Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Question TQ shopping advice..

My Snugpak TQ is about at its lower limit for me so I'm shopping for a TQ that will give me a decent buffer and is sized for my shorter height. I just got a JRB winter nest and want to match my TQ temp with it since my Snugpak TQ / UQ will be my 3 season quilts. Here are my options, any advice is greatly appreciated!

HG 0° Burrow, short/standard , sewn footbox- $279

Loco Libre 0° Serrano , 70"/ standard width, 5" taper, insulated footbox- $284

UGQ 0° Flight Jacket , 66L x 50W ,insulated footbox, half taper -$264

Wilderness Logics 0° , 48w x 72l , sewn footbox- $284

Enlightened Equipment 0° Enigma , 850 FP ,short/ slim - $265

I'm 5'6 and don't typically pull my TQ over my head and also find that my Snugpak TQ is WAY too long and wide for me. I plan on hanging in temps that could be as low a 0° with wind chill here at home and at the group hang in New Jersey in January. I can't really order until mid- late November or early December BC I need to buy Xmas gifts for my kids before I spend on myself, so wait times for the vendors could come into play when choosing. All of the quilts I'm looking at seem to be about the same, but I like the shorter length/ width of the WL and EE , price of the EE & UGQ and footbox of them all. What I'm I missing as far as deferences between them? They all seem to be great quilts and what I'm looking for. What are you guys using? How did you decide one over the other when they are all so close in design? Are there any other vendors with TQs like these? Any help deciding or advice is welcome!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Honestly you can't go wrong with any of those on your list. I know that doesn't help much, but they're all great vendors with great products.

I personally used Jared at Mid-Atlantic Mountain Works for my top-quilts (for me and my wife) and he does great work, and will give you a time and have it to you by when he says. He specializes in top-quilts only. There's a short review on my YouTube page if you're interested, link in sig.

Good luck!

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    All good choices. I personally favor the Loco Libre Gear. With George's quilts, it's all about the little details, and his TQs are full of ingenious design points.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    You can't go wrong with any of the vendors on your list but if wait times are an issue, why not go back to JRB for your TQ?
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    All good choices. I personally favor the Loco Libre Gear. With George's quilts, it's all about the little details, and his TQs are full of ingenious design points.
    +1. I now own 4 of his quilts with one on the way.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    You can't go wrong with any of the vendors on your list but if wait times are an issue, why not go back to JRB for your TQ?
    I honestly hadn't even thought of that lol. They have everything in stock for the most part right? I'm pretty much torn between all of the ones I listed, and they are all fairly similar so it's gonna be the small details that make me pick one over another I think. I would probably be fine with a 10° quilt instead of 0° if it helped save a few dollars to get the design I want. I don't want a lot of over stuff, but a little is OK maybe. I figure if I get a 10°,15° or even 20° but need a lot of over stuff to get to the temps I need, I should be getting a lower rated quilt right? That's why I'm just looking at 0°,so I know I'm gonna have enough buffer. The shorter, narrower quilts are what I would rather have I think but if its a little big I can deal with it, just not huge like my Snugpak TQ. A sewn footbox is a must also. Color can be a compromise as well as taper. So you can see, all of the quilts I listed fit this criteria lol. Now I just need to pick! Enie menie.....
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    If you're not in a big hurry you can always wait for some of the holiday sales. Many of the vendors offer some pretty deep discounts on certain items. That's also a good time to keep an eye on the for-sale listings here. Others tend to upgrade so there might be a lightly used TQ in your future.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Honestly you can't go wrong with any of those on your list. I know that doesn't help much, but they're all great vendors with great products.

I personally used Jared at Mid-Atlantic Mountain Works for my top-quilts (for me and my wife) and he does great work, and will give you a time and have it to you by when he says. He specializes in top-quilts only. There's a short review on my YouTube page if you're interested, link in sig.

Good luck!
    Add another contender: MAMW Loft Mountain 0° , 850 hyper DRI goose, Argon 67 inner/ outer , 72x50, half taper. Man this is only getting harder!! Lol. They all look like AWESOME quilts that will do exactly what I need. The longer quilts tho, are at the bottom of this short list but still vary much in contention. How do I pick????

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    I can only speak about the one i know and it's a UGQ Flight jacket and it is amazing, i got one for the wife and i over the last summer and got our real first chance to test them out at the Mahha that just passed and i was very impressed and would buy from then again!

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    If you're not in a big hurry you can always wait for some of the holiday sales. Many of the vendors offer some pretty deep discounts on certain items. That's also a good time to keep an eye on the for-sale listings here. Others tend to upgrade so there might be a lightly used TQ in your future.
    A valid point. As long as I can get it in time to use at the hang in January I don't mind waiting or buying used. Now I'm really unsure of what I want!!! Lol

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast