Thread: UQ design

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DANGERBIRD
    Insulation
    EE Revelation
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Biners

UQ design

Should be getting a few care packages from Dutch and RBTR later this week, I'm still trying to hammer out exactly how I want to run the baffles. I have the quilt calc which provides info for running long baffles the entire length of the quilt, but I'm intrigued by the karo step design. I know on the tube baffle layout I need to make the outer layer wider so that it doesn't compress the down when it's wrapped. If I went to a Karo step would I need to make the outside wider and longer since it's in effect creating a boxed baffle? Or do I just make them the same size and run a straight up channel around the perimeter? I like the ease of sewing on the tubes, but I gather that the down is a little more involved when stuffing, whereas the Karo is alot more challenging on sewing, but easier to fill. I also like the look of the Karo, any thoughts?

Hammock
    Dogger
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by starrgazer5209 View Post
    If I went to a Karo step would I need to make the outside wider and longer since it's in effect creating a boxed baffle? Or do I just make them the same size and run a straight up channel around the perimeter? I like the ease of sewing on the tubes, but I gather that the down is a little more involved when stuffing, whereas the Karo is alot more challenging on sewing, but easier to fill. I also like the look of the Karo, any thoughts?
    I really like the karo step and have used it in my UQ and TQ. I chose it for the same reason, ease of inserting the down. I was recycling the down from several resale quilts that I had so I didn't want to try and measure out even amounts for tubular baffles.

I only made adjustments for the width as I figure the UQ bends more that way then it does for the length. There are a lot of really good youtube videos that will show you different ways of doing it, including making allowances for both length and width. That was a little too complicated for me so what I did was mark off the center of the quilt on both pieces. I marked out all my baffles measuring out from the center and just made the bottom wider than the top. Not the purist way to do it but it seemed to work fine for me. I used 4" baffles. I figured as long as I had the baffles lined up it would be fine. Here is a link to my underquilt project: https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...t=total+resale

Let me know if you decide to go with Karo and I can give you some helpful tips that I learned from my research/project.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DANGERBIRD
    Insulation
    EE Revelation
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Biners
    Quote Originally Posted by kg8jk View Post
    I really like the karo step and have used it in my UQ and TQ. I chose it for the same reason, ease of inserting the down. I was recycling the down from several resale quilts that I had so I didn't want to try and measure out even amounts for tubular baffles.

I only made adjustments for the width as I figure the UQ bends more that way then it does for the length. There are a lot of really good youtube videos that will show you different ways of doing it, including making allowances for both length and width. That was a little too complicated for me so what I did was mark off the center of the quilt on both pieces. I marked out all my baffles measuring out from the center and just made the bottom wider than the top. Not the purist way to do it but it seemed to work fine for me. I used 4" baffles. I figured as long as I had the baffles lined up it would be fine. Here is a link to my underquilt project: https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...t=total+resale

Let me know if you decide to go with Karo and I can give you some helpful tips that I learned from my research/project.
    The more i think about it, I'm almost certain I'll go to a Karo step layout. I love my EE Revelation which is older, back when they used Karo step design on their topquilts.

Hammock
    DIY 1.0 HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Hexon .9
    Insulation
    DIY quilt/JacksUQ
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    I recently just finished my first Topquilt with this same dilemma. I ended up choosing Karo Step for many of the same reasons suggested, it's easier to stuff and looks cooler! On my next quilt I'm going to try horizontal baffles with a sewn insulated footbox. The Karo is nice, but requires more down to loft so I would take that into consideration or maybe shrink your baffle height 1/2 an inch. I used 3.5 inch baffles with a 1/2 inch allowance ideally getting 2.5 inch baffles and it took 14 oz of 850 fill down to get it right, granted now it's a beast!
    Hope that helps!

Hammock
    DIY 11' DL Robic XL 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter Sil
    Insulation
    DIY UQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Justapner View Post
    I recently just finished my first Topquilt with this same dilemma. I ended up choosing Karo Step for many of the same reasons suggested, it's easier to stuff and looks cooler! On my next quilt I'm going to try horizontal baffles with a sewn insulated footbox. The Karo is nice, but requires more down to loft so I would take that into consideration or maybe shrink your baffle height 1/2 an inch. I used 3.5 inch baffles with a 1/2 inch allowance ideally getting 2.5 inch baffles and it took 14 oz of 850 fill down to get it right, granted now it's a beast!
    Hope that helps!
    I did a modified karo for my tq and a longitudinal traditional layout for my UQ that I recently made. I cut the baffles short of going to be sewn in to the ends by a baffle width for ease of stuffing down. So far I'm happy with both.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DANGERBIRD
    Insulation
    EE Revelation
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Biners
    Quote Originally Posted by airick View Post
    I did a modified karo for my tq and a longitudinal traditional layout for my UQ that I recently made. I cut the baffles short of going to be sewn in to the ends by a baffle width for ease of stuffing down. So far I'm happy with both.

I've thought of that as well, wasn't sure if that'd work or not. Any pics?

Hammock
    DIY 11' DL Robic XL 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter Sil
    Insulation
    DIY UQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by starrgazer5209 View Post
    I've thought of that as well, wasn't sure if that'd work or not. Any pics?
    I posted the top quilt pics a little bit ago in diy as crazy baffle pumpkin spice in the title. I haven't stuffed the UQ yet but will post when I do. Honestly I have no reason to believe it will be any different than a karo especially with the standard 20% overstuff. It'll take some fluffing and shifting to get even amounts in the baffles but it should work the same just slightly more restrictive on one axis where an underquilt needs it. Of course this is all my own opinion. I'll post the UQ when the down gets here and I get it stuffed.

• + New Posts