XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    I opted for drawstring on my zero degree burrow.

Should have gone footbox.

Lived outside for an entire winter using a hammock.

Should have gone footbox.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    DIY 12ft Hyper D 1.6
    Tarp
    HG The Quest
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit and Zep
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Images
    Wow, thanks for so many perspectives. This is the first time I have posted a thread and was honestly kinda intimidated by the idea, but now I feel silly for that.

Hammock
    WB Traveler xl
    Tarp
    DIY membrane 4000
    Insulation
    Bandit, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Sewn all the way. I have never used a top quilt without a formed footbox in the back country. The only time I used one in flat quilt mode was at home lounging on the couch, and that was only a couple of times.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    I have a drawstring on my 20 degree TQ, and it does provide a draft, especially when it is really cold out (like 25 degrees or below). I am going to stuff a down something or other in the hole this year. I do like that it opens when airing or drying it out, and it is comfortable open when it is upper 30's up to 50. If I had to do it again, I would get the sewn in one.

Hammock
    DIY 12ft Hyper D 1.6
    Tarp
    HG The Quest
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit and Zep
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Images
    I found a great top quilt I love in stock at enlightened equipment. If I had done a "made to order", I think I would have gotten the sown footbox, I was even considering a burrow with an overstuffed footbox. But, I had a gift card to enlightened and being from Minnesota I like supporting local, plus I have two other quilts from them I love. So, when a quilt in a fabric color I loved, a fabric they used in a limited edition line and I lost out on getting one of (I even emailed them to make sure there would not be more and they said no), came up during their garage sale in the right length, width and temp rating I had to get it (I know it's just a color, but I'm willing to own I'm super picky about color if given a choice). It did have the zippered footbox though, so I guess I will be stuffing a sock in the hole on cold nights! Someday, when I can actually thrown down that much money again, I will get a 0 degree quilt with a closed footbox. I really can't see any reason that would be relevant to my really to need a 0 degree to have the ability to open at the bottom. Especially living in Minnesota! Thanks again everyone for the input and advice!

Hammock
    Chameleon, Hammeck Envy-S, Amok,
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    CBs or whoopies
    Glad you found one you like in the garage sale. Sewn or drawstring, I am sure you will like it. EE makes a great TQ. Personally, I find most sewn foot boxes too constrictive. However, a very shallow sewn foot box would be ideal for me. I tend to keep my snap and zippered quilts mostly undone.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to use it in a fruit salad.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    I too have tried both and prefer sewn, even for summer use... I agree with Slvr on this, not much point in having an option to vent when it usually doesn't vent enough to be useful. I get too hot, I take both my feet out, or just one foot, or I sleep on top... And when I WANT my feet in, what I don't want is a draft, or cold snap heads against my skin. That said, what I did find useful about the drawstring and snap footbox is that I could snap it around the foot of my hammock in deep heat of summer and it would always be there. I could just fold it up down there at the foot and snap the neck snap around it all and if I got chilly, I didn't have to UN pack it, or suffer being a bit too warm "just in case"... Just reach down unsnap it and pull it up over me

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Pretty much with SS on this except - I have the foot ends of my TQs sewn vertically. My feet extend up and down that is the shape I want down there. Tall enough for my size 13s when crossed. Wide enough for my feet side-by-side without a lot of vacant space for my feet to keep warm. I have this on my 60 deg DIY TQ. My 40 deg DIY TQ. My 30 deg UGQ TQ. And on my 10 deg DIY TQ. All these quilts are tapered, ~50" at the top and ~40" at the bottom. The 10 deg quilt has an extra chamber sewn in the end to add insulation between my feet and the sewn end. Like stated above, I can always stick an arm or a leg out the side if too warm.

Hint: add a small sewn loop of grossgrain inside the foot of the quilt at the top of the vertical seam. Easy to use a mini carabiner to keep a hot water bottle in your foot area and suspended between your feet. Won't fall out while you take a P break!

The real issue IMHO is how far the quilt should be sewn/snapped/tied closed along the bottom - under my legs. Because I use a Warbonnet Yeti 3 season down to 20 deg, I want the quilt closed up to just above my knees in temps below about 35 deg. No cold spots with that combo.

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape
    I like the flexibility a quilt with snaps and drawstrings gives you for the versatility. You can use it as a top quilt or wrap up with it in the morning sitting in your Helinox chair with a cup of coffee. With that said, the single biggest complaint I read on HF about top insulation is cold air entering through the hole in the foot box with a drawstring. With that said, get a sewn box for 20 degree and below. If you want a down snuggle wrap in the morning pack a Costco throw as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12