Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties

Question Decided on Winter Dream 11' or 12' ??? - w/ End Pole Mod w/ 11ft Hammock

I've pretty much decided on the UGQ Winter Dream w/ full End Pole Mod so I can use the tarp in free standing porch mode and have additional room for this 6'3 hammock'r.

My hammock is a 11ft Dutch

My current tarp is Noah 12.

Since this tarp will have doors and be easier to close out wind driven rain than the Noah 12, I'm considering the 11ft version.

Yet..... since most of my use is via canoe and virtually no backpacking, should I just get the 12' for additional room (both length & height since the 12ft on average might be hung a little higher to clear the hammock suspension.

I "think" I'll be ordering the Sil/PU Poly vs the Sil/PU Nylon for the non-water absorbing properties, but also read about the increased resistance to tears from the sil/nylon, so not fully decided there either.

I fully realize there is no perfect answer, but welcome opinions and experiences!

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    I too use an 11' hammock. I made my tarp 12'. Since you're already talking about a winter tarp (extra weight), the extra ounce or so of weight isn't that big of a burden for the extra space. Definitely go with the poly. It has significantly less stretch in it in addition to the points you already stated.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    I have allways had an 11 ft tarp until recently i picked up a 12 footer and i dont think i'll ever go back to an 11 footer again, you would be amazed at how much differance the extra foot seems to make.
    Nice and roomy and no chance of rain getting to me again.
    I would go Poly and 12 foot long imo!!

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Yeah, the room under my 12 footer is great, but occasionally I do have an issue not fitting where I'd rather hang, and settling for an alternative - typically giving up what would otherwise be a perfect set of trees for a set typically much further apart than I would prefer. When I bought the tarp, it didn't have doors and I was very pleased with the extra length. Since I had doors put on it - I don't find that the extra length and the room created on the ends is all that necessary.

Not a huge issue, and can be minor enough to make the extra room a net gain for those who desire that.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC and WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly and WD 13
    Insulation
    JRB HG AHE Lynx
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Us5Camp View Post
    I've pretty much decided on the UGQ Winter Dream w/ full End Pole Mod so I can use the tarp in free standing porch mode and have additional room for this 6'3 hammock'r.

My hammock is a 11ft Dutch

My current tarp is Noah 12.

Since this tarp will have doors and be easier to close out wind driven rain than the Noah 12, I'm considering the 11ft version.

Yet..... since most of my use is via canoe and virtually no backpacking, should I just get the 12' for additional room (both length & height since the 12ft on average might be hung a little higher to clear the hammock suspension.

I "think" I'll be ordering the Sil/PU Poly vs the Sil/PU Nylon for the non-water absorbing properties, but also read about the increased resistance to tears from the sil/nylon, so not fully decided there either.

I fully realize there is no perfect answer, but welcome opinions and experiences!
    I'm about to pull the trigger on the same tarp but 13' to accommodate me and my WBRR.....I've had a little concern after reading about site selection but I've noticed I get an optimal hang with the RR with trees 18-20 feet apart so don't think it will be an issue anyway. I'll use the superfly for my xlc

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Now if I could just pull the trigger on 11' vs 12' we could get this thing on order !!!!

My Noah 12' measures 11ft 6in (I think) when i A frame mode and wouldn't want it smaller, but as it's square basically, the WD should actually be longer at the outer edges due to the doors.
    I am split right down the middle on which way to go..

On one hand w/ this design specific to hammock, the 11ft w/ doors should be adequate and will work, it will work !! It will fit in more places. It will allow the tarp to be hung lower to the hammock when needed.

On the other hand... I'm 6'3" and like my room, like to have a camp chair with me under the tarp and like us all... like my space !!

Either way, I'll be ordering Sil/PU Poly w/ the Internal End Pole Mod to be able to create more room and have a hiking-pole-less porch mode in low wind conditions!

I know there's no right or wrong decision... just wish I could see both or a super fly or something other than my Noah 12 to compare it to.

Hammock
    Dream Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Enlightened Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    I love my sil poly, definitely go that route! I'd say go 12' too. It is very lightweight along with being crazy small when packed. It makes my Hennessey look like a blue tarp special! The only issue I've had with my winter dream is one of the metal rings that you connect to the ridgeline gave out under heavy wind. Maybe you're supposed to use both of them at once?

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barren23 View Post
    I love my sil poly, definitely go that route! I'd say go 12' too. It is very lightweight along with being crazy small when packed. It makes my Hennessey look like a blue tarp special! The only issue I've had with my winter dream is one of the metal rings that you connect to the ridgeline gave out under heavy wind. Maybe you're supposed to use both of them at once?
    If you notice all of our photos of the ridge/guy outs show both rings being used. Easy to replace and available at any Michaels store, 12mm Stainless Steel split ring. If you can't find them or if you prefer send us an email and we can drop a few in the mail for you. One will elongate and fail, two work just fine with no reported failures of two rings. Maybe we will get a tag made that we can install on one tie-out indicating to use both the rings prior to shipping.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    I have a Dutch hammock and a 11ft superfly. While it definitely works, I certainly wouldn't mind and extra six inches on the ends. I've also never had an issue with not having enough room in between trees.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I too would recommend 12 feet at least for cooler / wet weather. Sure it weighs a bit more but the added coverage is well worth it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast