Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventureMyk View Post
    I am waiting for you to quantify that statement with supporting facts as I am 2 weeks from ordering my underquilt and have the Incubator 20 as my top choice.

While you are at it, how does one 'ethically' rip feathers from a bird? Can you ethically rip your fingernails out? How about all your hair? I'm trying to figure out the ethical part of this.

Supporting statements of why the newest shiny bit you waited 8 weeks for suddenly puts a top competitor to shame is welcome, or is it that it is simply the newest and after waiting 8 weeks it *better* be awesome?
    I would recommend taking this thread with a massive grain of salt. OP is clearly fanboying.

I was in the same place you are with UQ's earlier this year and ended up going with the HG Incubator Custom 10 degree because I sleep like an icicle. I haven't taken it near its limit yet, but the quality of construction is very, very good. I have owned EE, HG, LL, and WL quilts before and all are very well made. My current cold weather set is the HG UQ and LL Ghost Pepper TQ.

The reasons I chose the HG over the EE UQ are the anatomical shaping, draft collars, dual suspension, and extra length (at 6', I was concerned 75" might not be true top of head to bottom of feet coverage).

The reason I chose the LL or HG TQ over the EE is the superior mummy style insulated footbox vs the flat seamed Enigma (IMO, if you really want to go under mid 30's, sewn footbox is essential). The reason I chose the LL over the HG were the width (52" was perfect--50 is a little too narrow, 55 a little too wide) and baffle design.

My next quilt purchase is likely to be a HG Phoenix 40+1 UQ, selected because I like my incubator, and the pricing is unbeatable. I am confident that all of the above could source you an excellent quality partial length UQ for moderate temps.

(BTW, they recommend making a 10 degree quilt by adding 2-3 oz of overstuff to the Incubator 20 and then including in the order comments a request to expand the baffles to 10 degree. The quilt came marked with 10* and Custom tags instead of the regular 20* tag)

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape
    It's widely accepted that each cottage vendor that is popular on here are all top notch quality. They all have great customer service. There are only minor differences between one vendor to the next. Ultimately, it's down stuffed into nylon and it'll keep you warm. To say that one is better than the other can only be a matter of opinion on design or minute differences in additional features.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar Straps
    All the vendors mentioned are great and have a quilt for you. Things like karo baffles, chevron baffles, anatomical shapes, mummy-style footbox, draft collars, etc ... are not make it or break it features for me. I'd like to be wrong. If there is testing and reviews where a majority say one feature is better than another, I want to see it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp/Door
    Insulation
    Winter Wooki
    Suspension
    KevlarBecketHitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi Tate View Post
    So which do you think is better and why? Have you used your EE Revs yet? Have you used both EE Revs and HG Incubators down to their lowest temp ratings? just curious.

I own both, and I have taken both down below their temp ratings.

Just because a company doesn't list their down source on their website, Doesn't mean they are "life plucking down from China and Eastern Europe", as you are insinuating.
    There is no science behind why I think EE is better than HG. Is just their attention to detail. The materials used by EE felt way better. They even give you a storage sack. HG did not. They also gave me extra strap. Don't get me wrong, HG make a great incubator.

Any responsible and ethical company in the USA should list where their down come from. If they don't, I have a right to be suspicious because it's such a simple thing to do.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp/Door
    Insulation
    Winter Wooki
    Suspension
    KevlarBecketHitch
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieS View Post
    I've gone to Arkansas a couple of times to hunt ducks and geese. The guides I hunted with try to steer you to the "duck pluckers" to get your birds plucked. They have some pretty neat setups with the rotary pluckers, vacuum and separators. I normally breast birds out, but down there, it's a service offered, folks depend on hunting money for their livelihood, and the down is harvested from birds that, quite frankly, are going to be harvested anyway. It's good to harvest the down and feathers, too. That's ethical to me.

---Charlie
    Yes. It is ethical when the birds are dead before plucking.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp/Door
    Insulation
    Winter Wooki
    Suspension
    KevlarBecketHitch
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventureMyk View Post
    I am waiting for you to quantify that statement with supporting facts as I am 2 weeks from ordering my underquilt and have the Incubator 20 as my top choice.

While you are at it, how does one 'ethically' rip feathers from a bird? Can you ethically rip your fingernails out? How about all your hair? I'm trying to figure out the ethical part of this.

Supporting statements of why the newest shiny bit you waited 8 weeks for suddenly puts a top competitor to shame is welcome, or is it that it is simply the newest and after waiting 8 weeks it *better* be awesome?
    I was not trying to shame any company. I just made an observation as a consumer and that is all. I respect that others might not reach the same conclusion though.

For me, "ethical" down are down that are plucked after the bird is dead (a byproduct of food). The most "ethical" down gathering is just collecting down from their nests. However, this type of down is extremely expensive and it's way out of my budget (http://www.duxiana.com/news/feather-...th-eider-down/). Unethical plucking is plucking of live animals. See video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnnkHgyqARQ

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vuanguyen View Post
    I was not trying to shame any company. I just made an observation as a consumer and that is all. I respect that others might not reach the same conclusion though.

For me, "ethical" down are down that are plucked after the bird is dead (a byproduct of food). The most "ethical" down gathering is just collecting down from their nests. However, this type of down is extremely expensive and it's way out of my budget (http://www.duxiana.com/news/feather-...th-eider-down/). Unethical plucking is plucking of live animals. See video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnnkHgyqARQ
    This really is a none issue in the industry, most vendor purchase from one of three sources. These three sources all are major companies that would not want to weather the storm of public opinion with a Ethics issue. UGQ, HG, LL, JRB, MAMW, WL, ZP, EE, KatG, all purchase from one of these three sources.

http://responsibledown.org/
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    The unethical down practices are something DIY'er need to be aware of as they purchase bulk down from unverified sources on Aliexpress, Ebay, etc.... Vendors need verifiable sources and fill power that is certified by IDFL, only established down suppliers can provide both of those pieces of information.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

To the OP: Is this thread about your first impression of the EE Rev TQ or is it about down? You've already created another thread discussing this issue here:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ally-happening

As a EE Revelation (20 and 40 degree) and an EE Enigma 0 degree, I can honestly say my 1st, 2nd and 3rd impression of Tim's products is a positive one. The quality is excellent, they've all performed well below the rated temperature. Build time was about standard (4-8 weeks for mine), which is about par for the course for cottage vendors. Enjoy your new quilt!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast