Hammock
    Hennessy
    Suspension
    Stock Hennessy

SHT: Temperance River SP to Cascade River SP

Spent Thurs-Sunday hiking 35 miles of the Superior Hiking Trail this weekend. Packweight including food was 23lbs - the lightest I've ever gotten it, and it was magical.
    I caught a ride from a woman named Harriet Quarles who runs a shuttle for the northern half of the trail and as soon as I mentioned a hammock she asked if I knew Shug . Then she told me stories about him until we got to Temperance River SP. Shug - if you read this, no worries, the ride was only 20 minutes or so.
    I hiked in 6.5miles Thursday afternoon, past Carlton Peak
    20161013_153803 (1).jpg 20161013_160657.jpg
    Spent the night at Springdale Creek Campsite. First use of the Costco UQ worked great, I got it on and stayed put where it should have been! It got down to 36deg that night. With my mummy bag as a top quilt and a pad I slept real warm, didn't wake until 9am. I even got to keep the tarp off that night and sleep under the full moon. I opted to skip the pad the next couple nights because I was tired of constantly jockying around trying to get it where I needed it.
    20161014_075929.jpg

Friday was a 10 mile plan, which became 13 miles once I added on a loop around Leveaux Moutain and the spur to the Gondola at Lutsen. By the time I got there, I almost debated pulling a Bear Grylls and taking the gondola to the bottom, eating a nice hot meal and taking the short route to Mystery Mountain Campsite...but opted to hike back to the trail and continue on.
    20161014_144735 (1).jpg

Saturday was a 12.2 mile slog through mud. mud everywhere. By far the worst section of trail I've ever had the pleasure of hiking. There were maybe 2 or 3 miles that weren't complete much. Spent Saturday night in a cedar grove which was incredible. I shared the site with two other solo hikers, one of whom shot a grouse on the way in with his recurve bow. He tried it on a whim, got one, and split the breast with us and it was fantastic. Good company and a nice campfire BS session at the end of a crummy wet, muddy day where I got to the point of questioning my decisions in life.
    Sunday morning was a beautiful 6 mile hike to Cascade River State Park to the car, followed a nice ridgeline, minimal mud, some great scenery and a few good views as well. Quite a pleasant end to the hike.

20161014_112158.jpg 20161014_131804.jpg 20161013_160041.jpg
    Apparently my phone had issues saving images, because I have 31 thumbnails that only contain a black exclamation point =( sigh, perhaps someday I will go back that way, but ugh the mud. Saturday had some of the best shots, and all are gone.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Gouse with a bow!?!?! Man, I unload a semi-automatic 20ga and still come up empty half the time.

I recognize the Dromite; I take mine 9/10 times.

Looks like a great trip. Great time to be out in the woods!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Sounds like a good trip other than the mud. That can take a toll on you if you have to put in very many miles. Thanks for sharing and bummer on the missing pics.

Hammock
    DIY 11' DL Robic XL 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter Sil
    Insulation
    DIY UQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Good trip. I still need to cross this stretch off of my list for the SHT.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Traveler xl
    Tarp
    DIY membrane 4000
    Insulation
    Bandit, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Sounds like a great trip. The SHT is beautiful, especially this time of year.

Hammock
    Blackbird Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountain Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Ridgereape
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Sounds like a good trip. I saw you on the trail on your second day. I was headed towards Springdale Creek and you gave me the tip that the sign was missing. I posted a video. I have 3 COSTCO quilts at home that I plan to convert to an under quilt and atop quilt. Which plans did you use? I took some of the seems out. I see you left them all in. It might be a little warmer if you remove some. I removed every other row so the squares are twice as big. Still keeps the down in place and gives more loft. Muddiest and worst area of the SHT I have done so far is between Casacade River Campsite and the Pincussion trail head. Very muddy, over grown and boring.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyL View Post
    Very muddy, over grown and boring.
    Sounds like to found a wormhole and entered Indiana.

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Suspension
    Stock Hennessy
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyL View Post
    Sounds like a good trip. I saw you on the trail on your second day. I was headed towards Springdale Creek and you gave me the tip that the sign was missing. I posted a video. I have 3 COSTCO quilts at home that I plan to convert to an under quilt and atop quilt. Which plans did you use? I took some of the seems out. I see you left them all in. It might be a little warmer if you remove some. I removed every other row so the squares are twice as big. Still keeps the down in place and gives more loft. Muddiest and worst area of the SHT I have done so far is between Casacade River Campsite and the Pincussion trail head. Very muddy, over grown and boring.
    Small world! Was the sign in fact missing, or was I blind? I'll check your video. I was going to make one, but since my SD card crapped out I lost most of my photos and footage. Next time I suppose.

I used SargeVinings no-sew version. It was the simplest one I could find. I used KamSnaps and made channels for the cords with the snaps. I left it fully quilted and I was very comfortable. I may look into pulling one direction of stitching in the future, but it worked!

• + New Posts