Hammock
    WBBB
    Insulation
    UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Homemade

Been Away For A Few years, Need a Market Update

The last tarp I owned was a MacCat Deluxe in Spinn material. My hammock is a Warbonnet BB 1.7 regular size and I prefer doors for bad weather. Can someone give me a rundown of the current tarp makers out there, I'm interested in spinn tarps, cuben tarps and silnylon.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ike1985 View Post
    The last tarp I owned was a MacCat Deluxe in Spinn material. My hammock is a Warbonnet BB 1.7 regular size and I prefer doors for bad weather. Can someone give me a rundown of the current tarp makers out there, I'm interested in spinn tarps, cuben tarps and silnylon.

Spinn tarps are no longer made as the fabric can't be sourced. In the last year or so silicone/polyurethane coated polyester fabrics have made up for that. One is called SilPoly from Ripstop By The Roll and the other is Xenon from MakeYourGear.com (a Dutchware sister company).

As for tarp makers, all of the big hammock vendors make tarps with doors. Some offerings you may consider are the SuperFly (Warbonnet), WinterDream (UGQ Outdoor Equipment), WinterHaven (Simply Light Designs), Old Man Winter (Wilderness Logics), Winter Palace (cuben fabric from Hammock Gear). I am sure I am forgetting a few others, but search the site here and you will find what you are after.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images

You should check out the newer SilPoly tarps as they do not soak up water and do not stretch. I have the Winter Haven from SimplyLightDesgns and love it. From order to door step was 3 days.
    http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/213

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    Good rundown Brian.

I am still hanging with my HG Standard with doors which has been fine for 3-seasons in the southeast US, but have often thought of a Winter Palace for more wind protection as I typically hang below the lower edge of the tarp. I have a large polysil tarp that is light (not cuben light, but still light) and weather tight. The poly doesn't stretch like the silnylon so staking it out is more like cuben.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    WBBB
    Insulation
    UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Homemade
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    You should check out the newer SilPoly tarps as they do not soak up water and do not stretch. I have the Winter Haven from SimplyLightDesgns and love it. From order to door step was 3 days.
    http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/213
    What's the difference between the membrane silpoly and the regular silpoly on the site? Do i need to use the stretchy tensioner thingy's on my guylines for this silpoly material?

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    What's the difference between the membrane silpoly and the regular silpoly on the site? Do i need to use the stretchy tensioner thingy's on my guylines for this silpoly material?
    The original reason for the tarp tensioners was to mitigate the inherent stretch in silnylon tarps and to also create some give in the guy line so if there was a large wind storm or someone tripped over your guy line, there would be a failure point in the system that would break before the tarp would. Since there is minimal stretch in the polyester based fabrics, having some shock cord loops as part of the guy line system is beneficial. Alternatively, one could use a much lower breaking strength guy line instead of zing-it/lash-it and achieve the same result.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

• + New Posts