Dutchware 11'
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    EE Rev 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

How Did You Get Started? It seems expensive

I've been flirting with the hammock idea for years but never fully got into it due to the expense.

I like in Florida so a double layer bug net hammock is a must. Along with a decent tarp due to rains.

My problem is, I see the initial investment price of hammock, tarp, and uq being very high compared to an ultra light tent (~$300 - $400).

How did you get started into hammock camping? Did you go all in or pick and choose pieces?

Thanks for any advice.

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    I made most of my gear...hammock, quilts, bug net, my first tarp was a cannibalized tent rainfly. I didn't have extra money to spend on gear, so I made stuff as I went along. I think the majority of hangers pick and choose and have a mixture of DIY, cottage vendor and retail items. I'm a big believer is using what you have that works. You can always build your kit slowly as funds allow. Buying or trading for good used gear is a great way to do it, too.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    First I purchased a used ENO DBL which I donated to my brother. It was ok but did not have bug net I wanted.

My next purchase was a HH Expedition with classic entry which is still my go to hammock during bug season. To it I added a no sew Poncho Liner UQ which you can find HERE. In fact for under 200.00 this is still my summer set up but I did have 2QZQ do a Mod 4 to give me zippers on both sides and added Dutch suspension to it. After I figured out I really liked the HH I invested in The Nest UQ from Jacks R Better but I got started for way less than 200.00.

You can do it even cheaper by getting one of Dutch's 11' closeout hammocks HERE for 35.00 including suspension, Add in a bottom entry Bug Net 57.00HERE, then pick up a Walmart special blue tarp for about 10.00, Add in the No Sew UQ for the price of a PL UQ at 20.00 and you are all set for Fl weather at about 120.00.

Bad news is you would end up replacing all of the items above pretty quickly with higher cost items but it would certainly get you through your first year and allow you to replace items as your budget permits.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images
    Paypal credit gotta love America!
    In the shadows

I got into it little by little. I bought a hammock first, hung in it quite a few times in the back yard (some of the best naps ever...), eventually bought a Kelty Noah tarp and then took the gear camping. It was August, so I didn't necessarily need an underquilt. I also took a sleeping bag liner for a little top insulation.

Speaking of, I used a full sleeping bag for quite a few trips before I got my topquilt. Somewhere in the middle of this, I bought a hammock from Dutch, with whoopies, to save more weight. Then I started slowly looking at everything else to lose weight; topquilt, cookset, water filter, etc.

Just go at your own pace. This isn't a race. Buy/upgrade stuff whenever you can afford it. Take it on a trip and enjoy. I love using my nice, light gear on trips or just the quick overnight. Could it be nicer and lighter? Yup. That's why I have a job...

Hammock
    Dutchware 11'
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    EE Rev 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Great information here. Thanks for all the responses.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11'
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    EE Rev 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    First I purchased a used ENO DBL which I donated to my brother. It was ok but did not have bug net I wanted.

My next purchase was a HH Expedition with classic entry which is still my go to hammock during bug season. To it I added a no sew Poncho Liner UQ which you can find HERE. In fact for under 200.00 this is still my summer set up but I did have 2QZQ do a Mod 4 to give me zippers on both sides and added Dutch suspension to it. After I figured out I really liked the HH I invested in The Nest UQ from Jacks R Better but I got started for way less than 200.00.

You can do it even cheaper by getting one of Dutch's 11' closeout hammocks HERE for 35.00 including suspension, Add in a bottom entry Bug Net 57.00HERE, then pick up a Walmart special blue tarp for about 10.00, Add in the No Sew UQ for the price of a PL UQ at 20.00 and you are all set for Fl weather at about 120.00.

Bad news is you would end up replacing all of the items above pretty quickly with higher cost items but it would certainly get you through your first year and allow you to replace items as your budget permits.

Thanks for the links and info. This is really good for a newbie like me.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    First I started to Crawl (Out of a tent)
    Then I started to Walk (From tree to tree with my one and only WBBB)
    Then I started to Fly (In the Downy Cloud of HG and UG Quilts)
    Like a baby till the bow breaks!
    The Circle of Life

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    Ultra-light tent: $430 (BA Copper Spur UL2)
    Sleeping pad: $100 (Klymit Static V Light)
    Sleeping bag/quilt: $300 (EE Revelation)
    Total: $830
    These are actually very conservative costs

Tarp: $140 (WB Superfly)
    Hammock and Bugnet: $120 (Dutchware Netless and Fronkey Bugnet)
    TQ and UQ: $500 (Loco Libre Gear)
    Total: $760

By my calculations they are very similar to get started with if you started from scratch with both.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    and monitor the for sale area on this site! But have a good idea of what you'd like to try and the "new" price. I built a simple spread sheet of stuff and prices. That way when you see an item for sale, a quick check of your spread sheet and you can quickly decide to go/no-go sale.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast