Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cataloochee Valley, GSMNP, NC

I wound up working on Labor Day, so last weekend I got my Monday off and the family and I decided to car camp at the Cataloochee Campground in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I had never been there, despite spending a lot of time hiking and kayaking in the next valley over on Big Creek, but has been on my hit list for a while due to the reintroduced elk herd in the valley. The last Eastern elk in NC was killed in the late 1700's and was completely extinct by the early 1800's. In 2001, the Great Elk Experiment started with ~50-60 Manitoban elk which are now a thriving herd of ~160 and have spread beyond Cataloochee. There are also some historical structures such as houses, barns, a school, and a chapel to see.

First, an obligatory hammock picture. The sites at the campground are outstanding for hammocking, but bring long straps as some of the trees are quite large (24"+). I don't think there are any sites where you couldn't hang multiple hammocks. I set up my hammock (which my daughter commandeered for a rest), and the "princess palace" for my wife and girls.

Cataloochee Creek flows right beside some of the sites and offered a welcome diversion for my girls, complete with a silly rock cairn.

After getting established we went out exploring and found the Palmer Chapel, a well-preserved/restored Methodist chapel. As a Presbyterian I felt quite at home, but my Catholic wife and girls found it a bit ascetic and unadorned...

We visited the Beech Grove schoolhouse which my girls thought was hilarious (two rooms, two chalkboards, no technology). In the back of the schoolhouse I opened the backdoor and was greeted by...a bull elk! We were visiting during the rut and he obliged us with a bugle. We stayed safely inside the schoolhouse - the NPS has a lot of issues with visitors interacting with the elk or getting to close to them and habituating them to people which is dangerous for everyone.

We then visited the Caldwell house and barn. Here is a shot from the front yard of the house towards the barn and elk meadow.

As the sun set and dozens of cars were busily photographing elk in the meadows, I took the opportunity to photograph the meadow itself which is gorgeous and properly maintained by the elk themselves.

On Sunday we got up and decided to hike the Boogerman Loop which is just beside the campground. At 6-7 miles I knew that my girls wouldn't make it, so we just did an in-and-out of 5 miles total, only casualties being a yellowjacket bite and getting thoroughly soaked. The trail follows the beautiful Caldwell Fork for much of the loop with many footbridges built by the NPS.

After lunch we went elk scoping again and were rewarded by a young-ish bull (noted due to the lack of a collar) who was nonetheless magnificent.

On Monday we got up and packed up and went looking for elk one more time despite it being mid-morning. Alas, the elk had already left the heat of the meadows (72F) but my oldest daughter spotted this guy! He was right beside the schoolhouse we had visited on Saturday where we had seen the bugling elk.

In the same meadow we also found a flock of turkeys and I felt compelled to at least get a snapshot of this tom.

We ended our weekend at the steel bridge over Cataloochee Creek where it was 10F cooler than anywhere else, exactly as a ranger told us would be. I waded out into the creek to get this shot and ponder why I had not brought any fishing gear.

We then headed to Asheville en route to Raleigh where I've made a recent tradition of grabbing a burger at Asheville Brewing Company after trips to the mountains. (1/4lb Nacho Libre w/Fire Escape ESB is the best combination)

If you're looking for a restful car camping hammock experience with plenty of wildlife and woodland opportunities, I highly recommend Cataloochee.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    DH Sparrow/WB RR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Msc
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetles
    Great report. There are some great trees on that boogerman loop!

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for taking us along with you and sharing the sites. You have a good eye for photo ops. I bet your kids had a blast catching sight of all of the animals. I have hit most of those areas in previous trips and would like to make the rounds again.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Great pics and the trip sounds like you had a good time. I've got this on my places to visit, this moves it up the list.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Great trip and wildlife pix. As an old keyboard cowboy I gotta go to a place called boogerman loop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft wide
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Hammeck Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Wow. Excellent trip and a good one for the memory banks. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    McCat Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HG Incubator(s)
    Suspension
    Lines
    Great job capturing a gorgeous place! Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by Gravitythief76 View Post
    Great report. There are some great trees on that boogerman loop!
    Really impressive - apparently Palmer was somewhat of an early conservationist and didn't allow his property to be logged. It's very cathedral-esque in places.

Quote Originally Posted by STinGa View Post
    Thanks for taking us along with you and sharing the sites. You have a good eye for photo ops. I bet your kids had a blast catching sight of all of the animals. I have hit most of those areas in previous trips and would like to make the rounds again.
    Thanks, I started carrying micro four-thirds cameras a few years ago to start preserving my memories a little better (Panasonic G3, and now an Olympus E-M10). This format is much lighter and portable than a full DSLR, but still has many of the advantages in terms of interchangeable lenses and adjustable settings.

Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Great pics and the trip sounds like you had a good time. I've got this on my places to visit, this moves it up the list.
    Thanks! One day I'll graduate to TallPaul-style video reports. Your Big Creek Loop report convinced me to go last April.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Great trip and wildlife pix. As an old keyboard cowboy I gotta go to a place called boogerman loop!

Thanks - the loop goes back to the old Robert Palmer homestead. Apparently, when he was a boy in school and was asked what he wanted to be when he grew up he answered "The Boogerman" and it became his lifelong nickname.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Wow. Excellent trip and a good one for the memory banks. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks - highly recommended. I think that the elk rut (now until early/mid-October) is probably the most interesting time to go in terms of wildlife action. Especially if you want to have to explain to your small children why bull elks lick the cows' butts.

Quote Originally Posted by PMan View Post
    Great job capturing a gorgeous place! Thanks for posting!
    Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon sil 5300
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Nice trip and pics! Also, the Lorax looked right at home hanging from your hammock suspension.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast