Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images

No-Ground Poles 3.0: some tips and photos

a 360 sphere panoramic, also a one pole setup. Previous two nights though, I used a two pole setup. I've got to adjust a bit, still, but fyi, the poles are so much stronger with the tarp fully guyed. Because of the one pole setup this time, I used the second pole to help anchor the tarp.

https://goo.gl/photos/MG97aXbMZ7DpL5wm6

You can use the extra spreader bar pieces to make a taller tarp extension
    But because this attaches to the threaded post at the top, you have to guy-out the tarp extension to prevent the stress of the tarp from breaking it right off. Here you can see I used a single tarp ridgeline with a larks-head at the tarp extension.

I pull the ridgeline tight while holding the tarp extension at its proper angle, then tighten the larks-head. While holding the line tight, I walk out to put the stake in.

The soil where I'm setting up is mostly sand, so sometimes it takes a few tries and some creativity to get the stakes to hold

Cheryl recommends placing a board or flat rock under the foot of the pole to prevent it from sinking, but I let mine sink into the sand and it creates a nice stable setup. The down side to this is that sometimes my gear hammock comes a bit close to the ground.

All in all, since my No-Ground Poles arrived, I've setup with two poles, and just one pole. When used with a tarp, fully guyed out, it's really, really, stable.

At some point I'll be recording a video till then if you have any questions feel free to ask

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

I'm very curious to see the video, I can't quite tell what is going on here?

Yeah what's going on here? Are you setting up a hammock using a pole?

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images
    Yes that's what he's doing shug just did a thread on these
    In the shadows

Where's it at?

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Here is the video.

And the thread.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    NX - 250, WBBB XLC, Grand Trunk SBP
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    whoopie sllings
    Images
    I just got mine and set it up for the first time in the back yard.

20170201_165712.jpg

My soil was so soft the stakes wouldn't hold so i tied to the base of the fence posts and it's feels solid.

20170201_165700.jpg
    20170201_170803.jpg

WBBB XLC with tarp in snakeskins.

20170201_170727.jpg
    20170201_170920.jpg
    20170201_170813.jpg

I'm happy with it. Maybe i'll invest in some bigger alamosa anchors.

These are mighty tempting, more so for yard hanging. I'm limited to two trees in my hard but then I face the neighbor. I'd love to hang the other way!

I just got some of these and haven't had an opportunity to try them yet. I'm sure I can figure it out when I get there; but, I have a question. Using the two pole setup, what is the best way to set these up. I'm thinking tension on pole one needs to be established by hooking the hammock to it after it is guy'd out, then, while keeping tension, stretch to other end and hook suspension to 2nd pole. Then, maintain tension on whole setup while holding second pole into position and then maintain tension through guy lines while staking. Is that the process?

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSky! View Post
    I just got some of these and haven't had an opportunity to try them yet. I'm sure I can figure it out when I get there; but, I have a question. Using the two pole setup, what is the best way to set these up. I'm thinking tension on pole one needs to be established by hooking the hammock to it after it is guy'd out, then, while keeping tension, stretch to other end and hook suspension to 2nd pole. Then, maintain tension on whole setup while holding second pole into position and then maintain tension through guy lines while staking. Is that the process?
    Maybe others do it differently, but this is my one man process. (A helper can make this much faster)

Ok, you have them both assembled in pole mode, and you're ready to begin:

Mostly plan out your location and view direction... Note that this may change depending on where you can sink the anchors.

Half-shorten the guylines, lay your first end on the ground and deploy your anchors. Leave enough slack to raise it to about the proper support angle (a bit of that formerly useless Pythagorean theorem is now suddenly useful, but remember that it's only approximate... Just enough to get it up)

Raise that pole and slide back is foot to repair jam it in place (don't worry if it's not at the optimal, this is just to get it up)

Hook up that end of the hammock, then get the other pole, and hook it up to the other end. Bring it up to get an approximate angle and mark the foot position, then lay it back down. Use this foot position to place the second set of anchors, then raise it again. It should now be "sort of setup"

Get whichever end you want to serve as your fixed-end into a mostly optimal condition... Don't forget something to help keep the foot from sinking if you're on soft ground, although it's really more stable if you can sink it a couple of inches, but then too, it will keep sinking as you use it, and next you know, your butt is touching on the ground in the morning. Move it around, change the view angle, square up the guylines to the ridgeline direction of force, etc... This is much easier in this stage, before any tension has been applied by your weight in the hammock.

Adjust it so you can straddle it, but also so that the hangle looks correct.

Next you have to "settle it in"
    Straddle your hammock carefully. Very carefully (never shock it, never fully trust your weight to it until you know it's ok) apply a small amount of weight by squatting slightly. In the sandy soil here, 9/10ths of the time, at least one anchor would pull up at this stage...re-anchor, take precautions, get creative... I was able to use a nearby bush that was well established to redirect the forces in play on the stake, so that the bush was the anchor, and all the stake did was keep the line tensioned.

Once the system will take your full weight, you're ready to go. You'll need to make further smaller adjustments to get the hang correct as it becomes clearer how much the lines and hammocking will stretch when loaded, and this is why you adjust the guylines to half-way at the beginning, so you can go either way.

If you're using a ridgeline, you'll want to anchor that as well.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

• + New Posts