Hammock
    WBBB XLC, DUTCHWARE, ETC...
    Tarp
    HG WP/Standard
    Insulation
    HG INCUBATOR/PHOEN
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Cinch
    On a quick read, it sounds like you failed to seam-seal your tarp at the joints and any sewn places. Also, running your ridge line off the ends instead of underneath the tarp would help considerably in really rainy conditions.
    I hate it when people accuse me of lolly gagging when I'm clearly dilly dallying...

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    Use masking tape either side of the seams. Dilute silicone bathroom sealant 1:1 with mineral spirits. Peg out tarp. Paint on. Remove masking tape. Leave to dry.
    Dust on talc to remove stickiness.

What sort of drip-stops have you on your ridgeline and suspension?

Thanks bud...When do you dust on the talc powder?

--
    Gadget
    Volcanoes and waterfalls, trees and hammocks,
    Columbia River gorge, in Benson Burner's attic.
    http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Images
    How long is a piece of strung? Leave it to dry completely, might take hours, might take days, depends on heat and humidity. The silicone will remain tacky on the surface, talc'ing the silicone stops it sticking to itself.

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I never use any pull-outs or "tabs" on the ridgeline area of my tarps. It always seems to me that the constant movement in windy weather would cause the seaming to leak. One that comes to mind is my Z-packs tarp with doors. Even though I never used the mitten hook on the middle of the ridgeline seam, I have had to seal it 4 times. Definitely seam-seal the side panel pulls. If you have a mesh tarp skin, make sure it is not sagging underneath the tarp and wicking water under the tarp, as it will then follow the ridgeline seam under the tarp as the path of least resistance. I have had that happen also. I have also gotten condensation on the underside of my tarp (cuben fiber, so not "misting") and when the rain became harder, it hammered the condensation down on top of me. Most generally, you should not be getting wet unless you in a gale or something or using a tiny tarp, which yours is not.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Definitely leaking at the stitches and probably had a nice run of water coming down the CRL under your tarp. Run the CRL over top of tarp. This prevents rain from traveling the line and dripping in your shelter. It also prevents wear on the fabric inside. Seam seal all the areas where stitching is as mentioned above.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images
    Thanks everyone. My update:
    I seam sealed my ridge line, and also the underside of the pull outs.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by Benson Burner View Post
    Thanks everyone. My update:
    I seam sealed my ridge line, and also the underside of the pull outs.
    So how did it go? I need to seal one of my DIY tarps, just afraid of having icky streaks on the white tarp.

I know the area you were Hanging in. I have had problems with misting. I learned how to make my Hennessey stock tarp work for me while Hanging there. Trial by weather.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Benson Burner View Post
    OK, thanks guys, for the interest and such, the tarp is drying undercover now, so here is the skinny:
    It is a 12' Old man winter, it is sil/nylon, It has doors (one side velcroed) the other side (d-ringed, biner-ed, tensioned together as doors (no rain came through the doors, via natural rain, "perhaps" some matriculated via gravity and running down the (under the tarp) style Continual ridge line, but most was percolating through 5 zones: al four pullout so, and the worst part was the hangy thing, I guess you run the interior pole mod through to keep it centered, water was wicking down that at a rapid pace. So the fiddling I did was this: wrapping that thing around the pole mod so that the pole was the drip strip, and that would work until I moved around or it would fall, and re-direct the dripping all over my Downy goodness (Manley my HG incubator which was. Hour out of the box-brand new) so I was scared I was going to get it wet, turns out my top quilt had puddles in it a couple times when I'd fall asleep and my hand would go in there and I'd wake up. Have to say the JRB old man winter held the water back and kept the down dry (as far as I know) the UQP protected my UQ, I also got a drops on my head (which I couldn't figured why, maybe that was due to either the misty fog accumulating, and dropping or the water was breaching and running down the straps (although I had plenty of make shift drip strips attached, in case-that was the case. The center of the tarp leaking was what was getting my quilt and hands/arms wet. The pullout only affected what I had laying out under then. So I felt I needed to seam seal, but I have never done it, and don't want to practice on my tarp (which I love despite the function) I love these vendors and am not sore. I was testing it out (I have other tarps which are proven, this just was my "upgrade" I was testing it so I wouldn't be out there testing it) now the weather was pretty good for testing a tarp: it was a light pour 3/4" in about 10 hours ~. With a light mist/fog too. I was using the interior pole mod. . . .
    Thanks guys...
    Yes, Wilderness Logics larger tarps like Old Man Winter and Bullfrog with a ridgeline seam need sealing prior to use.

He says right on the webpage for it that you should seal it, and if you ask for any mods to your order via email, he mentions it then as well.

I used mine prior to sealing, but knowing that I was taking a risk, and lost. Make sure it's completely dry before you try to seal it.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    So how did it go? I need to seal one of my DIY tarps, just afraid of having icky streaks on the white tarp.

I know the area you were Hanging in. I have had problems with misting. I learned how to make my Hennessey stock tarp work for me while Hanging there. Trial by weather.
    I am bringing it to Indian heaven later today [2 nighter], there is rain in the forecast, and lows of 34°, all in all a good tester. I will record its performance and iF I can figure out YouTube I'll try to post a trip report

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WalksIn2Trees View Post
    Yes, Wilderness Logics larger tarps like Old Man Winter and Bullfrog with a ridgeline seam need sealing prior to use.

He says right on the webpage for it that you should seal it, and if you ask for any mods to your order via email, he mentions it then as well.

I used mine prior to sealing, but knowing that I was taking a risk, and lost. Make sure it's completely dry before you try to seal it.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
    There is some truth in that. Regardless, it's seam sealed now.Right or wrong this was m y procedure:
    I hung in the covered barn, and seam sealed the outside ridge line. When I finished I noticed the smallest moisture droplets on the middle tie out, which I hadn't seen prior. This indicated to me that my ENTIRE tarp was not COMPLETELY dry prior to the first coat of sealant to the top. It was too late, but the tarp top seam completel dry. I let it hang for 28 hours, Then seam sealed the underside of the panel pulls, and the underside of the redline, I let it hang for 30 hours. Then I bundled it up...Gulp

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast