Dream Hammock Darien versus Dutch 11' Netless

Hi All,

Like a lot of posters, I am just getting started with hammock camping. I think I've narrowed my choices to either a Dream Hammock Darien or a Dutchware 11' Netless. They seem to be relatively similar (size/price) hammocks especially if I choose the 11' length for the Darien and choose the separate bug net for the Dutchware. There are a few differences though that I want opinions on.

1. The bug net. The Darien would be attached and the Dutchware would be separate. I like the idea of having a separate bug net so I can keep it off it I don't need it. But I'm wondering how well it hangs over the hammock. The Darien looks like the bugnet pulls tight to keep it off of you. Does the separate bug net of the Dutchware keep somewhat tight or is it somewhat floppy? Does anyone have any other comments about attached or separate?

2. The knotty mod. The Dutchware has the option to add a Knotty mod which I like. Does the Darien not need a knotty mod because the attached bug net helps to tend the slack of the hammock fabric?

3. Are there any other major/minor differences between the two that I should be aware of?

4. I hear a lot of people singing the praises of the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC. It is $50-$60 more expensive than my other two options and it would weigh 5-6 more ounces too. Why is it worth it?

Thanks!

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have one of each, so I could probably shed some light on this situation for you.

1. I like that my netless is well... netless, there is nothing like sleeping netless in your hammock. However, I've backpacked with my Darien in but free weather, and have just flopped the net up and out of the way. The Darien's bugnet does pull tight off of our face, but I find that I need to use the pull-outs to really spread out the hammock. I don't have an issue with my Dutch-net getting in my face either, but ymmv. I like the Darien for bug season backpacking, and I like my Dutch Hexon 1.0 for when I'm trying to go really light, or for bug-free season. Kinda depends on my mood.

2. If you have a Darien you don't need to worry about a knotty mod. The bugnet only unzips on one side, and I find that the attached net by my feet does just a find job of keeping my topquilt and small pad in the hammock.

3. You can get a Hexon 1.0 from Dutch. Randy doesn't do single layers smaller than HyperD 1.6. Each has pros and cons that the other doesn't have. It really comes down to personal preference. I find that I kinda bounce from my netless over to my Darien, kinda just depends on my mood. They're both really comfy, well made quality hammocks.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior 11' Digi Woodland 1.9
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I'm actually in a similar dilemma (considering a second hammock) so I'm looking forward to some replies on this.

Another option I thought of was the Dream Hammock Sparrow. It has a completely removable bug net and optional (and also completely removable) overcover.

I think when the bugnet and overcover were both removed, it would certainly be lighter than my current Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip but likely not as light as the plain Dutch 11' netless... yet... the Sparrow allows for a full 4 season setup... and you can leave what you don't need at home.

Hammock
    Town's End bridge
    Tarp
    MWG Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/Thermarest
    Suspension
    straps/buckles
    Images
    The perks of the XLC are it's storage shelf, removable net, 63" width and footbox designed to minimize calf ridge. I've since moved to a Ridgerunner, but am also eyeballing less pricey gathered ends, despite my inability to sleep well in them

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC and WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly and WD 13
    Insulation
    JRB HG AHE Lynx
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by happydensity View Post
    The perks of the XLC are it's storage shelf, removable net, 63" width and footbox designed to minimize calf ridge. I've since moved to a Ridgerunner, but am also eyeballing less pricey gathered ends, despite my inability to sleep well in them
    +1 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have an XLC and really like it, I've also tried several other gathered ends BUT when I tried the RidgeRunner Bridge I've never been more comfortable. Plus the bugnet easily rolls up out of the way. Sorry to confuse you and you can't go wrong with any of the listed choices

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow #4280
    Insulation
    LocoLibreGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies w spiders
    Here is a video review of the Darien by Sintax77 Dream Hammock Darien - Ultralight Hammock Review

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The integrated bug net is a little more convenient during bug season, but I prefer unintegrated so I can use the hammock without the bug net when I don't need it. You can't go wrong with either one though.

• + New Posts