Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Overnight hammock backpacking spots near San Diego and LA

Hi everybody. I recently just bought the WBBB 1.1 DL and I signed up for this forum to see if anyone knows some great overnight trips with a hammock near San Diego or LA. I'm from San Diego/San ysidro area and I just did the granite springs trail camp in lake cuyamaca to get started and now I'm ready to expand to other great hikes. Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by LenDizzle View Post
    Hi everybody. I recently just bought the WBBB 1.1 DL and I signed up for this forum to see if anyone knows some great overnight trips with a hammock near San Diego or LA. I'm from San Diego/San ysidro area and I just did the granite springs trail camp in lake cuyamaca to get started and now I'm ready to expand to other great hikes. Thanks

Hi there, I was in the area last year for the first time and went up to Cleveland National Forest. There are some pretty nice places to hang a hammock up there if you look hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke View Post
    Hi there, I was in the area last year for the first time and went up to Cleveland National Forest. There are some pretty nice places to hang a hammock up there if you look hard enough.
    Thanks for the reply. Is there any hikes you recommend in the Cleveland national Forest.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Thanks for the reply. Is there any hikes you recommend in the Cleveland national Forest.

I just dayhiked in the Laguna Mountain area. I'm from Ohio, so every inch of trail there was amazing to me. It's just so different, obviously....... I'd never been hiking in any non east coast mountains......what a change.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuban
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,EE, LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie, D-Bling

Welcome neighbor. I'm just north of you in Temecula. Most of my local trips have been up in the San Gorgonio mountain- Momyer trail, Vivian trail, Forsee Creek trail, St Bernadines peak trail all have running water year round and they are dog friendly.

During the hot summer months I head up to The Sierras for cooler temps and lots of water supplies.

There is a SoCal facebook page for local trail reports and group hang info at:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1703112183238178/

Join and put in your trail reports! Always looking for another local place to hang!

Now we're cooking. I downloaded the wilderness permit PDF and it's asking me what camps to choose. What do u recommend for an overnight hammock trip?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuban
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,EE, LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie, D-Bling
    Now we're cooking. I downloaded the wilderness permit PDF and it's asking me what camps to choose. What do u recommend for an overnight hammock trip?

On the Momyer/Falls Creek Trail about a 2.5 hour steep hike to Alger Creek is a great spot with running stream. Up anther 2 miles is Dobbs Creek camping this is a little larger than Alger with a running stream as well. About another 2 miles past that is Saxton camp, there was a small stream running back in the spring not sure if there is still flow.

Vivian trail at the end of Valley of the falls blvd there are 3 camping spots along the way up to San G peak that I would also recommend.

The thing about these two trails is that you are climbing a mountain and both start out very steep, so its a work out if you are in good shape.

If you want something a little less taxing Forsee Creek Trail to Johns Meadow is just a two mile hike from the trail head with only a 200 foot elevation change over all. Its a great hike with multiple water sources along the way with a flowing creek by Johns Meadow. Only takes 1.5 hike and you are out in the piney woods.

The San G trail that I have not yet done is San Bernardino Peak trail. It starts at 5,900 feet and the first camp spot with water is Limber Pine Bench at 9,320 feet but I'm told has great view of the city. Im hoping to get on this trail next weekend if its available.

The summer time these trails are often booked out months in advance, but its also too hot for me those months so head to Sierras. There are a lot of trails on the back side of San G that are still closed due to the fire a couple of years back but if you want something fairly local with running water it a great place to hike if you like the grind of some elevation gain.

If you find any San Diego hikes let me know, always looking for more local trails with water sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Snydman View Post
    On the Momyer/Falls Creek Trail about a 2.5 hour steep hike to Alger Creek is a great spot with running stream. Up anther 2 miles is Dobbs Creek camping this is a little larger than Alger with a running stream as well. About another 2 miles past that is Saxton camp, there was a small stream running back in the spring not sure if there is still flow.

Vivian trail at the end of Valley of the falls blvd there are 3 camping spots along the way up to San G peak that I would also recommend.

The thing about these two trails is that you are climbing a mountain and both start out very steep, so its a work out if you are in good shape.

If you want something a little less taxing Forsee Creek Trail to Johns Meadow is just a two mile hike from the trail head with only a 200 foot elevation change over all. Its a great hike with multiple water sources along the way with a flowing creek by Johns Meadow. Only takes 1.5 hike and you are out in the piney woods.

The San G trail that I have not yet done is San Bernardino Peak trail. It starts at 5,900 feet and the first camp spot with water is Limber Pine Bench at 9,320 feet but I'm told has great view of the city. Im hoping to get on this trail next weekend if its available.

The summer time these trails are often booked out months in advance, but its also too hot for me those months so head to Sierras. There are a lot of trails on the back side of San G that are still closed due to the fire a couple of years back but if you want something fairly local with running water it a great place to hike if you like the grind of some elevation gain.

If you find any San Diego hikes let me know, always looking for more local trails with water sources.
    So I am allowed to camp anywhere along the trails? I don't have to camp at a designated camp spot?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuban
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,EE, LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie, D-Bling
    So I am allowed to camp anywhere along the trails? I don't have to camp at a designated camp spot?

Yes I believe you have to camp in the designated Spots. Let us know how it goes and report back on the SoCal hangers facebook page to get the others fired up about getting out..

Hammock
    Sparrow (DH)
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Here's another suggestion - Idyllwild. I love this area and the hiking it has to offer. You can take an easy hike through the beautiful forest or you can try your luck at reaching San Jacinto Peak 10,834 ft. Lots of camp grounds, but requires a permit. My favorite is to take the Palm Springs Tram to the top and hike the 8 miles into the town of Idyllwild. Makes a great weekend getaway. Good times!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast