DIY 12ft Hyper D 1.6
    Tarp
    HG The Quest
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit and Zep
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Images

Sown footbox or zippered drawstring on 20 degree quilts?

Okay, I'm about ready to take the plunge and order a 20 degree top quilt from enlightened equipment cause my 40 degree one is not gonna cut Minnesota fall weather. My 40 degree one has the drawstring and zipper, which is nice in the summer to vent by opening the drawstring some, but even in summer I don't tend to unzip the zipper, I just do the one foot in, one foot out thing when I get hot. I'm leaning towards getting the revaluation because of the versatility but I have been looking at the enigma some and thinking about how much a quilt meant for cold would really be unzipped or vented. So I'm asking you all, how much do you open up the footbox on your 20 degree quilts? How many, if any, wish they had gotten a sown shut footbox but didn't because the idea of versatility is seems good? Does that little hole at the end that never really gets fully closed bug people when the weather is colder or does sticking a sock in work fine? I would love to hear people's thoughts, ideas and experiences!

Your timing is great Coldcityely. I too have been undecided about the 'style' of TQ to get. Since quilts are $$$, I have been experimenting using sheets and fleece blankets to try to figure out which I prefer before spending $$. With the group here you will get the best info. with Shug being in your neighborhood I sure hope he chimes in. Great crowd of folks here and more than willing to help. Personally I'm not a fan of zippers.

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    After using a T.Q with snaps and a draw string for a year I recently got one , from Cave Creek, with the sown foot box and couldn't love it more. No more snaps or Velcro coming undone and no more toe or foot sticking through that little opening that won't close. As for myself I will never own any quilt without the sown foot box.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Seeing you live in Minneapolis, I would definitely go with a sewn foot box. And throw in a few extra ounces of stuffing.

Carl

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I have never needed a drawstring footbox. I went that way at first (and my current go-to quilt has it) but it is not needed for me. I found my sewn footbox quilts never left me wishing it could open up in use.

If warm, I stick my leg out for a bit.

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    SWMBO and I have 20* quilts with snaps and drawstrings. I like the ability to open it up and use it around camp in the cold mornings as an extra layer. As far as sleeping is concerned, I've not used it in any configuration other than all snaps snapped and drawcord cinched tight. In warmer as well as colder weather. Wife, on the other hand, only uses one or two snaps because she flails her feet most of the night. The cinch mostly just keeps the end of the quilt at her feet. I don't think she would be ok with a sewn footbox unless it was extra generous. Just my $.02.

Cheers,
    the Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    I think a lot of it comes down to how you expect to use it, and what type of sleeper you are.

For instance, if you think a majority of the time when you use it temps will be in the 40s or higher, I would consider going for the zip and cinch footbox. That will make venting much easier and more comfortable. sticking a whole leg outside the quilt works, but for me isn't quite as comfy as opening up the footbox. You will also be able to completely undo the footbox and use it as a blanket if things are really warm.

Also, if being too warm makes it hard for you to sleep, a zip/cinch footbox is nice. Thats how I am. If I am too warm, it's impossible to go to sleep. For instance, on recent bikepacking trip on Kokopelli trail, I was super grateful for my zip/cinch quilt. Even my 40* synthetic quilt was too warm for 2/3 nights, so I used just as a blanket on all except the last night when we were high in the La Sal mountains.

On nights when I am close to the limit of my topquilt, I do just toss my extra socks in the footbox to plug the hole. Works great right to the limit of my quilt, in my experience.

However, if you are more concerned about getting maximum warmth, go for sewn. It will be appreciably warmer on your feet. Not to mention lighter and simpler.

Basically, zip/cinch will give you the widest range of comfort, sewn will be warmest.

Godspeed!

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    20 degrees is what I consider the reasonable and logical cut point for transitioning to a sewn footbox from a drawcord one. I don't use a 20 degree quilt unless it's going to go below the freezing mark anyway, and if it does, I'm unlikely to be venting my feet much, so that's why my DIY 20 is my only quilt with a sewn footbox. (It's too heavy to flop open as a casual blanket anyway...)

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    20 degree for me is where I want a hot foot box with no venting what so ever. I have cold feet and at these temps want all the warmth I can get. I even had George put in the new "Insulated Hot Box with LocknLoad footwarmer" pocket in my new 0 degree top quilt.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    When I was buying my first topquilt, Adam at HG asked me if I wanted a sewn or drawstring footbox. I couldn't even fathom why I would want a drawstring footbox, and still can't. If my feet are too hot, I'll take them out of the footbox and vent that way.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast