Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Claytor no net, hammock sock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    So your lower legs, knees and feet do not get chilled or cold when you roll over and move around while you sleep? Is the Yeti constructed to move around with you as you sleep? Is it suppose to slide under the weight of your shoulders and body? If it was, then that would be good. It would be functioning like a smaller version of a KAQ. I like the elastic cords on the KAQ and how easy it is to adjust the underquilt from inside the hammock while one is sleeping.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My lower legs and feet have stayed warm with cold temperatures while using a top quilt. Right now that small winter pad I'm using is only a 3/8" and it's fine. The Yeti stays in place quite well... you wouldn't want it to move around. It wraps around your body as designed. The Yeti adjusts very easily from inside the hammock and it's only a matter of sliding it to the right position and then centering it once you're in. As far as moving around during the night, I've found that I don't toss and turn like I do when in a bed. I get into my favorite position and that's where I, happily, stay.
    I my Warbonnet

Hammock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    I plan to spend my time hiking and using my hammock up in Northern New York and Vermont.. Most of the places I camp are cold even in the summer months.

Images
    folks that move around and find they have an issue with it slipping off the shoulder might try clipping the shockcord to the uppermost tieout near your head, a small mini biner or a mitten hook will do.

shoulder slippage is just something that can happen with a narrower uq, the uq needs to be pulled over farther to the side than does a wider quilt. the narrower the quilt, the farther off-center it has to shift. clipping it to the head tieout should hold it in place well enough for those who feel they need it. if there are no bugs out, i usually leave the zipper opened 6" or so and reach out to re-adjust it after i change positions during the night.

it's also possible to rig the suspension a little differently so there's a bit more tension on the zipper side and less on the shelf side, this should fix the problem as well.

as for the leg pad, if it's in the hammock with you, it's easy to shift it into a new position if you want to move your legs, kinda like moving your pillow for the same reason.

i've also had sucess cutting my leg pad narrow enough so it fits inside the footbox of my sleeping bag/topquilt.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    For some reason I wasn't getting emails that folks had responded to this. Let me respond with some of my thoughts on the questions.

The pad I used

I used a pad that was MASSIVE OVERKILL. I could have easily used one half that size (mine was doubled over in fact). now, I'm not sure if a Thermarest seat pad would be big enough, but I plan to borrow one, and try it. I just want to do it when it's in the Summer months and I'm not risking anything. I'm also planning on getting some of the reflective nylon and trying my luck with it. Ultimately foot warmth is something I want to investigate simply because I believe it can be done a lot easier/lighter making the 2/3 length quilt the best option.

The size of the person
    I'm 6' 2" tall with broad shoulders. The shoulder slippage I talked about is easily remedied as Brandon has already mentioned in this thread. To me, it's a non-issue.

Someone also said it sounded like a shorter version of a KAQ. I'm not familiar with the KAQ quilt, but I have to say that's a pretty obvious statement to me. They're both underquilts, so yes they are the same just as one car is the same as any other car

Hammock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    I wonder how well that insulating silver liner will boost the temperature of the Yeti Winter Quilt? Has anyone tested the range of difference between using the Yeti by itself and using the Yeti with the underliner? How much warmer is this difference? If it is substantial I will purchase one of these sliver liners for my Yeti.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Speer Pea Pod
    Has anyone measured the increase in temperature created by using the reflective silver liner which comes along with the Yeti?

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by joggerjohn View Post
    I wonder how well that insulating silver liner will boost the temperature of the Yeti Winter Quilt? Has anyone tested the range of difference between using the Yeti by itself and using the Yeti with the underliner? How much warmer is this difference? If it is substantial I will purchase one of these sliver liners for my Yeti.
    The liner also acts as a vapor barrier which is handy for keeping your down from getting damp and losing insulation. It's not just a matter of a few spare degrees.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    It may have been in the mid-twenties where LittleBryan was pitched, but the thermometer on my left wrist never dipped below 63. Site selection!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12