WBBB SGL 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Std Cuben
    Insulation
    Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Amok Draumr 3.0, 6'-2" Member, Positive Review

Going into this review I will say that my sole purpose in trying this out was an effort to achieve a comfortable side or stomach lay which I haven't quite found with the WBBB XLC or the Ridgerunner. Because of the weight issue the Amok will not take the place of my modified WBBB Single 1.0 for long mileage backpacking. However, I do have ample opportunity to utilize the Amok on trips where weight is not an issue and improved comfort can prevail.

Shug's great review makes it clear that the 6 footers out there will have no issues with the fit in this hammock. However, for those of us who exceed the 6 foot mark and have been looking for reviews from others like us who have experienced the Kool-Aid the feedback is really sparse and not particularly reassuring.

After the recent special offer, (now appears to be expired), along with the latest published upgrade info regarding an expanded footbox providing comfort for those up to 6'-2" in height, I decided to try it out. Shipping was crazy fast and I had it in my hands two days later. I first tried it out with an old BA Air Core, standard width & length, with very disappointing results. Reading about others experiences with pads and being an extremely cold sleeper convinced me to upgrade to an Exped Downmat 9 LW.

What a difference! I estimate I had it inflated to about 85% and the results were phenomenal. I experienced everything Shug showed in his video. I have no issues that are game changers regarding my 6'-2" height. The bug net did lay on my face a little (I didn't use the head end shock cord in the Amok and I don't use the side pullouts on the Blackbirds either.) My feet may have been slightly tight in the footbox but nothing I haven't experienced in the Blackbirds as well. Fact is, if I lay on my side with legs bent as I intended, none of this comes into play at all.

Side sleeping as well as stomach sleeping is great. Just what I had been looking for.
    I also love the greatly expanded view out the bugnet and sitting up in the reclining position is fantastic! This is definitely a keeper.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.
    Charles Darwin

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    Out-friggin-standing!!! Glad there is another happy Amok owner! Although I'm 6' and on the decreasing side of that measurement, I'm glad a 6'2" tested it out and passed that info for others on the fence about owning an Amok.
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I got the deal and have only been lounging around in mine since a couple weeks ago but I have few doubts I will rest and sleep well in this - but I will wait for my own (hopefully) glowing review after at least an over night trip where I actually sleep in it

I am 72 inches - 6 feet even - my v3.0 is just the right size

Any more I would think it begins to be more questionable with this model. Ymmv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Nice review. Yeah, the Exped Downmat 9 is da bomb! Might be too warm sometimes? I would think so. I only used one in temps to 17 and I was very impressed. So impressed that I tried a RR to see if it would work for me and I didn't like the results. Sold the mat because it was just too heavy to pack, and too expensive to keep around for car camps. If I could get a short/wide downmat, like 60" long (I'm 5'10"), I'd probably still have it and using in my double layer hammock instead of a winter UQ. Seriously, liked it that much.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts