly i don't have a sack small enough LOL, to pack the UQ by itself and get a true apples to apples comparison.

I don't need a pad to go to ground as here in SEA there are plenty of tree's for the hammock luckily. The 90 degree hammock looks comfy, its loads lighter, and will most likely pack smaller than my Warbonnet Blackbird. Hence my interest.

I'm like a backpacker looking for the lightest and most packable load that allows me a comfortable sleep. However I'm on a dual sport motorcycle.

but have the same needs as a backpacker.

Thanks in advance for everyones input and contributions.
    Very cool travel pictures!
    I must admit that you managed to compress all the gear neatly.

I am not at home this week, so I can't show any pictures of the exped mat compared to for example the 90degree hammock.

Where is the picture taken of the motor on the raft?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC 10 met Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    The other important aspect of using an inflatable pad in a hammocktent, or other 90* hammock, is the pad adds rigidity to the hammock. I believe most find this and important factor for comfort. You do not get this with a down or synthetic UQ alone.

The compromise for a minimal kit then becomes using a shorty pad such as the Torso length Downmat 7 or the NeoAir Trekker in conjunction with a sit pad or clothing for the foot end. I have both the aforementioned shorter pads and the NeoAir is wider and noiser, but I find the Downmat is more comfortable and warmer.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    The other important aspect of using an inflatable pad in a hammocktent, or other 90* hammock, is the pad adds rigidity to the hammock.
    100% right

I know (for me personally) the Amok Draumr is twice as comfortable with a fully inflated synmat9 compared even to a synmat7, let alone a 5

Some folks seem to like it only partially inflated, so at least it's nice to have the option

Quote Originally Posted by GregfromHolland View Post
    Very cool travel pictures!
    I must admit that you managed to compress all the gear neatly.

I am not at home this week, so I can't show any pictures of the exped mat compared to for example the 90degree hammock.

Where is the picture taken of the motor on the raft?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC 10 met Tapatalk
    In Myanmar/Burma right on the border with Thailand. A bit dodgy there as there is rebel fighting in the area we were exploring. We crossed into Burma 37 times on that trip. out n the middle of nowhere so no crossings were legal. LOL.

The 90 degree weighs a lot lesss than a typical asym hammock and would be curious to see what it packs down inot measurements wise especially with you pad whenever you have the opportunity if possible.

Other boats are a little more confidence inspiring. Here in central Laos backing the bike down.

Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    The other important aspect of using an inflatable pad in a hammocktent, or other 90* hammock, is the pad adds rigidity to the hammock. I believe most find this and important factor for comfort. You do not get this with a down or synthetic UQ alone.

The compromise for a minimal kit then becomes using a shorty pad such as the Torso length Downmat 7 or the NeoAir Trekker in conjunction with a sit pad or clothing for the foot end. I have both the aforementioned shorter pads and the NeoAir is wider and noiser, but I find the Downmat is more comfortable and warmer.
    This was my fear.......that a pad is needed to provide a comfortable shape and no squeezing. i'd be happy to use one if it does not increase the packed volume of my Warbird Blackbird and quilts. I find it a tall order but would love to be proven wrong.

What are the advantages people are finding in this hammock over a typical Asymmetrical?

Hammock
    JustBill's Biggy Deluxe
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Zepp/LL Ghost Pepr
    Images
    A pad increases comfort for the 90*, but I found it pretty comfy without one. It's a different sort of animal, but is a really nice and light Hammock. I really like mine, which is an old style Gamma, but at 6'2", I'm just a bit too long for serious overnight comfort. I also have a lot of physical issues which play into that though, so your mileage may differ. For your use, it may work very well. You could fold up an UL blanket and shove it into the pad sleeve if in mild weather, which may not even be necessary, but would offer a nice bit of bottom insulation.

Even my non-UL Gamma is so light and compact, it's easy to carry. Combine that with the comfort and it's a winner. The integrated bug net is also very well designed. I would add that, you, venturing into jungles and such, might benefit from being able to hang between trees as close as 7'. Even in pine forests it can be tricky to find those perfect 16'+ distance trees, without a ton of thorn bushes between them. Good luck and thanks for the pics. I'm very jealous
    But for the grace of God, there, I go...

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch

The 90 degree weighs a lot lesss than a typical asym hammock and would be curious to see what it packs down inot measurements wise especially with you pad whenever you have the opportunity if possible.
    Team FTB! It's levain from ADV..
    both of my 90 degree hammocks are hung up for some backyard camping with my daughter. I can post a picture of pack size tomorrow, but the ver 2.0 is significantly smaller packed. It's truly tiny. You'll be impressed. I'm still on the fence, but I might even prefer the older gamma ul to the new ver 2, if you can find one..
    The nice thing about pads for this hammock is, unlike the amok, you can use any pad available to you since it isn't needed for structure, so find an UL pad that packs small enough and and your good.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimswms View Post
    The nice thing about pads for this hammock is, unlike the amok, you can use any pad available to you since it isn't needed for structure, so find an UL pad that packs small enough and and your good.

yup, they definitely are different animals

amok NEEDS the pad for structure, the 90 degree is moreso just for insulation

amok also has 50% more weight capacity

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    This was my fear.......that a pad is needed to provide a comfortable shape and no squeezing. i'd be happy to use one if it does not increase the packed volume of my Warbird Blackbird and quilts. I find it a tall order but would love to be proven wrong.

What are the advantages people are finding in this hammock over a typical Asymmetrical?
    An important point to clarify. It is not really a "squeezing" issue without a pad, because even without a pad I find there is no squeeze effect, unlike say, a WBRR. That is to say, even without a pad the hammocktent does not squeeze you in like other designs.

It is more an issue of the hammocktent collapsing with you as you turn on your side and curl up. It isn't necessarily a problem, but something to be aware of. Due to the collapsing head to foot is why most folks like to add some rigidity with a pad or a half pad. A torso length pad with some insulation from clothing or a sit pad works fine. Again, some folks give it a go without any pad.

• + New Posts
  • Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast