First timer Superior Hiking Trail section for 1-2 nights?

Hey guys,
    I am thinking of a last minute trip this coming weekend for a quick 1 or 2 nighter to the SHT. I have never been up there and would like a little help finding a nice approachable section for a 2 or 3 day hike. I'd probably be good for 5-6 miles a day. I see a lot of the sections don't have any camping areas. Is it OK to just hang somewhere for the night if you are not building a fire or anything? I'm pretty much a hanging and camping noob, so any help or suggestions on where to park and hike would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

What section were you thinking of? I just did 5 days on the trail a couple weeks ago. I hiked from Duluth to Two Harbors; the Martin Road trailhead to the County Road 301 trailhead. This required prior coordination with the SHT shuttle to get dropped off at Martin Road where I hiked back to my car on the other side of Two Harbors.

BTW, the campsites start after the Martin Road trailhead. There isn't any camping allowed on the section through Duluth.

However, for 2 or 3 days, you could probably check out some places like Gooseberry Falls State Park or Split Rock Lighthouse State Park. You could probably do both parks as an out and back if the shuttle schedule doesn't work for you.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Suspension
    NHO Hangtight
    The Superior Hiking Trail Association site has maps and resources on where to camp. From their FAQ, "Do not build additional fire rings or camp in locations other than established campsites.". I'm not sure which areas of the state forests and whatnot allow dispersed camping.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Please DO NOT hang outside of designated campsites. The SHT passes through privately owned properties. Property owners graciously allow hikers to cross their lands because hikers follow SHT guidelines. Recently, the trail needed rerouting when a property owner felt repeatedly slighted by SHT hikers and revoked permission for the SHT to cross his property. Plenty of designated sites, you should be able put together a nice hike.

The State Parks are a great place to start. The parks offer much to see as you pass through on the SHT or to get to the SHT. Leaving your vehicle in the park provides a little bit of security and, should your hike leave you cold, wet or muddy, a quick, warm shower could be had before your return drive to the metro area. Goosberry and Tettegouche are my favorites. If getting out of the metro area late in the day, spend your first night at Jay Cooke before continuing on toward the North Shore. However, make sure you take the time to explore the trails along the St. Louis River.

So much of the North Shore is too spectacular not to stop and take it in.

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

• + New Posts