Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Glk3, DIY TQs
    Suspension
    Mltibkles, Dutch
    Images

Pushing the low end

I've stayed out decently cold before, 21 with my 20* 3/4 UQ, and 24 with just reflectix and a sleeping bag. This winter I'm looking to up my game some but I'm not buying a new UQ. I know all this seems like old hat, but I'm looking for anyone else that's done it: I'd like to supplement my uq with either a pad (I have an insulated klymt v) or reflectix so I can go lower. I've also a vented winter sock from Dutch and a 10* tq from EE on the way.

In my past lows the only cold spots I had were gaps in my diy tq being to small, so hopefully I've got that....covered. And i'm all on board with the staying warm tricks, just really trying to estimate if my bottom supplementation will sabotage me or not. January - February and MI isn't that far away.

Thanks,
    Jason

The pad is definitely going to provide more r-value than the bubble wrap.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Jason, everytime I used a pad to supplement I got more condensation that I wanted to deal with. It could just be me or the weather, but not something I wanted to chance so I gave up on it. It's worth a try, but I'd do it in your backyard or somewhere you can bail if necessary.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    That sock will probably up your temp about 10 degrees, and you might try a pair of heavier weight thermals. Thermals are how I mitigate the temperature difference in the summer and winter where I live. Summertime lightweight or no thermalS, winter time I wear the Midweight military issue ECW thermal. Of course here on the northwest coast it very seldomly gets below 30.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Pads act like a vapor barrier so it gets tricky to prevent condensation. Keeping them on the "warm" side of your insulation system helps (closer to the heat source, you). The overall temperature and dew point factors in too. I added a silnylon UQP to my setup a few years ago in temps hovering just below freezing. In the morning my quilt was damp and there was a puddle in the protector. I slept OK for one night but ended up with wet down.

In my bridge I'll sometimes use a sleeping bag with a foam or thin inflatable pad zipped up inside with me. This works pretty well and has managed to keep the condensation down. I've considered making a sleeve from an old fleece blanket as kind of a "diaper" to absorb the condensation that I can dry out later. I'm not so sure how that will work out for a multi-day trip though.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    I added a silnylon UQP to my setup a few years ago in temps hovering just below freezing. In the morning my quilt was damp and there was a puddle in the protector. I slept OK for one night but ended up with wet down..
    WOW! I had the same thing happen and never heard anyone say the same thing. I figured it was the rain getting in somehow, because there was literally a 1/2cup at least. Supposed to be breathable. Craziest thing I've seen. That was my first and last time - I ditched the protector after that.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    WOW! I had the same thing happen and never heard anyone say the same thing. I figured it was the rain getting in somehow, because there was literally a 1/2cup at least. Supposed to be breathable. Craziest thing I've seen. That was my first and last time - I ditched the protector after that.
    silnylon UQP's are not breathable. Mark could your puddle have been from dew?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    silnylon UQP's are not breathable. Mark could your puddle have been from dew?
    I don't remember the exact fabric, but it was one of the popular ones here and specifically labeled "breathable". Snow on the ground and mild for winter (about 30-38° the whole time). Maybe that could have been a factor.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Yes....that was the silnylon version (non-breathable). I sold it to another member and got the regular ripstop or calendered fabric (breathable) version. I haven't had a problem since. In certain conditions I'm sure the sil version will work fine but in a really humid environment just at or below freezing it acted like a big still....condensing every drop of moisture I was putting out and trapping it beneath my quilt.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    SGT Rock criss-crossed two pads for winter comfort in Michigan. I think there are pictures on his web page. I found it http://hikinghq.net/hammock/wing_pad.html
    grinder

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast