Hammock
    Experimental Hammocks

Lightweight Tentsile Suspension

Hey All,

Does anyone have lightweight tetnsile suspensions? The setup that comes with them includes three ratchets and webbing. Each one is only like 20ft and sometimes we need it longer.

Just ordered some 3/16 AmSteel and planning on making some extra long whoopie slings for at least 2 sides. Then using only one ratchet to tighten the bad boy up. Will update on how this works.

If you any questions or suggestions let me know.

Carter

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    What is your ultimate goal by making it lighter? Even if you could do away with a couple straps it's still going to be rather heavy for backpacking. Absolutely love my Tentsile Connect but wouldn't hike very far with it.

My guess is that Whoopieslings not work. If you own a Tentsile then you already know that the straps are under some fairly serious tension. And you'll still need to wrap a wide strap around the tree to keep the Amsteel from cutting into the tree.

As for the bury in the Whoopieslings, I look forward to learning if they hold without slipping. Seems to me they won't but I could be wrong.

The straps that come with the Tentsile are rated at 10,000 or 12,000 pounds. I know Amsteel is strong but is it that strong?

The majority of the Tentsile weight comes from the ratchets. The company does offer a slightly lighter weight alternative.

Good luck, be careful and keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Looks like 3/16 Amsteel is rated for 4900lbs. I don't know how that will measure up. Whoopie slings grip harder the more you pull so I doubt slipping will be a problem. Hopefully this experiment will be successful. Trying to take up all the slack with a ratchet from one point might be troublesome but who knows.

If you really wanted to get rid of the ratchets I'm sure you could rig up something lighter with some block and tackle setup along with some extra amsteel. I'm not sure how much you'd actually save though. I've seen guys rig up a "slack line" in camp at Hang Con using a variety of climbing hardware so I don't think getting tension will be much of a problem.
    Last edited by zukiguy; 10-14-2016 at 21:12.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    "Lightweight" Tentsile Suspension sounds like a contradiction in terms. The website says you can drop the weight from "Holy Cow this is heavy" 20 lbs." to a more manageable "Holy Cow this is heavy" 14 lbs. if you lose a couple of ratchets.

http://www.tentsile.com/collections/...gray-tree-tent

Weight: 9kg/ 20lbs (once experienced, you can save up to 2.kg / 6lbs by dropping 2 ratchets from your system)
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    It is most definitely a vehicle camping shelter and does not/could not claim to be for backpacking. As Surfr states, light and Tentsile are a contradiction in terms.

That said, it is a remarkable piece of kit for its intended purpose and it has some very serious "cool factor." My son and I have logged seven nights in it and I have five more solo since receiving it as a gift for Father's Day. We have found it to be very comfortable, stable and roomy. We typically pitch it between four and six feet high which is high enough to all but eliminate that damp feeling near the ground. Last weekend I camped two nights in mid 30 degree overnight temps. Had my windshield reflector on the floor with a self inflating mat over it and stayed toasty in my 20 degree bag....actually had to open the bag up.

I know it's not exactly a hammock (I sleep in a WL Night Owl most nights at home and in a Dutch 11' netless when I hike) but for what it is, it's quite awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    90 Degree Gamma UL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Out of curiousity, I googled around for a lightweight way to tension slacklines, and it looks like the slackline folks have a 3 carabiner pulley system that should get rid of the weight of those 3 ratchets:
    http://www.nwslackline.org/96/howto-...tive-slackline

That said, all the webbing is pretty heavy by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    "Lightweight" Tentsile Suspension sounds like a contradiction in terms. The website says you can drop the weight from "Holy Cow this is heavy" 20 lbs." to a more manageable "Holy Cow this is heavy" 14 lbs. if you lose a couple of ratchets.

http://www.tentsile.com/collections/...gray-tree-tent

Weight: 9kg/ 20lbs (once experienced, you can save up to 2.kg / 6lbs by dropping 2 ratchets from your system)

• + New Posts