Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles

Ridgerunner / bridge hammock tarp closure

With so much Warbonnet Ridgerunner buy-in, I ended with a Ridgerunner as my first hammock. However, I'm not pleased with (1) tarp closure for rain/winter and (2) lack of structural ridgeline to hang a fan inside the bugnet for hot Central Texas summer nights.

Now, I've been considering a gathered end hammock for summer and winter (useful to hang with friends without gear). Not that I want to... [In retrospect,] Nor do I want to deal with tarp pole mods. I don't wish to do too many modifications due to time constraints and test sites (apartment living. will reluctantly do mods if I have money and space for more tools).

How do you all remedy these two issues?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by W8lkinUSA View Post
    With so much Warbonnet Ridgerunner buy-in, I ended with a Ridgerunner as my first hammock. However, I'm not pleased with (1) tarp closure for rain/winter and (2) lack of structural ridgeline to hang a fan inside the bugnet for hot Central Texas summer nights.

Now, I've been considering a gathered end hammock for summer and winter (useful to hang with friends without gear). Not that I want to... [In retrospect,] Nor do I want to deal with tarp pole mods. I don't wish to do too many modifications due to time constraints and test sites (apartment living. will reluctantly do mods if I have money and space for more tools).

What size tarp did you get? I have the RR and really have never worried about the tarp closing completely as the air is needed when it gets really cold to cut down on condensation and the rain has never made it's way to the hammock. One user reported that he tied his dog bones together about 5" or 6" down to allow the tarp to completely close.
    As far as the fan goes I use this and it lays on my chest and works as good as any fan can in extremely hot weather.

fan.png

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    What size tarp did you get?
    As far as the fan goes I use this and it lays on my chest and works as good as any fan can in extremely hot weather.
    I have the notorious 11' SuperFly.

I was introduced to the chest fan in August via a thread post, but have been sceptical due to airflow. Wish I would have asked this question before purchasing another portable fan..

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    long time bridge user and WBRR user. I almost never bring my tarp with doors now. it's just not as much of an issue as some would lead you to believe.... at least that's been my experience. Simply pay attention to wind direction when you setup. Only a couple of times has blowing snow been an issue, and blowing rain has never been an issue. If the blowing snow becomes an issue without doors just put up your bugnet. That's my two cents. I use a Big Daddy tarp from Wilderness Logics on 99% of my trips.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Bic View Post
    long time bridge user and WBRR user. I almost never bring my tarp with doors now. it's just not as much of an issue as some would lead you to believe.... at least that's been my experience. Simply pay attention to wind direction when you setup. Only a couple of times has blowing snow been an issue, and blowing rain has never been an issue. If the blowing snow becomes an issue without doors just put up your bugnet. That's my two cents. I use a Big Daddy tarp from Wilderness Logics on 99% of my trips.
    Abundant trees aren't always available down here. If they are, our dense forest still leave few hanging options. One of the the biggest reasons why I miss New England..

With colliding fronts from the Northwest and the Gulf of Mexico, variable wind and rain is a problem. High winds do show their wrath on occasion, especially in North Texas..

Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by W8lkinUSA View Post

If you don't mind bending a few rules...I have a solution...it's works great for me. https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...nd-RidgeRunner
    It also provides a ridgeline for ya.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/WBRR
    Tarp
    WBCB/WBSF
    Insulation
    LYNX/WOOKIE
    Suspension
    Dutch strap/buckle
    What said, or you can do a non structural RL and a 13' UGQ Winter Dream tarp. They are made specifically for a bridge.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    Klymit Luxe
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    I am with Bic on this. I have a DIY 12' Hex Silpoly tarp. I have been meaning to sew doors on it nearly from the time I made it. Two years and a number of downpours and winter trips later and I have never really found that I NEEDED the doors. There were those few times for peace of mind it would have been nice, but in the end I was fine without. I did just get a set of Grizzbeaks to try. Have only set it up once with my new RR. It fit and closed perfectly.

Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    What size tarp did you get? I have the RR and really have never worried about the tarp closing completely as the air is needed when it gets really cold to cut down on condensation and the rain has never made it's way to the hammock. One user reported that he tied his dog bones together about 5" or 6" down to allow the tarp to completely close.

fan.png
    What color fan you go with TS, the neon pink or neon green??? LOL I'm just kidding of course...I remember seeing that little fan and wishing I had one! And I wouldn't care what color it was! I still say we should've stayed at that cave entrance for the cool air! We suffered didn't we?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    I enjoy working for my heat...it seems to make my food taste better. -Richard Proenneke

2TiedUp YouTube Channel

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 END MODS
    Insulation
    Lynx /FlightJacket
    Suspension
    nylon straps
    Quote Originally Posted by southernfire97 View Post
    What said, or you can do a non structural RL and a 13' UGQ Winter Dream tarp. They are made specifically for a bridge.

My mrs. was talking last night about how my 13' winter dream was not only a couple feet longer than her superfly, but also 6 or 8 inches TALLER, on each side. She said that's what she wants for a bit more privacy.
    When you snap up those little snaps on the end, that Ridgerunner is really neatly enclosed, in there...

"Mahwedge...
    A bwessed awangement...
    A dweam within a dweam..."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast