Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images

Orthographic Update!

I am indebted to Mittagsfrost for the following correction:
    Hi,
    I read about your PBH and I like it. The only thing you aren't right is the german naming
    It would be Volksbrückenhängematte or (but less correct) Volks-Brücken-Hängematte instead of VolksBrückeHangmatte.

I will refer to the world version as Volksbrückenhängematte in the future. Where possible, I will correct older posts. Fortunately, "PBH/VBH" still works.
    David

Hammock
    DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    Images
    May the Volksbrückenhängematte not suffer an emissions debacle!
    Omnia vincit lectulus pensilis.

Hammock
    BIAS WW and DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    WV, what is the length of your spreader bars? How many inches would you increase the "waist" for side sleepers? Thanks for showing us your neat design.
    WV,

+1 on the length of your spreader bars. Also, did your testing reveal any sort of relationship between the width of the ends versus the width of the middle?

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    P1030733.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    WV, what is the length of your spreader bars? How many inches would you increase the "waist" for side sleepers? Thanks for showing us your neat design.
    Sorry for the omission. The foot spreader is 25" and the head spreader is 35".

I made (am making - but I slept in it last night) a version that's longer and a bit wider, and it has slightly different proportions so the knee ridge is much lower. This hammock should be receptive to side-sleepers. As I'm not one, I also added an adjustable strap under the knee ridge so I can squeeze it in and make a higher ridge. This seems to work, but I can feel the strap under the hammock a bit. I also used it to hold a JrB Nest UQ up under my knees. Many of you will be clever enough to duplicate this design from my scribbled notes and close-up of one of the corners in the following photo if I add that the head spreader is 37" and the foot spreader is 25". These are almost the same as the spreaders noted above, and in fact, the longer head spreader does work with the first hammock. You may have noted that the spreader lengths don't perfectly match the top edges of the origami end caps, as they should. Make it work. In practice, I either make the end caps first and then cut the spreaders to fit or select the spreaders, and then adjust the end caps to the right lengths for them as I sew the bugnet zippers to the ends.

Hammock
    BIAS WW and DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Leighlo and JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    WV,

Thanks for the dimensions of your spreader bars and the updated design for side sleepers.

I have 2 more questions. First, how do you attach the whopping slings to both ends of the webbing (for some reason I can't envision that unless at least one end is spliced directly onto one of the loops)? Second, do just roll a hem and sew a couple of rows of stitching to support the whoopie slings or use something else to create the channels for the whoopie slings?

Thanks again for sharing your design!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Good questions, Dave-O, as was your earlier one about the relationship between the width of the ends versus the width of the middle.

The channel can be made by cutting the bed fabric 6" wider and folding it over several times to make a multi-layer channel. It can also be made by sewing a separate strip of heavier fabric like supplex folded over the edge. I believe Grizz has used a separate strip of regular fabric doubled and then folded. I once found some pre-folded 2" grosgrain. It was perfect; I'd like to find some more. At the places where the amsteel or dynaglide whoopie exits the channel to attach to the corner straps, I sew on a short piece of wide webbing for reinforcement, then melt a hole in the layers for the cord to pass through. Do that before you fold (or attach) the channel.

The corner straps are made with a piece about 24" long, that's folded in thirds to make a loop at each end. In the photo I used 5/8" mule tape from old mod, Spam.
    For other hammocks I have used 1/2" polyester webbing from DIY Gear Supply. The parallel stitching is similar to what I use for tree strap loops, so I know it's a strong attachment to the hammock bed.

The locked brummel on the end of the whoopie sling is attached to one strap with a larks head knot. Then I thread the cord through the channel and pass it through the loop at the other end before burying it (inside the channel) to make the adjustable part of the whoopie sling.

Now for the earlier question. I'd like to think that the angle between the two straight edges of the side could be an indicator of how much of a knee ridge the hammock would have, but it may not be that simple, because there are other variables, such as the relative widths of the head and foot ends. A number of earlier prototypes had two ridges - one for the knees and another smaller one for the lower back - so the hammock edge had three straight edge sections instead of two. When I made those hammocks the angle was a very good indicator of ridge height, but I wasn't varying the end widths at all from one hammock to the next. Now I've decided one ridge is likely to be more comfortable and to fit a greater variety of hangers.

Back to work on the head end cap, after which I'll post a video of the new hammock.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-O View Post
    WV,

Thanks for the dimensions of your spreader bars and the updated design for side sleepers.

I have 2 more questions. First, how do you attach the whopping slings to both ends of the webbing (for some reason I can't envision that unless at least one end is spliced directly onto one of the loops)? Second, do just roll a hem and sew a couple of rows of stitching to support the whoopie slings or use something else to create the channels for the whoopie slings?

Thanks again for sharing your design!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Images

PBH for side sleepers

See the attached photo to compare hammock shapes. The angle at the knee does seem to be a good indicator of how high a ridge there will be. The new hammock is seen in this video.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I thought I had already responded, but can't find it.

I am, as always, excited to see your mind at work as you constantly add more & more innovations, WV! You're always either pushing the envelop on high tech or, in this case, bringing high tech to the common man (and woman, of course). Thank you, WV!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    Hilleberg UL 10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

People's Bridge Hammock - first glimpse

Seeing this design made me jump from "If I can find the time to make a bridge I would." To "I could totally make one of these!"

Just need to jot down all the details for this. Thank you for sharing! It looks great!

Images
    Thank you so much for sharing with us, WV!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast